[net.veg] Brazil Nuts

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/21/86)

Now that we are talking about seeds and nuts in net.rumor...

I am sitting here hacking with a pile of brazil nuts and a vise-grip
lockwrench.  I am wondering if there is an easier way to get Brazil
buts out of the shell.  Some brazil nuts come out cleanly, but more than
hald of them stick to the nut husk.  Is there some secret I haven't
been able to figure out?  How do the nut stores get the whole ones
they sell (roasted in oil -- bletch -- I want mine raw) out in one
piece like that?

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry) (02/22/86)

A few devices reviewed in _Home Food Systems_ Roger B Yepsen ed.
Rodale Press 1981 (yes, the same folks who bring you Prevention
and Organic Gardening, their books are generally quite good).

Potter Walnut Cracker
$34.50 (then)
Fred Klingensmith, Inc
Sapula, OK  74066

Texas Native Inertia Nutcracker
$14.98
Charter Co, Inc
Bickett Blvd
P O Drawer 10938
Raleigh, NC  27605

I have tried neither one but from the review I would go with the
Texas Native (rubber band powered) rather than the Potter (leverage).
Personally I rather pay the premium for preshelled refridgerated (sp)
raw nuts at the local health food store or (better, but further) food
co-op.
				Jerry Natowitz
				ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin
				The Master Baker

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (02/23/86)

In article <539@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
>Now that we are talking about seeds and nuts in net.rumor...
>
>I am sitting here hacking with a pile of brazil nuts and a vise-grip
>lockwrench.  I am wondering if there is an easier way to get Brazil
>buts out of the shell.  Some brazil nuts come out cleanly, but more than
>hald of them stick to the nut husk.  Is there some secret I haven't
>been able to figure out?  How do the nut stores get the whole ones
>they sell (roasted in oil -- bletch -- I want mine raw) out in one
>piece like that?
>

>--
>Laura Creighton
>ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
>laura@lll-crg.arpa

Try popping them into the microwave for a couple of minutes, they'll
open right up! :-)
--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

UUCP: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA: darrell@sdcsvax

kendalla@orca.UUCP (Kendall Auel) (02/24/86)

The Brazil nuts you get with the shells on them are the kind that
are impossible to get the shells OFF of. For a few cents a pound more,
you can get the shell-able kind. The nut practically begs to come out
of the shell if you get these kind.

Once I got the unshellable kind, and found out that tossing them out of
a 3rd story window helped loosen them up.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/24/86)

Put the whole bag of nuts in the freezer over night. The nuts will actually
come out of the shells whole.

--
jcpatilla
..{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!jcp

Look for beauty in all things; let the fountains of delight refresh your heart.

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/25/86)

Thanks for the replies about nutcrtackers and speciality nut stores.
You can stop now -- I got this wonderful reply from Peter Reiher
at UCLA.

	From lll-crg!LOCUS.UCLA.EDU!reiher Mon Feb 24 12:10:21 1986
	Freeze 'em, then defrost them, then crack them.  Works like a charm.
	They're still a bitch to crack, but at least they come out whole.
	--
                                Peter Reiher
                                reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

It *does* work like a charm!  Really and truly it does. This is better
than Christmas -- you can get *anything* from usenet. wow.  And I am
using a standard 10WR (the WR means that I have a wire cutter edge)
lockwrench (vise grip) made by Dewitt-Petersen-Neer Mfg Co.  It works
on all nuts and is the best nut cracker I know.

I'm hacking on a sun workstation, reading news in one window and eating
brazil nuts while drinking Anchor Porter (dark beer).  The sun set on
San Francisco Bay a few hours ago, and I watched it.  Did I die and
go to heaven without noticing...

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura