[net.consumers] Watch your alternate long distance p

kal@trsvax.UUCP (08/02/84)

#R:gargoyle:-17400:trsvax:70900015:000:530
trsvax!kal    Aug  2 13:14:00 1984

	 MCI tells their customers not to let the phone ring more than 6
times.  Then hang-up and try the number again.  When you use the line for the
length of time that 6 rings consume, AT&T automatically starts billing MCI.
MCI has no way of knowing if you were talking or if the phone was ringing.
When we accidently let it ring more than 6 times and are billed for the call,
a call to MCI removes the call from our bill.  And they are really nice about
it.  I'll stick with MCI for cheaper long cistance calls and courtesy, too.

jdd@allegra.UUCP (John DeTreville) (08/06/84)

 From: kal@trsvax.UUCP
 Newsgroups: net.consumers
 Subject: Re: Watch your alternate long distance p - (nf)
 Date: Thu, 2-Aug-84 14:14:00 EDT

	 MCI tells their customers not to let the phone ring more than 6
 times.  Then hang-up and try the number again.  When you use the line for the
 length of time that 6 rings consume, AT&T automatically starts billing MCI...

This explanation is inaccurate.  MCI's charging is not a function of what it
pays for the underlying transmission (and the overcharge described above
does not exist); it is a function of their current inability to distinguish
properly between calls completed and calls not completed.  The local
operating companies will begin to provide them with the appropriate
information over the next few years.

Cheers,
John ("I Use AT&T 'Cause They Give Me A Discount") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill