[net.consumers] is VISA == MASTERCARD summary of responses

tim@callan.UUCP (07/13/84)

{}

Here is the summary of responses received to my question about
VISA and MASTERCARD.  I asked if there were any differences
between these credit cards.  The following people have
responded as of 7/12/84 ( I may have lost a couple others ):

	u1100a!dbg
	drutx!eac
	sask!derek
	hogpc!btb
	wivax!tackett
	inmet!bhyde
	genrad!rob (Rob Wood)
	convex!hosking (Doug Hosking)
	inmet!andrew
	ulysses!exodus!dhc
	charm!sdc
	utcsrgv!dave
	charm!cjy
	callan!oren

And here is what they said:

VISA seems to be accepted at slightly more places that MASTERCARD in
the U.S..  However, Disney World does not take VISA!

Outside the U.S., VISA seems to be the winner.  Several people reported
that it is more widely accepted in Europe, with one person reporting
that there were even places that took VISA but not AMERICAN EXPRESS.
VISA is also accepted in China.

Many people pointed out that at the bank end of things, there are
differences, so shopping around is a good idea.

If one needs a lot of credit, having one or more of each ( one person
reported five VISA cards! ) is one way to do it.

Two people said that they had VISA cards from banks in other states,
leading to delays in charges and payments showing up on their bill.
One of them liked the delay in charges and took advantage of it,
while the other was annoyed at the delay in payments.

Thanks to those who responded.

PS: I suppose if one is very paranoid, one should prefer MASTERCARD,
because it has more digits, so would be harder to guess! :-)
--
"As the Yaks go, so go the Wombats!"
					Tim Smith

gary@grkermit.UUCP (Gary K. Roberts) (07/27/84)