[net.veg] If we all become herbivores

devi@maisha.DEC (Gita L. Devi PKO1/D1 223-7046) (08/21/85)

I'd like to respond to Barry Steel.  I'm sorry if you interpreted my statements
to mean that meat alone is the cause of man's problems.  Obviously, this is
not the case: you can add alcohol, drugs, fast-paced life, improper eating in
general to the list.  But - assuming that you are a well-read person who cares
about health, you cannot deny the link between a meat-based diet and disease.
And neither can the medical establishment, although this has been a long time
coming.

I'd like to refer you to a very interesting, if provocative book, that could
prove enlightening:

	Vegetarianism, A Way of Life, by Dudley Giehl

Mr. Giehl has an excellent chapter called, Anatomy, Diet, and Disease in
which he goes into detail about the deleterious effects of a meat-based
diet.  To quote him briefly:

"...if more protein is consumed than in needed for its basic function
 (tissue repair), the excess amino acids (protein constituents) are
 converted to fuel uses.  The nitrogen portion of these amino acids
 becomes waste.  It is, therefore, evident that a high-protein  diet
 necessarily produces excessive waste, especially nitrogenous waste.
  In addition to the waste created as a result of excessive protein
 intake, meat in itself contains its own waste products.  When an
 animal is slaughtered, its metabolic process ceases.  The cells can
 no longer receive their necessary nutriments nor are they able to
 pass off their waste products.  Therefore, by eating meat we are
 taking into our own bodies the waste products contained in the animal's
 body.  It should be apparent that by eating flesh we are doing more
 than simply taking additional waste into our systems.  Aside from
 the issue of quantity, these wastes are of a more pernicious nature
 than those created as part of our own metabolism.  The animal, after
 all, is now dead.
  The waste products created by flesh foods are retained in the human
 body for a substantially longer period of time than in the body of
 any of the carnivorous species..."

"...Waste is stored in the colon before it is finally eliminated from
 the body.  Essentially no digestion occurs in the colon.  Various
 digestive juices that serve to detoxify pathogens during digestion are
 not present in the colon; there are only residues of these secretions.
 Consequently, the warmth, moisture, and lack of antiseptic agents
 makes the colon an ideal environment for harmful bacteria to breed.
 ...It is widely believed that there is a relationship between meat
 consumption and cancer of the colon....."

He goes on and on...Read the book.

Gita Devi

barrys@tekecs.UUCP (Barry Steel) (08/26/85)

In article <64@decwrl.UUCP> devi@maisha.DEC (Gita L. Devi PKO1/D1  223-7046) writes:
>I'd like to respond to Barry Steel.  I'm sorry if you interpreted my statements
>to mean that meat alone is the cause of man's problems.  Obviously, this is
>not the case: you can add alcohol, drugs, fast-paced life, improper eating in
>general to the list.  But - assuming that you are a well-read person who cares
>about health, you cannot deny the link between a meat-based diet and disease.
>And neither can the medical establishment, although this has been a long time
>coming.
>
>I'd like to refer you to a very interesting, if provocative book, that could
>prove enlightening:
>
>	Vegetarianism, A Way of Life, by Dudley Giehl

>Gita Devi

I would agree that alcohol, drugs, etc. are certainly some of man's problems.
But is there evidence that the eating of meat increases man's agressive
behavior?  I'm genuinely curious.

I will check out the book.

barry  steel