[net.consumers] Let's make the mail order market full credited !!

aynang@pur-ee.UUCP (10/02/84)

     I think there should have a way to protect the consumers
preventing them from being cheated or badly serviced.

     As for my recent experience when mail ordering a modem from a
dealer -- PC Network ( Personal Computer Network ), I think I should
not trust this kind of mail order any more, at least to this one.

     I think their extraordinary inefficiency should be known by
everyone who used to mail ordered some computer equipments. I ordered
a modem from them on August 20, while received it on September 25. In
addition, I had made 5 phone calls and written 3 letters to them to
check how they processed my order. As a final conclusion, I got my
modem, but I have to pay another two bills for unknown reasons !! (
They mailed me via COD, and I don't like to miss my modem again . )
One more word. They did, however, cash my money order on August 23,
while they claimed they had never received it. Can anyone explain
this?

     I think that looks like something cheating to the consumers. As
a new comer from other country just entering the states, I don't even
know to whom should I make a complain.

     I had talked this with some friends of mine. Some of them who
had dealed with this store also commented they as not reliable.

     That's why I post this news. I think all this kind of bad
services should be broadcasted to prevent others from being fooling.

Address of PC Network :

PC Network
320 West Ohio
Chicago, IL 60610
tel 1-800-621-SAVE

o.o      Aynang Yang
 ~
         usenet : pur-ee!aynang

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (10/03/84)

In article <2202@pur-ee.UUCP> aynang@pur-ee.UUCP writes:

>     I think there should have a way to protect the consumers
>preventing them from being cheated or badly serviced.
>
>     As for my recent experience when mail ordering a modem from a
>dealer -- PC Network ( Personal Computer Network ), I think I should
>not trust this kind of mail order any more, at least to this one.
>
>     I think their extraordinary inefficiency should be known by
>everyone who used to mail ordered some computer equipments. I ordered
>a modem from them on August 20, while received it on September 25. In
>addition, I had made 5 phone calls and written 3 letters to them to
>check how they processed my order. As a final conclusion, I got my
>modem, but I have to pay another two bills for unknown reasons !! (
>They mailed me via COD, and I don't like to miss my modem again . )
>One more word. They did, however, cash my money order on August 23,
>while they claimed they had never received it. Can anyone explain
>this?
>
>     I think that looks like something cheating to the consumers. As
>a new comer from other country just entering the states, I don't even
>know to whom should I make a complain.
>
>     I had talked this with some friends of mine. Some of them who
>had dealed with this store also commented they as not reliable.
>
>     That's why I post this news. I think all this kind of bad
>services should be broadcasted to prevent others from being fooling.
>
>Address of PC Network :
>
>PC Network
>320 West Ohio
>Chicago, IL 60610
>tel 1-800-621-SAVE
>

>o.o      Aynang Yang

   I have bought many things from mail order houses but I make it a policy
always to pay by credit card. If the merchandise is not forth-coming in a
timely fashion (and this has happened to me on occasion) then I merely inform
the credit card company that I am not going to pay them. This also works if
the merchandise is faulty or not what was originally agreed upon. (However you
must return it and show proof that you did).

   You should never send checks to strangers without first having the property
in your hands. The problem stated is certainly a good example why. Even COD
does not solve the problem because if the merchandise is faulty it is too
late.

   I would also expect that a letter to the modem manufacturer with a copy
to the attorney-general of Illinois and the Better Business Bureau of Chicago
might have some interesting results.

			Bob Shapiro

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (10/17/84)

>      I think there should have a way to protect the consumers
> preventing them from being cheated or badly serviced.
>
>      As for my recent experience when mail ordering a modem from a
> dealer -- PC Network ( Personal Computer Network ), I think I should
> not trust this kind of mail order any more, at least to this one.
>
>      I think their extraordinary inefficiency should be known by
> everyone who used to mail ordered some computer equipments. I ordered
> a modem from them on August 20, while received it on September 25. In

> One more word. They did, however, cash my money order on August 23,
>
>      I think that looks like something cheating to the consumers. As
>
>      That's why I post this news. I think all this kind of bad
> services should be broadcasted to prevent others from being fooling.
>
> Address of PC Network :
>
> PC Network
> 320 West Ohio
> Chicago, IL 60610
> tel 1-800-621-SAVE

Federal law requires a mail order business to ship, or reply (with
cancellation option) within **THIRTY** days of receipt of order.
Since you **RECEIVED** your modem 36 days after you ordered it and
only 33 days after they cashed your check it looks to me as though
they have complied with the law.  If you want faster service I
cannot recommend mail order.  That's what local merchants (generally
with higher prices) are in business to provide.  (Off the shelf).
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

* Advanced Micro Devices is not responsible for anything I *
* say here and probably wishes I wouldn't.                 *
* I'm not responsible for typos and homonyms.              *