[net.veg] OOPS. Finishing last message

king@glacier.ARPA (Robin King) (02/01/86)

	   Maybe some meat-eating maniac logged me off  ;^)

	  My point is that there are alot of different topics to talk
	about, other than just whether or not to eat meat, be it for
	your health or moral or religious reasons.  For example, I'd
	appreciate knowing just haw to go about mixing dairy/legumes
	for a complete protein balance.  Or,  how does one politely
	ask one's host whether or not there is any lard (blech) in
	the crackers or chicken broth in the cream of celery soup?
	And why DO company dinners have to serve steak all the time?

	  I mean, living this lifestyle causes day-to-day diffi-
	culties and adjustments that most average carnivores just
	would not comprehend.  I'd say a fair number of them feel
	threatened that you're not "like them" and go out of their
	way to be insulting.  If I hear "What's the difference
	between eating a cow and a carrot?  They're both alive... " one
	more time I think I'll scream!!  Someone tell me: why do they
	do this??????!

	   So, why not talk about some other aspects of "vegetarianism"
	than just the decision to become one?  I've been in my current
	mode for about 12 years and would like to hear from others with
	similar interests.  Let's keep the tone lighthearted.

					Robin King

	PS- I eat fish beacuse I don't think they have a well developed
	    nervous system and won't feel much pain or know what's
	    happening.  I draw the line at warm-blooded critters.
	    So flame me if you want to.

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/04/86)

Robin-

  I agree with you %100.  There are much more fundamental points to
talk about.   Most veggies spend there whole lives defending their
practice, and it's nice to get a chance to talk about food without
getting in an argument.

  As for protein balance, the first rule of thumb is to ignore most
of the old concepts of minimum protein.  You really don't need all
that much.  If you drink milk with meals, eat yogurt, cheese, and eggs
and peanut butter, as well as balanced bean and grain creations
occasionally you can be quite lackadaisical about balancing proteins.
This is the word from several vegetarian doctors here at the UI (every
time I tell a doctor I'm a vegetarian, I find that he is too!).  Very
important for you, because you are a woman, is that you get enough iron.
You almost have to take a supplement unless you are working very hard to
get enough by eating spinach, etc.  Men don't lose their stores of
iron each month, so it is less of a problem.

  Finally, there is the B-vitamin problem.  The only way the veggie
gets B-12 in a normal diet (excluding plankton eaters) is through
eggs.  If you've asked around at all, you'll know that eggs are on the
"bad" list with doctors these days: I heard that 4 maximum/week is
sensible.  The thing about B-12 is that your body stores about 1-2000mcg
(mostly in the digestive tract)  as you stop replacing these stores,
you can eventually lose it.  This process takes 2-5 years, so it may be too
late by the time you find it--and that can be quite serious.  If you take
antibiotics, you can wipe out your supply much faster since they tend
to destroy B-12 along with other organisms.  My advice: take a B-complex
supplement every now and then (say once or twice a week) just to keep
the supply up, more when you're on antibiotics.
Since your body absorbs and stores it, you probably
don't need to take it every day.  My supplement is 12mcg--about
6 times the RDA--anyway.

  Now what am I not getting that I don't know about?

-Ben Leimkuhler

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (02/07/86)

In article <17700010@uiucdcsp> leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>  Finally, there is the B-vitamin problem.  The only way the veggie
>gets B-12 in a normal diet (excluding plankton eaters) is through
>eggs.....
>
>  Now what am I not getting that I don't know about?
>
>-Ben Leimkuhler

Not entirely true.  You can get B-12 from fermented soybean products such
as tempeh and miso.  In fact tempeh is high in B-12.  To find out more about
these foods read the books by William Shurtleff (sp?) called "The Book of
Tempeh" and "The Book of Miso".  Seaweed also contains B-12 and is quite
delicious if you can get used to it.

For those of you who do eat dairy foods and eggs, these are also sources
of B-12.

Avinash Marathe
{ihnp4,allegra,decwrl}!amd!ubvax!avinash

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (02/07/86)

In article <17700010@uiucdcsp>, leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> If you've asked around at all, you'll know that eggs are on the
> "bad" list with doctors these days: I heard that 4 maximum/week is
> sensible.

I see this figure tossed around a lot but is it really relevant to a
vegetarian diet. My impression is that this limit was proposed for a
'typical' American diet with large mounts of saturated fats coming
from red meat. If you eliminate the meat can you up your egg quota?

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/10/86)

Well, my impression is that the cholestoral in eggs is the real problem--
we're not talking saturated fats here, we're talking levels of serum
cholestoral in the bloodstream.

During the Vietnam war, many medical experiments were conducted on American
casualties (war presents a rare opportunity to conduct autopsies on the
bodies of large numbers of young men).  One of these studied levels of serum
cholestoral and blockage of the arteries surrounding the heart--they found
extreme constriction.  Perhaps, though, if you're not eating meat, there
is just not as much fat to be deposited, but the person who quoted me
four eggs per week was a vegetarian herself, as well as an RN.

-Ben Leimkuhler

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/10/86)

Yes, you are correct.  But here in Illinois, such things are rather
exotic--at least I'm not willing to hunt them down and prepare them.