[net.consumers] Radio Smack

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (03/06/84)

> Why wouldn't it suffice to say, "If you'd like one of our
> catalogs, give me your address and I'll put you on the mailing list"?

Some stores do this.  They have a stack of 3x5 cards to fill out
and a bin to put them in, and *presto* you're on their mailing
list.  I would think this works very nice for them, it puts those
people on their list *who want to be on it*, rather than
those who happened to buy something (and may be from out of
town and never return).

Last time I was in Radio Smack, I just told the clerk that
I was already on their mailing list. (Which was actually true,
and I sure don't want to get *two* copies of their ads!) It
worked!

--
		_____
	       /_____\	    Have you hugged your beagle today?

eric@aplvax.UUCP (03/07/84)

	Having worked there for three years while in college, thought I
would throw my two cents worth in on the "name and address" routine. First
of all, I never met a Radio Shack employee who liked getting names and
addresses, but I do know employees that were fired for not getting their
quota, usually around 80%. The practice goes back to Radio Shack's early
days, when heavy advertising was its main way of becoming known, long before
the 5000 (no 6000, no 7000, ...) sales outlets. It is actually
somewhat amazing that more people don't end up on the list five and six
times, given the various styles of writting addresses. Anyway, if you
have complaints about the system, write to the management of Tandy, the poor
salesman is just trying to keep his job.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!eric

rtf@ihuxw.UUCP (sparrow) (03/08/84)

<blank line>

An interesting note, all the times I have been to Radio Shack,
to buy various strange things, I have given them my address.

Yet, I have never received a catalog in the mail!!

					sparrow