[net.veg] Vegetarian Cookbooks

bea@charm.UUCP (Bea Chambers) (01/07/84)

When I posted my request for vegetarian pate/terrine recipes, I got a lot of
mail suggesting various recipe books. By far the winner was
" The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" -Mollie Katzen.
She has also written the "Moosewood Cookbook".
It is a "user oriented" book and has some lovely sounding recipes and some
cutsie recipes that don't tempt me. To each his own.

The best selection of vegetarian cookbooks seems to be in health
food stores rather than book stores ( reasonable).

My husband and I are not vegetarians but I like to cook without
meat a few times a week because it is lighter and pleasant.
There really are a lot of good non-meat dishes around.
Happy cooking.......and happy eating!

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (02/05/86)

I am considering a vegetarian or close to that diet. I am curious
if anyone out there can reccomend a cookbook that explains how to
get a balanced diet esp. with respect to protein and whose recipies
are not major productions (I can & do cook but I don't like to spend
an hour everyday making dinner). I am quite willing to try all kinds
of different foods.

        -Steve "Can you say 'Brain Damage'?" Dunn

asp@hao.UUCP (Advanced Studies Project) (02/06/86)

> I am considering a vegetarian or close to that diet. I am curious
> if anyone out there can reccomend a cookbook that explains how to
> get a balanced diet esp. with respect to protein and whose recipies
> are not major productions (I can & do cook but I don't like to spend
> an hour everyday making dinner). I am quite willing to try all kinds
> of different foods.
>
>         -Steve "Can you say 'Brain Damage'?" Dunn

     I recommend "Diet for a Small Planet" for an explanation of how to
take care of protein requirements without meat.  It contains some recipes,
but more and better recipes can be found in the companion book, "Recipes
for a Small Planet."

       allegra!nbires
      ucbvax!hplabs  \                  Chuck D'Ambra
                    \ \                 Advanced Study Program
      mcvax!seismo - hao!asp            National Center for Atmospheric Research
                    /                   P.O. Box 3000
 {decvax|ihnp4}!noao                    Boulder, CO 80307

honavar@uwai.UUCP (Vasant Honavar) (02/06/86)

	A good vegetarian cookbook that I know of is by Ms Tarla Dalal
	and is published by HAMLYN. Its title is "Indian Vegetarian Cookbook"
	and it costs around $8.00

	It has special glossary of terms and notes for north American users
	and has 110 recipes and suggestions for complete menu. The recipes
	include soups, vegetable dishes, dal dishes, rice dishes, side dishes
	and salads, breads, snacks, sweet dishes and others.

	Bon Apetit

				-- Vasant_In_The_Land_Of_Dairy_Queens
				   honavar@ai.wisc.edu

jeff@cdp.UUCP (02/07/86)

laurel's kitchen is also pretty good for nutrition/diet information
but the recipes are not all that hot.  i've found that i use laurel's
or diet for a small planet for nutritional info, but i use moosewood
(and enchanted broccoli forest) for recipes.

morris@Shasta.ARPA (02/09/86)

I have a copy of a book called ``The Apartment Vegetarian Cookbook'',
by Lindsay Miller.  It discusses how to get enough protein, etc.
The big advantage it has over ``Recipes for a Small Planet'', Laurel's
Kitchen, and others is that the recipes are mostly for 1 or 2 people,
with notes on how to extend them for more people.  Most of the recipes
are fairly easy to make, and there are lots of notes about shortcuts
(cooking more beans than you need for a dish then freezing them, and so
on).  There are tables of how long to cook grains, legumes and
vegetables.  It was the first vegetarian cookbook I owned, and
convinced me that giving up meat doesn't require extra cooking effort.
The publisher is Peace Press, the book is ISBN 0-915238-26-8.

The catch?  I'm pretty sure it's out of print, and I don't have the
address of the publisher (my mother found it at a sale in a health-food
shop in Springwood, NSW, Australia).  Has anyone ever heard of this
book?

	Kathy Morris
		morris@diablo.stanford.edu
		{hplabs|decwrl|ucbvax}!Glacier!morris

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (02/10/86)

In article <1941@hao.UUCP>, asp@hao.UUCP writes:
>      I recommend "Diet for a Small Planet" for an explanation of how to
> take care of protein requirements without meat.  It contains some recipes,
> but more and better recipes can be found in the companion book, "Recipes
> for a Small Planet."

What may be even a better book along these lines is "Laurel's Kitchen". It
uses many of the ideas originally presented in DFASP but updates them with
some more current information. In particular, some of the more stringent
aspects of protein complementarity (mainly the time span over which the
complementary proteins must be eaten) are relaxed. For my taste, the recipes
are also better than either of the DFASP books.