[net.veg] Any Blue Cheese Salad Dressing Recipes?

dan@ciprico.UUCP (Dan A. Dickey) (09/18/85)

Ok...Can some of you people dig into your files and post your best Blue
Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe?  What recomendations would you make for
the Blue Cheese?
--
-Dan A. Dickey		ihnp4!rosevax!ciprico!dan

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/21/85)

When I make a sour cream-based blue cheese dressing, I grate or crumble -
depending on the particular cheese - as much as I want for as strong
a dressing as I want of the cheese into a bowl, add a pint of sour
cream, and some milk and/or vegetable oil to thin it to the right
consistency.  Herbs, garlic, and onion can be added if desired.  Dill
and garlic make a sonderful combination with the cheese.  It can be
used immediately, but has a better flavor if it's refrigerated for at
least a couple of hours and preferably over night, especially if herbs
are used.

I also like, now and then, an oil and vinegar or oil and red wine dressing
with crumbled blue cheese in it.  If you use vinegar, use a red wine vinegar;
just using wine that hasn't turned works very well, too.  Oil, wine, garlic
and cheese are all I use in it.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (09/23/85)

> Ok...Can some of you people dig into your files and post your best Blue
> Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe?  What recomendations would you make for
> the Blue Cheese?
> --
> -Dan A. Dickey		ihnp4!rosevax!ciprico!dan

Toss out the blue Cheese, it seems to have spoiled. Use Bleu
Cheese instead.
--
Suzanne Barnett

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

niemi@astroatc.UUCP (09/24/85)

> ...Blue Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe?
>  What recomendations ... for the Blue Cheese?
> -Dan A. Dickey		ihnp4!rosevax!ciprico!dan

Quick and dirty -- Prepare Hidden Valley Ranch Style Buttermilk
Dressing per package instructions (I prefer the real buttermilk
type -- drink the excess buttermilk -- try it, you'll like it).
Crumble in any blue cheese, (say 3-4 oz. per quart of dressing).
Age one week.  Enjoy.

		Bob Niemi, Astronautics, Madison, WI
		...uwvax!astroatc!niemi

brown@aero.ARPA (Leonard Brown) (09/24/85)

In article <171@ciprico.UUCP> dan@ciprico.UUCP (Dan A. Dickey) writes:
>Ok...Can some of you people dig into your files and post your best Blue
>Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe?  What recomendations would you make for
>the Blue Cheese?

My favorite use of Blue Cheese in salad is to toss crumbled Blue Cheese
with a simple salad of lettuce (several types), tomatoes, peppers.  Then
just before serving to toss again with a simple vinaigrette dressing.
I usually only add salt and pepper to the vinaigrette, and often replace
half the vinegar with lemon juice.  I really prefer this to the white
dressings with mayonnaise or whatever.
   If some of your guests don't like blue cheese, you can also delay adding
it until you've asked around the table.  Then you can toss one bowl with
cheese and dressing, and another with only dressing.
   I've found that the drier looking cheeses are sharper, and also have a
better texture for eating in salad than the smooth, glossy looking blue
cheeses.  Stilton is prefect, but many American blues are quite adequate.
--
Leonard Brown:  brown@aerospace.ARPA
                brown@aero.UUCP

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (09/27/85)

> Ok...Can some of you people dig into your files and post your best Blue
> Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe?  What recomendations would you make for
> the Blue Cheese?
> -Dan A. Dickey		ihnp4!rosevax!ciprico!dan

I tried for a long time to make this.  Recipes I saw were complicated,
used oil & vinegar & eggs (like making mayo + some other stuff).  None
really worked the way I liked.  So I struck out on my own.  The best ones
I came up with are very simple, a lot like making a dip.  Here goes.

Blue Cheese Dressing 1 :
Mix equal amounts of crumbled blue cheese and sour cream.  Add a little
lemon juice if you like.

Blue Cheese Dressing 2 : (less caloric, less creamy, but good!)
Use yoghurt instead of sour cream in recipe 1.

I tried using mayo, but it doesn't taste right.
As far as choices of blue cheese goes, I can think of worse fates than
tried the brands available locally.  Most cheese stores will give you
a taste (unless it is in a prewrapped package).  Stilton (English blue
cheese) will also do very nicely.  Just pick your favorite.

For my favorite application, try using it on a salad of bitter endive or
escarole and fresh tomatoes (ie: real, not those icky fake tomato
dopplegangers most stores carry most of the year).  A little other greens
such as spinach or sweet lettuce may be mixed in also, or some fresh
cut mushrooms, but the bitter + crunchy (endive) + sour + creamy (cheese)
+ tart + sweet (tomato) is orgasmic!
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (09/27/85)

I, myself, prefer Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette  -- make your basic wine-vinaigrette
and throw in bleu Cheese crumbles.  WONDERFUL.