[ny.general] WANTED: Organization that lobbies in field of computer law

simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) (04/28/91)

I am interested in finding out about organizations that lobby in the
field of computer law (for protection of privacy, updating laws to handle
technological advances, etc.). I want to pursue this
as a career, perhaps after going to law school, and would like
some exposure, either as volunteer or employee. I prefer something
in NY city or nearby (NJ, CT), or any organization I can work with
remotely (via modem, phone or letter). Many thanks! -S.
--
( rutgers!cmcl2!panix!simona,  uunet!jyacc!david, simona@panix.uucp )

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr28.033521.23091@panix.uucp> simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) writes:
:I am interested in finding out about organizations that lobby in the
:field of computer law (for protection of privacy, updating laws to handle
:technological advances, etc.). I want to pursue this
:as a career, perhaps after going to law school, and would like
:some exposure, either as volunteer or employee. I prefer something
:in NY city or nearby (NJ, CT), or any organization I can work with
:remotely (via modem, phone or letter). Many thanks! -S.

Read the newsgroup comp.org.eff.talk.

Send mail to mnemonic@eff.org, or most anyone at eff.org, really.

The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is precisely the group of
individuals you should correspond with.

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)

eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) (04/29/91)

(Simona Nass) writes:
:I am interested in finding out about organizations that lobby in the
:field of computer law (for protection of privacy, updating laws to handle
:technological advances, etc.).

Apart from the EFF, you should also check out Computer Professionals for
Social Responsibility.  Their Washington, DC office (director Marc Rotenberg)
do a lot of work on privacy and civil liberties stuff.  They can be reached
at POB 717, Palo Alto, CA, 94302, (415) 322 3778, or
cpsr-staff@csli.stanford.edu

I don't know if you'd call the following outfit "lobbyists", but you're
probably interested in them anyway -- 2600 Magazine, POB 99, Middle Island
NY 11953, (516) 751-2600, emmanuel@well.uucp -- they publish the "hackers
and phreakers" perspective on computer privacy issues, as well as lots of
tech stuff and explanations of how to misuse technology (alternatively,
how technology misuses us).
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an

In article <1991Apr28.064152.19308@engin.umich.edu>, mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr28.033521.23091@panix.uucp> simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) writes:
|> :I am interested in finding out about organizations that lobby in the
|> :field of computer law (for protection of privacy, updating laws to handle
|> :technological advances, etc.).
|>
|> The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is precisely the group of
|> individuals you should correspond with.

  The EFF is *one* group of individuals he should correspond with, but not the
only one.

  Another group he might consider checking out is the League For Programming
Freedom (LPF).  It can be contacted via the E-mail address league@ai.mit.edu.
Furthermore, /pub/lpf on prep.ai.mit.edu contains various position papers and
other useful information put out by the League.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (04/29/91)

:
:  The EFF is *one* group of individuals he should correspond with, but not the
:only one.

True...  I didn't mean to make it sound like they're the ONLY ones out
there.  I figured that the EFF would be as good a place as any to start,
considering their presence on the Usenet.

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.024359.28604@athena.mit.edu>, jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> In article <1991Apr28.064152.19308@engin.umich.edu>, mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) writes:
> |> In article <1991Apr28.033521.23091@panix.uucp> simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) writes:
> |> :I am interested in finding out about organizations that lobby in the
> |> :field of computer law (for protection of privacy, updating laws to handle
> |> :technological advances, etc.).
> |>
> |> The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is precisely the group of
> |> individuals you should correspond with.
>
>   The EFF is *one* group of individuals he should correspond with, but not the
> only one.
>
>   Another group he might consider checking out is the League For Programming
> Freedom (LPF).  It can be contacted via the E-mail address league@ai.mit.edu.
> Furthermore, /pub/lpf on prep.ai.mit.edu contains various position papers and
> other useful information put out by the League.

And the third is Computer Profesional for Social Responsibility.