[net.veg] Save the Unborn Shuttles

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/04/86)

> In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].826580.860221.KFL>, KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") writes:
> >
> >     From: unmvax!nmtvax!fine@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Andrew J Fine)
> >
> >     If humanity can simply change from mere descendants of carnivorous apes to
> >     something totally gentle, altrustic, and noble, then Earth will be enough.
> >
> >   We are descended from herbiverous apes.
>
> We are probably descended from omnivorous apes.  Certainly Chimpanzees are
> omnivorous and their lifestyle is often taken as a model for
> pre-australophithecines.  Question for both of you, would you rather
> be descended from wolves or sheep?  Why?  Is there some way that this either
> would change your opinion of people?
> --

This debate about our eating habits of our ancestors reminds me of
a discussion I had several years ago with a friend of mine who's
a vegetarian.  He made some disparaging remark about eating meat,
and that it was unnatural, so I said, "Hold it, Steve, man has been
eating meat for at least 250,000 years.  There are evidences in the
Peking Man finds of cooking and eating meat (i.e. other people)."
Steve's response was, "A quarter million years?  How long has man
been on the planet?  Three million?  It's just a passing fad."