[net.veg] Questions About Vegetarianism

ins_aset@jhunix.UUCP (Susanne E Trowbridge) (07/15/86)

Hello,

I am a recent convert to vegetarianism, and was a bit dismayed to
find out that this newsgroup isn't exactly high traffic.  Therefore,
I thought I'd post myself.  I have some questions, which I hope
somebody will reply to, either in this forum or by e-mail.

1. I have heard that there are different types of vegetarians,
including lacto-vegetarians and vegans.  What is the difference?

2. What are some of the essential vitamins and minerals in meat
which must be supplemented in other ways in the vegetarian's diet?

3. I have decided to continue to eat fish and seafood as well as
chicken very occasionally.  Is this common, or do most vegetarians
shun all food that came from a living creature?

4. Have you encountered any hostility due to your decision to
become a vegetarian?

5. What are some foods which may have "hidden" animal content
(i.e. beef broth in some soups, foods which use animal fat)?

6. What are the best vegetarian cookbooks?

I hope to hear from you soon!!
--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Sue Trowbridge

arpa  : ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp  : ...{ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs | allegra!hopkins} jhunix!ins_aset
(or)  : ...decvax!decuac!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aset

primer_2@h-sc4.harvard.edu (jeremy primer) (07/16/86)

ins_aset@jhunix.UUCP (Susanne E Trowbridge) asks these questions,
and I offer what personal answers I can.  This is not definitive,
not complete, and not meant to exclude other answers to the same
questions.

>3. I have decided to continue to eat fish and seafood as well as
>chicken very occasionally.  Is this common, or do most vegetarians
>shun all food that came from a living creature?

Very common.  Many Americans now are turning to a diet of fish
and some chicken, most wishing to improve their health.  And then
many of these people find they don't even like the chicken or
seafood all that much, and they wind up eating as you have now
begun to do.

Rather than trying to decide where vegetarianism begins and ends
in a doctrinaire way, I prefer to recognize a spectrum with
the steak-and-potato fans at one end and Adam and Eve at the other,
with minute cultural distinctions speckling the middle range.

>4. Have you encountered any hostility due to your decision to
>become a vegetarian?

I'm not exactly a vegetarian . . . more precisely I keep kosher to
some degree and virtually never eat meat except when visiting my
parents.  Because of the religious issue here, I have met with
hostility from some of my secular Jewish friends, who wonder
why I follow a patriarchal religion without following the patriarchy,
and see only hypocrisy [the smarter ones: only neurosis] in this.
With or without religion, though, vegetarianism is an ethical
stance which evokes latent hostility in many a meat-eater.

>5. What are some foods which may have "hidden" animal content
>(i.e. beef broth in some soups, foods which use animal fat)?

Find any orthodox Jewish guide to keeping kosher (the laws of *kashrut*)
which has been written in the last ten years.  The best of them
will tell you that "mono- and di-glycerides" may come from
animal or vegetable sources, that "baguettes non-moulees" in Paris
have no animal fat, that small quantities of some ingredients may be added
to or substituted in various foods without appearing on the label,
and generally a USENET-like quantity of information.  Unfortunately
I don't know the names or authors of any of these books, but any
Jewish bookstore which carries English-language books should have them.

Some specific examples to answer this question:
baked goods, many soups, Chinese or Mexican (or . . .) food,
gelatin and frozen deserts, yeah . . .

>6. What are the best vegetarian cookbooks?

I use and enjoy Mollie Katzen's *Moosewood Cookbook*, which is
an agglomeration of recipes used at the Moosewood restaurant.
I am told that it's selling like mad in Boston-area bookstores.
Check it out.
Jeremy Primer				primer@h-ma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		primer%h-ma1@harvard.ARPA
1 Oxford Street				primer@harvma1.BITNET
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!h-ma1!primer
					(Avoid e-mailing to me at h-sc4.)

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (07/16/86)

In article <3175@jhunix.UUCP> ins_aset@jhunix.UUCP (Susanne E Trowbridge) writes:
>Hello,
>I am a recent convert to vegetarianism, and was a bit dismayed to
>find out that this newsgroup isn't exactly high traffic.  Therefore,
>I thought I'd post myself.  I have some questions, which I hope
>somebody will reply to, either in this forum or by e-mail.
>
>1. I have heard that there are different types of vegetarians,
>including lacto-vegetarians and vegans.  What is the difference?

Lacto-v... eat dairy, ovo-v... eat eggs, and vegans, well, they not
only don't eat *any* animal products, but most don't *use* anything
that comes from an animal: obviously leather and furs, but also more
obscure things like most soaps and even things like film (which con-
tains gelatin).  The general idea is to not exploit or benefit from
the use of (other) animals.  Truly, vegans are the ne plus ultra of
vegies.

>2. What are some of the essential vitamins and minerals in meat
>which must be supplemented in other ways in the vegetarian's diet?

I think B-12 is the only thing you'd likely to be missing, but I do
think it's a good idea to take a mineral and vitamin supplement.

>3. I have decided to continue to eat fish and seafood as well as
>chicken very occasionally.  Is this common, or do most vegetarians
>shun all food that came from a living creature?

Sue, I don't think there is such a thing as "most vegetarians".
I've been a vegie for over ten years, and, except for one hot dog
at a baseball game (yukko!), haven't eaten any beef or fowl.  For
about three months, I did eat seafood (at the time I lived with a
woman who ate everything).  And for three years, I ate no dairy or
eggs (during which time, I felt the best, by the way).  I have
known many people who abstain from beef to consider themselves veg-
ies, but, really, I think a vegie won't eat any animal.  I also
think that shouldn't matter to you:  you should eat what you feel
comfortable eating, both morally and politically (not to mention
for health), without regard to the name you/they put on "it".  It
would be better for you and the world to eat as little animal-based
food as possible, but the key is for you to feel good about it so
that you can sustain it.  It's really not hard!  As with any change
in lifestyle/habit, it will take some energy and time to adjust and
learn and settle in to a comfortable regimin.  And it can be a pain
in the ass socially:  dinner at other people's homes, barbeques,
many restaurants, etc. are not necessarily ideal places for vegies,
especially while it's new for you, too.

>4. Have you encountered any hostility due to your decision to
>become a vegetarian?

Minimal.  Mostly from people who don't feel good about eating other
animals themselves.  But, I'm from Berkeley, and unless you're dif-
ferent here, you're considered wierd. %-)  Some friends who knew me
b.v. had/have a hard time (Oh, you STILL don't eat meat???) with it,
but generally, it's your comfort with it and attitude about it that
will determine how others react.

>5. What are some foods which may have "hidden" animal content
>(i.e. beef broth in some soups, foods which use animal fat)?

You've got the idea... soups, sauces, Mexican foods (lard), etc.

>6. What are the best vegetarian cookbooks?

Some of my faves: _Laurel's Kitchen_, has a great section, nearly
half the book, devoted to nutrition, with many interesting recipes;
_Moosewood Cookbook_ and _The Enchanted Broccolli Forest_, both by
Mollie Katzen, really good, tasty dishes; _Diet for a Small Planet_
and _Recipes for a Diet..._, both by Frances Lappe' Moore (or F.M.L.)
these books started (for me at least) the political awareness of
eating lower on the food chain (it takes seven times as much grain
to get the same amount of protein by eating a cow than the grain she
eats), and the concept of protein complementarity (balancing foods
to enhance the quaility of protein, a concept which seems to have
become less important with recent information).  These should give
you a good start!

--

Good luck, and enjoy it!
maurice

--
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

cottrell@sdics.UUCP (Gary Cottrell) (07/16/86)

One kind of vegetarian you probably haven't heard of is my kind:
sauso-lacto-ovo-vegetarian - I eat eggs, dairy products, and occasionally,
sausage!

gary cottrell
Institute for Cognitive Science, UCSD
cottrell@nprdc (ARPA)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdics!cottrell (USENET)

singh@glacier.ARPA (Harinder Singh) (07/17/86)

	First of all, I've never encountered any hostility about being a
vegetarian. Other than a couple of `Love Animals, Don't Eat Them' bumper
stickers and T-shirts, I don't proselytize although I'm happy to explain and
discuss whenever anyone asks why I'm a vegetarian. If done gently, the other
person (non-vegetarian) is usually the one feeling apologetic.

	Now for cookbooks - I have all of the following but that doesn't mean
I've tried them all. It is comforting to have 'em around so I can try things
as and when the spirit moves me! (I'm omitting some that have already been
mentioned.)

`The Electric Vegetarian - natural cooking the food processor way' by Paula
Szilard and Juliana Woo. An excellent book, esp. for the beginner. Very
systematic and delicious recipes.

`Cooking From An Italian Garden - over 300 classic meatless recipes, from
antipasti to dessert' by Paola Scaravelli and Jon Cohen.

`Italian Vegetarian Cooking' by Jo Marcangelo.

`American Wholefoods Cuisine' by Nikki and David Goldberg. Over 1300
meatless, wholesome recipes from short order to gourmet.

`Greene on Greens' by Bert Greene. Does have some non-veg recipes in it.
(So do some of the others listed, unless they say `vegetarian' in the title.)

`From the Farmer's Market' by Richard Sax and Sandra Gluck. Has some non-veg.

`Fast Vegetarian Feasts - delicious healthful meals in under 45 minutes' by
Martha Rose Shulman.

`The Tassajara Recipe Book - favorites of the guest season' by Edward Brown.

`The Spice Box - Indian Vegetarian Cooking' by Manju Shivraj Singh.

`Indian Vegetarian Cooking' by Jack Santa Maria.

`World of the East - Vegetarian Cooking' by Madhur Jaffrey.

`The Vegetarian Epicure' by Anna Thomas.

`Chinese Vegetarian Cookbook' by Florence Lin.

`Vegetarian Times Cookbook' by the Editors of Vegetarian Times.

`The Vegetarian Barbeque - a guide to gourmet eating outdoors' by David Eno.

`Greek Vegetarian Cooking' by Alkmini Chaitow.

`Jewish Vegetarian Cooking' by Rose Friedman.

`Mexican Vegetarian Cooking' by Edith Metcalfe de Plata.

`The McDougall Health-Supporting Cookbook - vol. 1' by Mary McDougall.

`The Four Seasons Wholefood Cookbook'' by Susan Thorpe.

`The Cookbook for People Who Love Animals' by ??. Copyright by World of God,
Inc.

`Vegetarian Gourmet Cookery' by Alan Hooker.

`Vegetariana - A Rich Harvest of Wit, Lore and Recipes' by Nava Atlas.

`Vegetarian Cooking' and `International Vegetarian Cooking' - Sunset
Books and Magazine.

Also useful to have around - (not particularly vegetarian)

	`Wok Cookery' and `More Wok Cookery' by Ceil Dyer (HP Books).

	Jane Brody's book on Nutrition and her (The NYT) Guide to Personal
Health.

	Reader's Digest's `Eat Better, Live Better'.

	The General Electric `Microwave Guide and Cookbook'.

-----------------

Phew! I better get to bed - it's way past bedtime.

	Good luck!
			-	Inder

wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) (07/18/86)

> 2. What are some of the essential vitamins and minerals in meat
> which must be supplemented in other ways in the vegetarian's diet?

The real worry about the lack of meat in one's diet is making
sure that one gets the proper complement of proteins.  I do this
by trying to eat at least one meal a day where I combine some
form of grains with some form of legumes.

> 5. What are some foods which may have "hidden" animal content
> (i.e. beef broth in some soups, foods which use animal fat)?

One that Maurice didn't mention is that many cheeses have
rennet, which comes from veal stomachs or intestines.

I'm new to this newsgroup as well, though I've been a veg
for about six years now.

				Will Doherty
				UUCP: ...sun!oscar!wild
				ARPA: "oscar!wild"@sun.com

denham@8702.dec.com (The darkest hour is before dawn.) (07/20/86)

>1. I have heard that there are different types of vegetarians,
>including lacto-vegetarians and vegans.  What is the difference?

	A lacto-oevo-vegetarian eats milk, eggs, and vegetable products.
	A lacto-vegetarian eats milk and vegetable products, but no eggs
	A vegan eats only vegans.

>2. What are some of the essential vitamins and minerals in meat
>which must be supplemented in other ways in the vegetarian's diet?
	Vitaman B-12, zinc, and iron.  Calcium if you are a vegan.  It depends
	upon what you do eat.  For example, eggs supply iron.  Seafood
	supplies zinc.

>3. I have decided to continue to eat fish and seafood as well as
>chicken very occasionally.  Is this common, or do most vegetarians
>shun all food that came from a living creature?
	It is a common healthy diet.  I don't think I would call it vegetarian
	though.

>4. Have you encountered any hostility due to your decision to
>become a vegetarian?
	I was a vegetarian for several years before giving it up in favor of a
	diet including fish and poultry.  I was shunned at dinners.  People
	having heard all sorts of things about what vegetarians do/do not eat
	since various people eat various things, were afraid to feed me
	anything.  Dating was also a problem, since there was always a
	question of what would you eat in a resturant?  Would you object to
	me ordering some meat?

>5. What are some foods which may have "hidden" animal content
>(i.e. beef broth in some soups, foods which use animal fat)?
	There are lots of things to look out for.  Many brands of yogurt and
	ice cream contain gelatin.  Many commercially baked goods are baked
	using animal fat.  Vegetables cooked with 'just a little ham'.

jayasim@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (07/24/86)

/* Written  3:03 pm  Jul 20, 1986 by denham@8702.dec.com in uiucdcsb:net.veg */

>	A vegan eats only vegans.

	Ha! Ha!  I'm reminded of a joke.

Tourist (lost in jungle) meets a jungle-man.

Tourist:  I'm a vegetarian.
Jungle-man:  I'm a humanitarian myself.

d n jayasimha,
U of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.

vange@stolaf.UUCP (Erin L. Vang) (07/26/86)

> Sue Trowbridge @ arpa  : ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU:
> 1. I have heard that there are different types of vegetarians,
> including lacto-vegetarians and vegans.  What is the difference?

Ovo-lacto vegetarians and vegans, as far as I know, are the same
thing.  They shun any and all animal products, including eggs
and dairy products.  There's also macrobiotic vegetarians, who
avoid extreme yin and yang foods (yin foods include red meats,
spices, yang foods include I forget what, but I may have them
switched around) and perhaps have further concerns.

> 3. I have decided to continue to eat fish and seafood as well as
> chicken very occasionally.  Is this common, or do most vegetarians
> shun all food that came from a living creature?

It varies according to motive for vegetarianism.  I'm eating a
vegetarian diet because I'm poor, I tend to feel better (I
think), and this way I don't have to worry as much about whether
my morals are messed up.  Thus, I've eaten quite a bit of these
things.  I just don't generally purchase them.

> 6. What are the best vegetarian cookbooks?

Mollie Katzen's        Moosewood Cookbook
		       The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
Francis Moore Lappe's  Diet for a Small Planet
		       Sequel to same

ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (07/30/86)

> > Sue Trowbridge @ arpa  : ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU:
> > 1. I have heard that there are different types of vegetarians,
> > including lacto-vegetarians and vegans.  What is the difference?
>
> Ovo-lacto vegetarians and vegans, as far as I know, are the same
> thing.  They shun any and all animal products, including eggs
> and dairy products.

As several previous posters have pointed out, this is not true.
Ovo-lacto-vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products, lacto-vegetarians
eat dairy products but not eggs, vegans eat neither.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					(201) 957-2070
					ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl
					mtgzy!ecl@topaz.rutgers.edu

Resistance is useless if less than 1 ohm.

dupuy@amsterdam.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (08/09/86)