[net.veg] request for recipes

booth@princeton.UUCP (Heather Booth) (11/10/86)

I've been looking for vegetarian recipes for some dishes
I've had in restaurants and liked or adaptations of recipes
that usually contain meat.
I'd particularly appreciate (meatless) recipes for:
  bhindi bhaji  (spelling?)
  szechuan broccoli with garlic
  onion soup
  a thick carrot soup ("potage crecy" in Montreal)
  the salad dressing Japanese restaurants serve (miso-based, I'd guess)

Thanks in advance.
Heather Booth

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (11/11/86)

> I've been looking for vegetarian recipes for some dishes
> I've had in restaurants and liked or adaptations of recipes
>   the salad dressing Japanese restaurants serve (miso-based, I'd guess)
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Heather Booth

I don't know if this is the particular dressing you have had, but a long
defunct restaurant in New Brunswick NJ called Manna Fest Station served
this dressing on a cabbage, raisin, and raw cashew salad: (sorry, I don't
have exact measurments)

Take a few Umboshi (Japanese salted plums), pit them (or it depit?)
stick them in a blender or food processor along with a scallion or two
and some oil (start with .5 cups, add more to taste), peanut oil or
a bland oil is okay, olive oil is a waste of money in this recipe.
Add some lemon juice (from .5 to 1 lemon) and blend well.  Salt to taste
with soy sauce or tamari.  If you try this let us know how it turns out.

Variations would be to add a bit of sesame oil or to use miso
instead of soy.
--
     Jerry Natowitz (HASA - J division)
     Bell Labs - HR 2A-214

jsnyder@uw-june.UUCP (11/13/86)

In article <773@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) writes:

> Take a few Umboshi (Japanese salted plums), pit them (or it depit?)
> stick them in a blender or food processor along with a scallion or two
> and some oil (start with .5 cups, add more to taste), peanut oil or
> a bland oil is okay, olive oil is a waste of money in this recipe.
> Add some lemon juice (from .5 to 1 lemon) and blend well.  Salt to taste
> with soy sauce or tamari.  If you try this let us know how it turns out.
>
> Variations would be to add a bit of sesame oil or to use miso
> instead of soy.

It's a nice idea to use this kind of dressing with a cabbage, raisin,
and cashew salad, but the recipe given seems incredibly salty.  Umeboshi,
tamari, shoyu, and miso are all salty condiments.  Umeboshi are perhaps
the saltiest (I don't have numbers).  I guess my advice would be to taste
it BEFORE adding tamari or miso.

Here's another Japanese-ish salad dressing:  mix about equal parts
	(1) rice vinegar (other types are too harsh)
	(2) sesame oil (untoasted)
	(3) mirin (the Japanese equivalent to cooking sherry: sweet,
		   fermented liquid made from - you guessed it - rice).

Use this as a marinade for shredded cabbage.  Toss with black sesame seeds.
A little diced red (bell) pepper adds great color.

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/13/86)

Another recipe for "Japanese salad dressing":  mix roughly equal
parts of either lemon juice or rice wine vinegar with soy or tamari,
then add 1/8 to 1/3 as much sesame oil (the concentrated flavoring type,
not the veg. oil type).  Optional:  add sesame seeds and/or finely
chopped scallions and/or a tiny amount of grated ginger to taste.

The basic style (sans options) is used to dress sunamuno at my
local sushi bar!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
 "every time that wheel goes round, bound to cover just a little more ground"
UUCP  : {hplabs|hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}!hp-sdd!andrea
UUCP  : {cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea
ARPA  : hp-sdd!andrea@nosc.arpa
CSNET : hp-sdd!andrea@hplabs.csnet
USnail: 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA