[net.veg] Let's Keep This Discussion Going

devi@maisha.DEC (Gita L. Devi PKO1/D1 223-7046) (02/04/86)

>I promise that my next posting will be a recipe!

Charles S. Geiger
wage slave
U. of Texas

Thanks for the recipe.  It's a good example of how cooking vegetarian does
not have to take lots of time.  (Karl Malik take note)

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

How do you cross-post?  Is there a special moderator out there for the
net.misc?

>>>First my own views: I consider it ethical for man to
consume meat.  I object to the conditions under which livestock
and poultry are kept in this country.  (Were my objections
somewhat stronger, I might well be a vegetarian for that
reason.)

You either have principles or you don't.  You can't be only half-pregnant,
you know...

>>>But what I *really* object to, quite strongly, is that small
>>>minority of vegetarians who think that they are *better* than
>>>people who eat meat, who view non-vegetarians as having lower
>>>morals than themselves.

I don't think that you have lower morals than me.  I just think that you
haven't really exercised your option as a human being.

>>>I think this situation is unique to the U.S.
>>>From what I can see, in Great Britain vegetarians and
>>>non-vegetarians have much more mutual respect for each
>>>other.  George Bernard Shaw had strong ethical objections
>>>to eating meat.  But he didn't think the lesser of any
>>>of his meat-eating friends because of it.

I think you'd better cite someone other than G.B.Shaw, as he was most
outspoken in his vegetarian beliefs, and never hesitated to say what he felt
was right.  In fact, I'm quite certain than he managed to offend quite a few
non-vegetarians in his day.  There's the story of Mr. Shaw's remarks made at
a dinner, during which he loudly announced that at least he knew what his
food had "died" from, and that what he was eating did not run away from the
person trying to kill it.

>>>Claims that meat consumption is a waste of world food
resources are equally weak.

Try telling that to the starving people in Ethiopia where they have stripped
the land of vegetation because they switched from an agrarian diet to cattle
grazing.

Have you ever read DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET by Francis Moore Lappe?  You
should.  It may open your eyes.

Prove your arguments to me.  I've got books that prove my arguments.

>>>Since somebody brought it up: I too have strong objections
>>>to the killing of fur-bearing animals for their pelts.
>>>I think this is especially gross since fur coats are a
>>>symbol of wealth and decadence.

And eating meat isn't the highest symbol of wealth and decadence?  Please,
look at what you're saying!  Man has logic, but he uses it to justify his
desires.  What you've presented as a valid argument is, to me, merely
illogical logic.
-------
I want to thank everyone who has written to me personally, or via the net.
veg supporting this type of discussion.  Expressing one's views helps us to
clarify and strengthen, and perhaps change, the way we look at things.

Let's keep it up.  And there's no reason to stop exchanging recipes, either.
Being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you stop eating.  Quite the contrary.

Just like Mr. Geiger, my next posting will be a recipe.

Gita Devi

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (02/08/86)

Thanks for your comments on my posting, Gita.  I'll try
to explain my point of view a little better.

> consume meat.  I object to the conditions under which livestock
> and poultry are kept in this country.  (Were my objections
> somewhat stronger, I might well be a vegetarian for that
> reason.)
>
> You either have principles or you don't.  You can't be only half-pregnant,
> you know...

Here we have a basic philosoplical difference.  I don't view
everything as being either "right" or "wrong" with no in-between.
All I'm saying is I acknowledge that animals raised for food are
not being properly treated in a lot of cases.  This would tend to
influence me towards not eating meat.  But I'm still a meat eater
because I have other reasons.  This may be a little wishy-washy
I realize.

> I think you'd better cite someone other than G.B.Shaw, as he was most
> outspoken in his vegetarian beliefs, and never hesitated to say what he felt
> was right.  In fact, I'm quite certain than he managed to offend quite a few
> non-vegetarians in his day.  There's the story of Mr. Shaw's remarks made at
> a dinner, during which he loudly announced that at least he knew what his
> food had "died" from, and that what he was eating did not run away from the
> person trying to kill it.

No doubt Shaw was outspoken.  But he served meat to his non-vegetarian
dinner guests.  I don't expect every ethical vegetarian to be
this open minded.
    Even if English vegetarians feel just as superior as some
American ones do that's no excuse.

> resources are equally weak.
>
> Try telling that to the starving people in Ethiopia where they have stripped
> the land of vegetation because they switched from an agrarian diet to cattle
> grazing.

Don't blame starvation in Africa on anything but the screwed
political situation in the area.  You're trying to create
associations between meat-eating and world hunger that doesn't
exist.  Existing food production resources, I understand,
could support a world population of 8 billion.

> And eating meat isn't the highest symbol of wealth and decadence?  Please,
> look at what you're saying!  Man has logic, but he uses it to justify his
> desires.  What you've presented as a valid argument is, to me, merely
> illogical logic.
> -------
> Gita Devi

If you think eating meat is the highest symbol of wealth and
decadence you're out to lunch.  Eating meat is something that
most Americans do every day without pretense.  Eating anything
of nutritive value (e.g. meat) is closely related to one's survival
instinct.  I can't see putting it in the same category as killing poor
defenseless furbearers just so you can show off at cocktail parties.
Wearing furs is clearly an ostentatious expression of wealth.
The difference is pretty obvious to me.  I don't see what's
illogical about this.

steve

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (02/13/86)

> > resources are equally weak.
> >
> > Try telling that to the starving people in Ethiopia where they have stripped
> > the land of vegetation because they switched from an agrarian diet to cattle
> > grazing.
>
> Don't blame starvation in Africa on anything but the screwed
> political situation in the area.  You're trying to create
> associations between meat-eating and world hunger that doesn't
> exist.  Existing food production resources, I understand,
> could support a world population of 8 billion.

Where on earth do you get your figures?  Is it perhaps that the
current food production resources might feed 8 billion IF we all ate
things lower on the food chain?  A number of years ago when Americans
cut back on our meat consumption when beef prices jumped sharply,
a small but measurable increase in available food occured in the
less privlaged portions of the world.  Since the same amount of land
required to produce beef for one person will produce grain/beans for
10 - 12, I do not think that you can ignore the implications of
your meat eating ways!  (I am not talking about animals strictly
range fed on land too poor to support other agriculture, but no one
would eat anything that tough anyway.)

> > And eating meat isn't the highest symbol of wealth and decadence?  Please,
> > look at what you're saying!  Man has logic, but he uses it to justify his
> > desires.  What you've presented as a valid argument is, to me, merely
> > illogical logic.
> > -------
> > Gita Devi
>
> If you think eating meat is the highest symbol of wealth and
> decadence you're out to lunch.  Eating meat is something that
> most Americans do every day without pretense.  Eating anything
> of nutritive value (e.g. meat) is closely related to one's survival
> instinct.  I can't see putting it in the same category as killing poor
> defenseless furbearers just so you can show off at cocktail parties.
> Wearing furs is clearly an ostentatious expression of wealth.
> The difference is pretty obvious to me.  I don't see what's
> illogical about this.
>
> steve

Unless you are inclined to chase down your prey and tear into it raw,
the survival instinct is a myth.  Instinct has nothing to do with
tidy little plastic packages in the supermarket.  Training does.
It is too bad that you are unable to get past your upbringing
enough to read some of the sources recommended in the previous
postings.  You might learn something.

Yes, most Americans (and Australians, and British) do eat meat
every day.  We also drink alcohol and go out and kill people with
cars but that doesn't make it right.  Killing animals to feed
your face is totally unecessary and it is only in wealthy countries
like ours where it occurs on such a scale.  In most other parts
of the world meat is used in small quantities or for special occasions,
if at all.  The connection to wealth/conspicuous consumption is clear.
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (02/14/86)

> If you think eating meat is the highest symbol of wealth and
> decadence you're out to lunch.  Eating meat is something that
> most Americans do every day without pretense.

> steve

If you think you eat meat without pretense, think of the following.  If
it is suggested that you have a meal without meat, would you think of
it as completeand satisfying?  When someone eats a meatless meal, does
it look as satisfying as one with meat?  Have you gone a day without
meat?  Two days?  A week?  Would it be worthwhile?  If you answer no to
these questions, you certainly have pretensions.  We are affluent
enough in this country to afford to make our stomachs into cemeteries
but is it our right nevertheless?  I remember the taste of meat.  I
still think it *tastes* good but I don't see it as necessary or right.
(Those who disagree with my taste buds may, but I think it's an
unimportant issue.)

Tom Reingold

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (02/21/86)

In article <154@rocky2.UUCP>, reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:
> > Eating meat is something that
> > most Americans do every day without pretense.
>
> If you think you eat meat without pretense, think of the following.  If
> it is suggested that you have a meal without meat, would you think of
> it as completeand satisfying?  When someone eats a meatless meal, does
> it look as satisfying as one with meat?  Have you gone a day without
> meat?  Two days?  A week?  Would it be worthwhile?  If you answer no to
> these questions, you certainly have pretensions.
>
> Tom Reingold

Actually, I don't eat meat every day.  I like vegetarian food,
in fact, Mollie Katzen's cookbooks are among my favorites.
(Just take her recipes and cut the cholesterol-containing
ingredients in half -- she's really into the eggs, cheese and
so forth.)

Why would I have pretentions if I did eat meat every day?
I don't follow.

steve

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (02/22/86)

>>> Eating meat is something that
>>> most Americans do every day without pretense.
>>
>> If you think you eat meat without pretense, think of the following.  If
>> it is suggested that you have a meal without meat, would you think of
>> it as completeand satisfying?  When someone eats a meatless meal, does
>> it look as satisfying as one with meat?  Have you gone a day without
>> meat?  Two days?  A week?  Would it be worthwhile?  If you answer no to
>> these questions, you certainly have pretensions.
>>
>> Tom Reingold
>
>Actually, I don't eat meat every day.  I like vegetarian food,
>in fact, Mollie Katzen's cookbooks are among my favorites.
>(Just take her recipes and cut the cholesterol-containing
>ingredients in half -- she's really into the eggs, cheese and
>so forth.)
>

>Why would I have pretentions if I did eat meat every day?
>I don't follow.
>

>steve

As a preface, let me say that I do not see vegetarianism as an
all-or-nothing thing.  It is probably better to cut down on meat
consumption etc. than to keep it high, just as it is better to cut
it out than to keep it low.  In other words, the less the better;
no judgements are necessary from other people regarding how much
meat one eats.

I don't know what you meant when you brought in the word
"pretension".  But if you say that Americans eat meat without
pretension, a couple of things come to mind.

For one thing, if one compares the average American diet (heavily
laden with too much meat) with the average third-world diet and you
say "Boy, are we lucky we can afford tons more meat than they can",
and if that's the major difference you see, then he has a
pretension.  The pretension, to me, seems to say "Meat is so good
that one should eat all one can."

For another thing, if one eats meat and says that it is totally
unnecessary to examine the ethical issues implied, then he has a
pretension.  The pretension might say "A life other than mine is
less important than mine, so it is better for him to die and me to
eat him than for him to live and me to be without my beloved meal."
Or it might say "Aw he doesn't care if he dies.  After all, since
he doesn't have the intellectual deductive powers I have, he
doesn't have the strong will to live that I have."

For another thing, if one thinks that meat is beneficial to one's
health, especially in the large quantities that Americans eat,
then he has a pretension.  The pretension says "TV and news media
propaganda of the 50's told me that meat makes me strong and that's
all I need to hear."  Modern medical evidence is to the contrary.
Excessive meat eating seems to cause cancer and atherosclerosis.
Nor does the protein in those quantities prove itself to be
necessary.  Oxen don't eat meat.  Neither do elephants.  Are they
so weak you would recommend that they eat meat?  Most birds are
vegetarians and they are incredibly strong for their weight.

Is this a sufficient explanation?  I hope I have not said anything
offensive to anyone.

Tom Reingold
New York City