[net.veg] vegetarian diets for pets

kolling@magic.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (07/24/86)

> To toss out another nice controversial issue : how many
> of you feed meat to your pets although you don't eat it yourself.

Before anyone runs amok out there, let me point out that cats
can't live on a vegetarian diet.  Some essential nutrient (which
I forget) is missing.  I vaguely remember that such a deficiency
leads first to blindness and then to death.

benl@lll-crg.ARpA (Benl Leimkuhler) (07/25/86)

Cats need about 30% crude protein and 10% crude fiber (if I recall correctly)
and that is very difficult to duplicate in a vegetarian way.

Let's remember that cats (unlike people) are natural predators and keep
one foot planted in reality.  It's OK to mess around with your own diet
but it is appallingly cruel to play games with your pet's diet--
unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Even the cheap dry cat food
you buy in the grocery store must meet carefully determined minimum
standards.

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (07/26/86)

In article <4337@lll-crg.ARpA> benl@lll-crg.UUCP (Ben Leimkuhler) writes:

>Let's remember that cats (unlike people) are natural predators and keep
>one foot planted in reality.  It's OK to mess around with your own diet
>but it is appallingly cruel to play games with your pet's diet--
>unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Even the cheap dry cat food
>you buy in the grocery store must meet carefully determined minimum
>standards.

I mostly agree with Ben:  cats are naturally carnivorous, we are not.  A
woman I knew tried to feed her cats a vegetarian diet, and all three began
looking fairly ill after a few months and two of them actually lost their
sight in another short while.  Could have been concidence, don't know.

Even though I don't like the idea of watching my (or any other) cats
killing and eating mice, birds, etc., I think that's their instinctual and
biologically-based need.  And I do know that many pet foods do contain
animal products, some even whale meat, and I go out of my way to avoid
eating and using animal products for myself, but for the cats, I don't
know of a real alternative.

--

Quote:  "The police aren't here to create disorder, they're here
          to preserve disorder." Mayor Richard P. Daly, Chicago, 1968

Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709