[net.veg] I want to cut out milk. What do I put on my cereal?

lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) (02/27/86)

I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my

cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?

	How about soy-milk?

					Lance

guy@slu70.UUCP (02/28/86)

In article <1354@mtuxo.UUCP>, lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) writes:
> I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
> cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?

I once had granola with apple juice (we ran out of milk unexpectedly). It
wasn't half bad but I still prefer milk.

dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) (03/09/86)

> I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
>
> cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?
>
> 	How about soy-milk?
>
> 					Lance

Personally, I use water on my cereal.  It gives the flavors of the cereal
and the fruit a chance to come thru.  You get some strange looks in
restaurants, but you're probably used to that by now.

Don Henson
Infosys Consulting

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (03/11/86)

In article <1354@mtuxo.UUCP>, lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) writes:
> I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
> cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?

Almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, or amasake (fermented rice milk).
Amasake is by far the best tasting and can be found in some health
food stores.

If you switch to eating hot cereals you don't even need these.

Avinash Marathe
{ihnp4,allegra,decwrl}!amd!ubvax!avinash

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (03/11/86)

In article <1354@mtuxo.UUCP> lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) writes:

>I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
>cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?
>	How about soy-milk?
>					Lance

I used to use yogurt on my cereal (granola), not milk, and have been using
nothing but fresh fruit for most of the last ten years.  It helps if you
use ripe, juicy fruit.  I always use a banana, and depending what else is
in season, add berries, pears, apples, plums, etc.  It takes a bit of
getting used to, what with all the extra chewing needed, but it's really
delicious, and I believe, healthier.  I think apple juice would be decent,
but why make it into mush???

--
Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman      source bdk788
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

mrl@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (03/16/86)

In article <2153@islenet.UUCP> dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) writes:

>> I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
>> cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?
>>
>> 	How about soy-milk?
>
>Personally, I use water on my cereal.  It gives the flavors of the cereal
>and the fruit a chance to come thru.  You get some strange looks in
>restaurants, but you're probably used to that by now.

Just to spread the strange looks around, I also sometimes use water
on my cereal, and agree with Don (it does taste good, and you do get
strange looks, especially from roommates).  Soy milk, though, has the
advantage of complementing the proteins found in cereal grains.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

usc11@umd5.UUCP (UNIX Short Course) (03/20/86)

In article <1236@oddjob.UUCP> mrl@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) writes:
>In article <2153@islenet.UUCP> dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) writes:
>>>
>>> I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
>>> cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?
>>>
>>> 	How about soy-milk?
>>
>>Personally, I use water on my cereal.  It gives the flavors of the cereal
>>and the fruit a chance to come thru.  You get some strange looks in
>>restaurants, but you're probably used to that by now.
>
>Just to spread the strange looks around, I also sometimes use water
>on my cereal, and agree with Don (it does taste good, and you do get
>strange looks, especially from roommates).  Soy milk, though, has the
>advantage of complementing the proteins found in cereal grains.
>--
>
>					Scott Anderson
>					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

Personally, I like  milk on cereal,  but only  skim milk.  When it hasn't  been
available, I've been known to use orange juice.  You haveto be careful what
kinds of cereal you use it with, though - don't try itwith Grape Nuts (tm).
Other kinds ofjuice would be interesting, also -- think  aboutthe texture of
some relatively hardy cereal with Tomato juice.

I'm not even going to mention (well, if you insist.......) the Breakfast of
Ex-Champions --- Rice Krispies and  beer.  It goes snap, crackle, and burp...
(I  think I've read too much of net.jokes lately...)

Forgive any errors in  etiquette - this is only my second posting ever.

                                       - Aliza R. Panitz

hoffer@ihuxi.UUCP (Hoffer) (03/22/86)

> In article <1354@mtuxo.UUCP> lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) writes:
> >
> >I am thinking of eliminating milk from my diet. I like milk on my
> >cereal. What can I substitute for milk on cereal?
> >	How about soy-milk?
> >					Lance
>
> I used to use yogurt on my cereal (granola), not milk, and have been using
> nothing but fresh fruit for most of the last ten years.  It helps if you
> use ripe, juicy fruit.  I always use a banana, and depending what else is
> in season, add berries, pears, apples, plums, etc.  It takes a bit of
> getting used to, what with all the extra chewing needed, but it's really
> delicious, and I believe, healthier.  I think apple juice would be decent,
> but why make it into mush???
>
> --
> Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
>        |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
>    this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman      source bdk788
>      a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

A veggie restaurant in the Chicago area (now defunct) used to make a
milk substitute as follows:
1.  Blend water with raw almonds
2.  Pass the mixture through cheesecloth to eliminate the roughage
3.  Cook to thicken

Another use for this "milk" was to mix the milk with tomato sauce, tomato
puree, and cooked brown rice to make an outstanding cream of tomato
soup.  Sorry I don't have any measurements, but you won't be too far off
by just experimenting around.  By the way, an excellent book with
directions for soy milk and other soy products is:
  The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, Edited by Louise Hagler, The Book
  Publishing Company, ISBN 0-913990-18-3