[net.consumers] Junk Phone Calls, Credit Card Solicitations,& Other Pet Peeves

wjm@whuxj.UUCP (MITCHELL) (03/06/84)

I guess junk phone calls have to be my #1 pet peeve - I agree with everything
thats been said about them on the net.
The worst offenders (in Northern NJ) are Hahne's department store and the
Newark "Star Ledger" -  Hahne's is constantly badgering me to get one of their
credit cards - Frankly, I don't like department store charge cards - why should
I risk $50 for a lost card that is only good in one store - If they don't
accept Amex or Visa, I'll either use cash or shop elsewhere (most of the stores
in the NYC area accept Amex), and I don't buy very much in Hahnes.   The last
time they bothered me, I not only told them that I didn't want a card but that
their phone calls were a strong inducement to shop elsewhere.
The Star Ledger also calls regularly to try to get subscribers to their paper.
Given that I live in Morris rather than Essex county, I can make a case for
subscribing to a local paper, and the "New York Times" but not for a Newark
paper.  They also play the tear-jerk game where they say they will donate a
token amount to some worthy cause (which I usually have donated to already -
either explicitly or through the United Way) if you subscribe .  My stock
answer is "Yes, I think that's a great idea - I'm putting a check to the
Heart Fund (or whatever) in the mail this evening and No I don't want your
paper."
I've found Penney's to be much worse than Sears on charge card solicitation.
However, I've found that if you buy things in Penneys with a Visa card, they
generally don't bother you.
As for Sears, I've had good luck with what I've bought from them - they have
excellent quality tools (and their unconditional hand tool guarantee is just
that - defective Craftsman hand tools are replaced with no questions asked),
general hardware, linens and drapes, and appliances.  I shop there but I pay
cash.  Money saving tip - order things through the catalog , the prices
(including the charge to ship it to the store) are generally lower than the
retail store prices.  It usually only takes 2 or 3 days for it to come in
to the store and they call you at that time.
I've usually been able to convince Radio Shack not to take my name and address
when I'm paying cash by telling the sales person that my name is already on
their mailing list.
By the way, if you are served by a stored program control switching office,
your phone company provides you with a way (for about $2.00 a month extra in
New Jersey) to prevent those autodialing machines from locking up your phone
line in an emergency - just order 3-way calling.  It can also be useful to
bridge the police onto an obscene or threatening call.,
Caveat Emptor ....
Bill Mitchell
Bell Communications Research, Inc.
Whippany, NJ  (whuxj!wjm)

rcd@opus.UUCP (03/08/84)

<>
 > By the way, if you are served by a stored program control switching office,
 > your phone company provides you with a way (for about $2.00 a month extra in
 > New Jersey) to prevent those autodialing machines from locking up your phone
 > line in an emergency - just order 3-way calling.  It can also be useful to
 > bridge the police onto an obscene or threatening call.,
...which is a nice facility to have from your local phone company, BUT I
think most of us that are complaining about junk phone calls want is (1)
not to have our privacy invaded and (2) not to have to pay for this basic
freedom, nor continually reestablish it.  (I'm not saying that the onus is
on the phone company for this - it isn't.)  It should be a matter of
"business ethics" (if that's meaningful in general) not to bother people
with junk phone calls.
--

{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd