[net.misc] Creat/Ev #1

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (03/12/84)

For clarity, I have broken my response to Ray Miller into several separate
articles.

Ray Miller writes:

>      Is evolution falsifiable?  Is creation falsifiable?  No for the first and
> yes for the second.  Hence by the criteria of some on the net, evolution is a
> pseudo-science while creation is a science.

> The evolutionary biologists Drs. Ehrlich and Birch wrote in
> "Nature" that "Our theory of evolution has become...one which cannot be
> refuted by any possible observations..."

Unfortunately, Ray's reference ("Nature") is incomplete, so I can't check it
to see if it has been taken out of context (a common creationist debating
tactic).  However, let that pass.  Even if it fairly represents the opinion
of Drs. Ehrlich and Birch, it is just that - an opinion - and a minority
one at that.  Some evolutionists do indeed have this opinion, but no matter
how eminent the authority, arguments from authority, such as this, carry
little weight.

> Bill's suggested test was evidence of men and dinosaurs living
> contemporaneously.

Not quite.  I asked for specific, physical evidence gathered under
conditions that would guarantee their authenticity and interpretation.
Ray has avoided discussing my proposal, so he has failed to prove
anything about the testability of evolution, except to show that the
opinions of evolutionists on this issue are not homogeneous.  So, Ray,
how about getting back to the point and showing why my proposal
(and others like it) would fail to give evolutionary theory serious
difficulty?

Besides, I doubt that Ray really believes that evolution is not
falsifiable.  If he did, why would he spend so much time trying to
falsify it (with the Paluxy features, for example)?
--

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)