[net.consumers] SS numbers etc.-A few comments

jj@rabbit.UUCP (05/17/84)

I didn't want to get into this one, but I can't let the attack on
Tom Condon go completely unanswered.

1)  This is net.consumers (and net.legal...), not net.flame.
Personal attacks (if they have to happen at all) should be in
mail or net.flame, and NOT in a serious newsgroup.

2)  There are many, many documented incidents involving someone
giving a fake SS number to banks/credit companies/employers,
that have eventually come home to the real owner of the number in
the form of cancelled credit, IRS audits, arrest warrants for
Tax evasion, and the like.  Not wanting to spread around the
one number that the government uses to keep track of all your intimate
activities, especially in light of the criminal actions that have
been known, is merely prudent and reasonable.  It is neither paranoid,
nor silly.

3)  Banks don't issue gas cards, gas companies do, and they want
your SS# for credit checks. They don't use them to report the
interest that you have PAID.  Keeping track of that is your responsibility,
and it is YOU that must prove to the IRS that you paid said interest if
the IRS asks.

4)  Banks DO have to report interest paid TO you.  This has been covered
many times in the past week, and I'll say no more.

Please move the personal petulance to net.flame, or perhaps /dev/null,
and let's use net.consumers for the use it was intended, namely
consumer information.

Thank you very much,
--
TEDDY BEARS ARE MUCH NICER THAN PEOPLE--HUG YOURS, I DO!
(Instead of spa, we'll drink brown ale,

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!rabbit!jj

dee@cca.UUCP (Donald Eastlake) (06/18/84)

A lot of people in the military just print their social security number
on their checks, along with address and phone number.  Maybe they are
anti-paranoid.
--
	+	Donald E. Eastlake, III
	ARPA:	dee@CCA-UNIX		usenet:	{decvax,linus}!cca!dee

scw@cepu.UUCP (06/20/84)

In article <730@cca.UUCP> dee@cca.UUCP writes:
>A lot of people in the military just print their social security number
>on their checks, along with address and phone number.  Maybe they are
>anti-paranoid.

No, this is a holdover from the time when the Armed Forces had service numbers.
Most stores near Bases like to see the persons SN on the check (as part of the
printed information) Post/Base Exchanges require it.  However since sometime
in the '70s the Armed Forces have been using SSNs instead of unique SN
sets (less numbers to keep around).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcsvax!bmcg}!cepu!scw