[net.veg] veggie Thanksgiving

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (11/19/85)

Okay, veggie types, I know you're out there, so, what are you
doing about Thanksgiving?  Menus, recipes for the main Turkey
Substitute are hereby solicited.

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (11/20/85)

> Okay, veggie types, I know you're out there, so, what are you
> doing about Thanksgiving?  Menus, recipes for the main Turkey
> Substitute are hereby solicited.

My first rule is that since I am partial to animals as friends
rather than food, I don't need to create substitutes for the beast!
A wonderfully festive meal can be had with things like stuffed
winter squash (either a spinach or wild rice stuffing), filo dough
with goodies inside (mushrooms, cheese, spinach......?), a cranberry/
port wine/pineapple/raspberry jello salad (so you don't need to
have something to put your cranberry sauce on) maybe a soup,
and the usual variety of pies.

Actually, I have also eaten quite well even at a conventional thanksgiving
feast, simply by omitting the turkey and gravy!  Between mashed potatoes,
candied yams, other vegies, bread or rolls etc, I often am the only
one who is not totally uncomfortable at the end of meals!
And you ought to try cranberry sauce as well as whipped cream with
your pumpkin pie!
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (11/21/85)

In article <2251@amdahl.UUCP> pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) writes:

>> Okay, veggie types, I know you're out there, so, what are you
>> doing about Thanksgiving?  Menus, recipes for the main Turkey
>> Substitute are hereby solicited.
>
>My first rule is that since I am partial to animals as friends
>rather than food, I don't need to create substitutes for the beast!

My sympathies exactly.

>Actually, I have also eaten quite well even at a conventional thanksgiving
>feast, simply by omitting the turkey and gravy!  Between mashed potatoes,
>candied yams, other vegies, bread or rolls etc, I often am the only
>one who is not totally uncomfortable at the end of meals!

This is typical of my Thanksgivings.  Usually my family will make a
vegetarian stuffing for me as well.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra