[net.veg] \"Aesthetics\"

devi@maisha.DEC (Gita L. Devi PKO1/D1 223-7046) (01/27/86)

> And - in answer to the question of why it's okay for animals to
> eat meat and not man: Man has the option, the capacity to use
> higher reasoning and live by a morally higher standard.  Animals
> don't have those choices.
>
> [ killing animals for food vs. killing animals for furs ]

>>All this argument really says is that it is ok for non-higher-reasoning
>>beings to eat meat because even if it is not moral to do so, they do
>>not have the capacity to decide this.   This argument says nothing about
>>the morality of eating meat.  And how about the morality of killing
>>plants? [ note: no :-) ]

The entire argument is based on morality, but you appear so blinded by your
"subjective logic" that you fail to see this.  My opinion is that it is
TOTALLY IMMORAL, UNETHICAL, INHUMAN, CRUEL, UNHEALTHY, etc. etc. etc for
MAN to eat flesh.  Believe me, I am not thrilled that some animals kill
other animals either, but that's how God made them (Now I'll probably hear
from someone on the religious issue!).  And, unlike man, most
animals don't go around randomly slaughtering each other in "wars", or
creating weapons of global destruction, but that's another issue.

>>I see no inconsistency in eating meat but objecting to having animals
>>killed for their fur.  There are other substances that can be used to
>>make fake furs that do not involve killing animals, and are just as
>>good or better than animal fur both functionally and esthetically (sp?).
>>When the technology of fake food gets to where, say, fake steaks and
>>hamburgers can be produced that are as good as the originals, both
>>nutritionally AND in taste/texture, then it will be time to stop
>>killing cattle.  Similarly for other meat animals.

Again - you have missed the point.  Food of vegetable origin is not, I am
happy to say, FAKE FOOD.  You have to change the focal length of your
consciousness.  You are thinking that only something that looks like or smells
like cooked flesh is food.  WRONG!!   If you can accept the fact that we do
not need to kill animals for food (or fur), then why eat them now???  There
have been products on the market for years that simulate those products that
you so love.  Why not try them out?

--
>>Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

Absolutely not!  This is a net group for vegetarians, and as such, we have
every right to express what we want to say.  Obviously, there are non-
vegetarians reading this news group, or we wouldn't be having such a nice
discussion going on.  I'm glad that this group is finally generating some
straight talk.   In fact, a co-worker of mine (non-veggie) told me
that he reads this news group to goad him into giving up meat.  If that's
the case, then we owe it to the non-vegetarians who do read this net.veg to
tell them the facts behind the animal slaughter going on in this country.
Old MacDonald isn't down on the farm anymore with his happy group of animals
who are just waiting to be taken to the slaughter house while they sing EI
EI O..

>>	Not to continue the argument, but hopefully to end it --
>>	It is exactly like the abortion issue - There are *NO*
>>facts that could *ever* come to light that would settle the
>>issue.
>>	Both sides are simply rationalizing an aesthetic position.
>>And, as has been said, there is no accounting for taste.
>>	So, give it a rest, folks.

>>>I really disagree!  Like other people have said recently, there are
*ethical,* not just moral, questions involved in the way people get
their meat in this society.  The whole system of having an industry,
in which animals are treated as a commodity, a product, bring meat
to people's tables is fucked!  This really has nothing to do with
people's "aesthetic position"s regarding their preference concerning
eating meat.

Damn, I really wish I had been brought up where I had to kill my food
myself.  Then I *would* have been confronted with a personal, moral,
or, if you will, an aesthetic dilemma.  But don't kid yourself into
thinking we have one now.

By the way, I think this *does* belong in this newsgroup.  So there.

Charles S. Geiger
U. of Texas

Thank you for taking a stand.  When I read the suggestion that we not
discuss these issues on net.veg, I was furious.  I was just about to write
my reply, when I read Mr. Geiger's reply.  I may not agree with his choice
of words, but he certainly made his point.  A round of applause to you.

"rationalizing an aesthetic position"????  That really got me!  Do you think
that most vegetarians don't eat meat because of aesthetics?  Granted, the
thought of a hunk of dead, rotting, putrified slab of flesh is not very
aesthetically pleasing to me, but the issue is so much deeper than that.
If meat-eaters are so "aesthetically" sensitive, then why do they swerve to
avoid hitting a dead animal on the road and not avoid the one on their dinner
plate even when it's drowning in its own blood (sorry - I mean gravy)?
That's the truth and that's aesthetics.  One looks disgusting on the
road, and the other has been disguised.

---------
Just to remind everyone - in case you don't know it.  March 20th is the day
to observe the second annual GREAT AMERICAN MEATOUT.  Lots of national
attention was gained during last year's MEATOUT, and more is planned for
this year.  If anyone is interested in this, please contact the principal
sponsor directly:

    Farm Animal Reform Movement
    Box 70123
    Washington, DC 20088
    Melinda Mark  (301) 530-1737

Gita Devi

ray@vger.UUCP (Ray Swartz) (01/28/86)

The recent discussion on why people don't eat meat mentioned that
there are no facts that suggest that eating meat is better for
you (or the world).  I disagree.

Animals that eat meat have a different metabolism and digestive
structure than humans.  First, look at the teeth.  Carnivors have
very sharp teeth for ripping and killing.  Humans have teeth more
closely resembling herbivores (like apes who don't eat meat at all).
In addition, the length of the digestive tract is another indication
of what food an animal processes.  Carnivores have very short digestive
tracts whereas humans have a long one that expects foods requiring
different lengths of time and method for digestion.  A short digestive
tract is designed for speed of processing to lower the problem
of putrid material in the body.  Also, carivores (example: dogs/cats)
tend to sleep just after eating so they can digest and expell their
food quickly.

Another point is that meat takes far more resources to make.
One comparison I've heard is that it takes 10 times the land
and water resources to create 1 pound of protein with meat than
with soybeans.  Thus, one of the main reasons people go hungry is
that we are taking food from them and giving it to animals for
fattening.  For those of you who do eat meat and get saddened by
those starving throughout the world, look to thyself for the answer.
It is hard to think of peace when you are hungry or when your
food is killed.

I hope this is not more than my 2 cents worth.

In real life - Ray Swartz (NOTE: the listed reply may be bogus:

in reality: CSnet: ray@uscs.CSnet
	    ARPAnet: ray%vger%uscsc.uucp@usbvax.EDU)

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/29/86)

In article <733@decwrl.DEC.COM> devi@maisha.DEC (Gita L. Devi PKO1/D1  223-7046) writes:
>>Wouldn't net.misc be a better group for this?  I would assume that
>>most people who read net.veg are vegetarians, and so a more general
>>group, like net.misc, would be more likely to get no-vegetarians
>>involved.
>
>Absolutely not!  This is a net group for vegetarians, and as such, we have
>every right to express what we want to say.

That "no-vegetarians" is meant to be "non-vegetarians."  If net.veg is
going to contain a discussion on the morality of meat eating, there
should at least be some cross-posting to net.misc, because many people
who might enjoy the discussion would not think of looking in net.veg,
because they would assume that net.veg is for those who are already
convinced that meat eating is not good.

I in no way meant to say that vegetarians don't have a right to express
whatever they want to express.  Sorry if I gave that impression.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim