[net.consumers] Car Deposit Refundable

adb1@hogpd.UUCP (A.BENSON) (08/22/84)

Has anyone ever placed a deposit on a car, changed their mind about purchasing
the vehicle and received their deposit back?  I recently placed a deposit on
a car and two business days later decided I no longer wanted it.  The dealer
is not interested in returning any of the deposit.  Do I have any grounds
on which to stand?

mpr@mb2c.UUCP (Mark Reina) (08/22/84)

To: the poor guy who left a deposit for a new car
Generally, I see no reason why you should not get your deposit back.
You may have signed a piece of paper which declared that you were
making a "firm offer."  However, under the Uniform commercial code,
the regular consumer can not make a "firm offer."  You should try
complaining loudly and clearly to the car dealer.  Then sue in
small claims court (depending on the size of you deposit).

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (08/22/84)

I am not certain about other states, but I can quite certainly state
that in California, if you put a deposit on a car and change your mind
within the statutory limit (3 days I think) you can indeed get all your
deposit back.  I have done it.

I THINK it is nationwide, and applies to all installment contracts.  It
derives from the Fairness in Lending act or some such.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not an attorney.  (though some of my best friends are...)

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

parnass@ihuxf.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/22/84)

If a consumer can get his/her deposit back after changing
his/her mind, then what is the purpose of a deposit?

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihuxf!parnass - (312)979-5414

bcn@mit-eddie.UUCP (Clifford Neuman) (08/24/84)

I know one person who was able to get his deposit back based on lack
of consideration on the part of the dealer.  It didn't involve the
purchase of a vehicle, but instead it's lease.  I don't know all the
facts, but when he brought up the issue of lack of consideration, they
refunded the deposit.

	~ Cliff

eac@druor.UUCP (CveticEA) (08/24/84)

I can think of two reasons why the dealer might be allowed to keep at
least part of the deposit.  The dealer is losing money every day the car
is on the lot.  If someone puts a deposit on a car, and doesn't go
through, the dealer has paid to keep a car on the lot, without being
allowed to sell it.  Also watch out for signing papers when you give
a dealer a deposit "to show good faith".  You are probably signing a
contract.

My advice--no car is so unique that you can't afford to pass it by.  Shop
around, know exactly what you want to buy, and when you find it, buy it.
If financing is the hang up, arrange for it before you actually walk into
the dealer, or have the dealer put a clause in the contract that says it
is void if you can't obtain financing.  Make sure the dealer doesn't have
the right to provide financing if you can't get your own.  Read
Consumer Report's annual car issue.  They always publish an article on
how to buy a car.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!druor!eac

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (08/27/84)

----------
My mother-in-law placed a deposit on an Oldsmobile several years
ago, about the time the transmission problem hit the news.  When the
car was delivered (it was special ordered with the equipment she wanted)
it turned out that it was manufactured in the last week that they used
the under-sized transmissions.  While they did offer an extended
warranty on the transmission, she refused the car, and managed to get
her deposit back as well.  (She then bought another Olds off the lot of
another dealer!).

billd@bolton.UUCP (Bill Duffy) (08/28/84)

was written to the effect that the deposit was un-refundable, he would
refund the deposit.

	Let's face it. The dealers are very susceptable(sp?) to public
view. If you make enough noise, they will keep you happy. This is
good publicity, to do otherwise is bad publicity.

	--
-------

			Bill Duffy
			General Radio
			genrad!bolton!billd

			---- Disclaimer ----
    All opinions stated herein may or may not be those of my employer.

hawk@oliven.UUCP (08/28/84)

>I am not certain about other states, but I can quite certainly state
>that in California, if you put a deposit on a car and change your mind
>within the statutory limit (3 days I think) you can indeed get all your
>deposit back.  I have done it.

>I THINK it is nationwide, and applies to all installment contracts.  It
>derives from the Fairness in Lending act or some such.

With this restriction, there is no way that I as a dealer would even think of
ordering the car until this three days expired.

--
   rick                                     (Rick Hawkins @ Olivetti ATC)
[hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix]!oliveb!oliven!hawk

ljs@hou5a.UUCP (08/28/84)

In New York state there are fairly strong laws protecteing your interest
in such situations. They must be printed on the deposit contract.
	In my own case I used this protection to 'fight back' at the
common practise of dealer's not committing to color, options or delivery
dates. They use the excuse of demand and non-custom production. What
this does though is allow them to stall you and bump other people past
you on the list if they pay more than you, either over or under the
table.
	What I did was to order two cars, one at each of two dealers.
Each dealer told me different 'realities' of option mix I could ecpect.
Both proved as much wrong as right(i.e. sunroofs ALWAYS come with mag
alloy wheels, etc.).
	Anyway I got the color I wanted and most of the options (no
sunroof) from the dealer who wrote me  a better deal, and delivered
first at that.
	I then cancelled the other order (now he had an extra car to
finagle deals with) and got back the deposit within two weeks.
It seems no less ethical than airline overbooking and, for once, it
works for the 'little guy'.
By the way, the car was a Toyota Corrolla LE, and its GREAT!
--
Larry Shine <ATT Information Systems, Holmdel N.J.>
{allegra,harpo,hogpc,ihnp4,zehntel,ucbvax,sdcsvax,eagle,burl}!hou5a!ljs

ljdickey@watmath.UUCP (Lee Dickey) (08/29/84)

> If a consumer can get his/her deposit back after changing
> his/her mind, then what is the purpose of a deposit?

When I make an deposit, I expect it to mean something like this:

  (1)	The seller will hold the goods for me for some prescribed
	period of time, and will not sell to someone else, even
	if they offer a higher price.

  (2)	If I do not come complete the purchase within the
	prescribed period, I lose the depost, and the seller
	is free to sell to anyone else.

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (08/29/84)

In article <416@oliven.UUCP> hawk@oliven.UUCP (Rick Hawkins @ Olivetti ATC)
writes:

>With this restriction, there is no way that I as a dealer would even think of
>ordering the car until this three days expired.

Last May I bought a VW Jetta, and the dealer drove from Concord to
Sacramento (about 75 miles) to get the car I wanted, the day after
I placed the order.  THIS time I didn't change my mind, and am quite
pleased with the car.

I seem to recall that the Chevy dealer I cancelled my order with HAD
placed the order, but had no trouble cancelling it, since the car had not
yet been scheduled for assembly.
--

hawk@oliven.UUCP (Rick) (08/29/84)

>	To paraphrase: This individual put a down-payment on a car that
>was to be special ordered (custom options... ect.). After a couple
>of MONTHS had passed by, the person changed his mind and wanted his
>$1000.00 refund back. First try with the dealer was unsuccessful, so
>he contacted the Globe. The Globe contacted the dealer and printed his
>response. The dealer said even though the contract was signed and
>was written to the effect that the deposit was un-refundable, he would
>refund the deposit.

If the car was coming as scheduled, I really don't see that the customer had
any right to complain or expect his money back.  If, on the other hand, the car
was delayed unreasonably, the customer could sue for breach of contract on the
dealer's part, I'd expect.

--
   rick                                     (Rick Hawkins @ Olivetti ATC)
[hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix]!oliveb!oliven!hawk

engels@ihuxo.UUCP (SME) (08/31/84)

Several years ago, we ordered a Datsun with several options. The dealer
put down 8 weeks to deliver the car.  My husband added to the contract
that if the car was not available at the end of 8 weeks, we would get
our deposit back with a Smile.

8 weeks later, our deposit was returned by a smiling salesperson.