[net.veg] what else is hiding out there, as in bone china

dupuy@garfield.columbia.edu (Alex Dupuy) (02/28/86)

A lot of shampoos also comntain what is called "Animal Protein", especially
conditioning shampoos, etc.  I had been vegetarian for over a year without
realizing this when a friend who is a somewhat more thoroughgoing vegetarian
than I pointed this out to me.  I'm not sure exactly what the animal protein
consists of - perhaps placental tissue? but figured it was something I could
just as easily live without.

@alex

swb@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (03/04/86)

In article <1404@garfield.columbia.edu> dupuy@garfield.UUCP (Alex Dupuy) writes:

>A lot of shampoos also comntain what is called "Animal Protein", especially
>conditioning shampoos, etc.  I had been vegetarian for over a year without
>realizing this when a friend who is a somewhat more thoroughgoing vegetarian
>than I pointed this out to me.  I'm not sure exactly what the animal protein
>consists of - perhaps placental tissue? but figured it was something I could
>just as easily live without.

I believe this means keratin (as in hooves, horns, hair and gelatin).  Some
is absorbed into (or adsorbed onto!) the hair.
-----------------
Scott W. Brim				swb@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Cornell Theory Center			{decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!swb
265 Olin Hall				607-256-8686
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853

dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) (03/09/86)

> A lot of shampoos also comntain what is called "Animal Protein", especially
> conditioning shampoos, etc.  I had been vegetarian for over a year without
> realizing this when a friend who is a somewhat more thoroughgoing vegetarian
> than I pointed this out to me.  I'm not sure exactly what the animal protein
> consists of - perhaps placental tissue? but figured it was something I could
> just as easily live without.
>
> @alex

Am I to gather from this that you actually 'eat' shampoo.  Yuk!

Don Henson
Infosys Consulting