[net.consumers] Commercial Ventures

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (11/06/84)

I am interested, as part of my continuing effort to come up with money
making schemes, in polling the opinion of the populace at large as to the
following ideas:
1) Since the Gipper is bound to win the election today (meaning, in the
larger sense, that the economy is doomed to experience a profound recession
by about this time next year) what about the creation and marketing of
bumperstickers and/or buttons with the slogan: "Don't Blame Me; I Voted for
Mondale". Moreover, I would advertise the fact that
50 % of the profit on each sale would be donated to a
campaign fund to elect a Democrat in 1988, to offset the huge and somewhat
unfair bankroll the Republicans get from the Conservative world at large.

2) Ten years ago, if you drove along the roadsides of America about the
only type of fastfood one could find were greasy hamburgers/cheeseburgers a
la Burger King & McDonalds. Since then, however, the tastes of the American
eating public have changed dramatically, and it is not uncommon to find
quickie Mexican rest., and other "exotic" rest., depending on the part of
the country your in. What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
chains. The restaurants I'm thinking of would specialize in one type of
food in particular- something the Chinese call "dim sum". These are various
types of bite size morsels that one can find in Chinatowns accross the
country (things like pork buns, steamed dumplings, etc.) They can be cheap,
being sold for around 30 to 75 cents apiece (depending on size) are
generally not greasy, can be frozen for delivery accross country, come in a
large number of varieties, and are very different from what one can
generally find on a roadside now.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts; G. Sclar
{seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (11/09/84)

> From: gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar)

> 2) Ten years ago, if you drove along the roadsides of America about the
> only type of fastfood one could find were greasy hamburgers/cheeseburgers a
> la Burger King & McDonalds. Since then, however, the tastes of the American
> eating public have changed dramatically, and it is not uncommon to find
> quickie Mexican rest., and other "exotic" rest., depending on the part of
> the country your in. What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
> chains.

Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
could call it Bulghur King.

Ouch!  Sorry, but Dick Dunn made be do it.
--
Don't eat with your hands, use your entrenching tool!

{ihnp4 hao philabs sdcrdcf ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat	Larry Tepper
Storage Technology, MD-3T, Louisville, CO 80028		303-673-5435

jlh@loral.UUCP (Walter Mitty) (11/09/84)

> I am interested, as part of my continuing effort to come up with money
> making schemes, in polling the opinion of the populace at large as to the
> following ideas:
> 1) Since the Gipper is bound to win the election today (meaning, in the
> larger sense, that the economy is doomed to experience a profound recession
> by about this time next year) what about the creation and marketing of
> bumperstickers and/or buttons with the slogan: "Don't Blame Me; I Voted for
> Mondale". Moreover, I would advertise the fact that
> 50 % of the profit on each sale would be donated to a
> campaign fund to elect a Democrat in 1988, to offset the huge and somewhat
> unfair bankroll the Republicans get from the Conservative world at large.

Up your nose with a rubber hose, garlic breath.  Oh, this isn't flame???
Then lets change that to 'I disagree with your assessment of Reagon and
Mondale".

> 2) Ten years ago, if you drove along the roadsides of America about the
> only type of fastfood one could find were greasy hamburgers/cheeseburgers a
> la Burger King & McDonalds. Since then, however, the tastes of the American
> eating public have changed dramatically, and it is not uncommon to find
> quickie Mexican rest., and other "exotic" rest., depending on the part of
> the country your in. What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
> chains. The restaurants I'm thinking of would specialize in one type of
> food in particular- something the Chinese call "dim sum". These are various
> types of bite size morsels that one can find in Chinatowns accross the
> country (things like pork buns, steamed dumplings, etc.) They can be cheap,
> being sold for around 30 to 75 cents apiece (depending on size) are
> generally not greasy, can be frozen for delivery accross country, come in a
> large number of varieties, and are very different from what one can
> generally find on a roadside now.

Here in San Diego there are several independant mom and pop type restruants
that specialize in Vietnamese, Chinese, Polynesian, and Filipino foods.
The ones I've tried range from good to excellant, and the prices are VERY
reasonable (how does $2.95 for an excellant all-you-can-eat vietnamese
dinner sound?).  Naturally, these are run by Vietnamese, Chinese, etc type
people and I really doubt they will ever join together into a large chain.
This is due mainly to the fact that these are family run operations, with
them probably paying themselves less than minimum wage.  Thats the only
way I can see they keep prices so low, as the food itself must cost about
what I pay for the dinner, let alone rent, electricity, taxes, and all those
other things needed to run a restruant (sp?).

> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts; G. Sclar
> {seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

Now that you heard them, do you regret waiting???

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/13/84)

> > ... What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
> > chains.
>
> Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
> could call it Bulghur King.
>
> Ouch!  Sorry, but Dick Dunn made be do it.

Larry, there's not a grain of truth in that (though it's a pita I didn't
put you up to it).  I felafel when someone accuses me of punnishing
people.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (11/14/84)

As part of my continuing efforts to come up with a winner of a money making
idea, I'd like to try this one out on you. As always your responses are
elicited. You all know that a variety of consumable liquids now are
available right on your supermarket shelves in little paper boxes. Just
stick in a straw and slurp away. Well, the winter months are coming up and
Doctors tell us that there's nothing for treating the nastiness of winter
colds like hot chicken soup. Only, most of us don't live with our mom's
anymore. What about a "dose" of chicken soup in a paper box that one could
heat up by sticking in a microwave. You could take it to work and have it
ready when you felt those nasty little virusoids creeping up, unbeknownst,
on your precious nasal mucosa. Send your comments, criticisms and death
threats to : seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (11/15/84)

> > > ... What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
> > > chains.
> > Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
> > could call it Bulghur King.
> Larry, there's not a grain of truth in that (though it's a pita I didn't
> put you up to it).  I felafel when someone accuses me of punnishing
> people.

Then of course, there's that chain which serves Alaskan-Chinese food:
Lo Mein on the Totem Pole.
--

-> Joe Presley (ihnp4!j.presley)

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (11/20/84)

Now for the latest in my series of presentations to the general public of
money making ideas; you say you've gone shopping at the local megamall and
now you have no idea of where you parked your car; presenting "The Finder";
you carry a small, very local radio transmitter in your purse or pocket, the
receiver for which is mounted in your car. At a signal from you your car
will respond with either the flash of a tiny strobe unit (which you would
mount on your radio antenna) or respond with a radio signal (i.e.- for day
time finding) that you could use to find which direction your car was in
(i.e.- follow it as it gets louder). As always, responses are elicited;
{seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/20/84)

> > > Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
> > > could call it Bulghur King.
> > Larry, there's not a grain of truth in that (though it's a pita I didn't
> > put you up to it).  I felafel when someone accuses me of punnishing
> > people.
>
> Then of course, there's that chain which serves Alaskan-Chinese food:
> Lo Mein on the Totem Pole.
> --
>
> -> Joe Presley (ihnp4!j.presley)

My favorite is the local sausage place called "Best of the Wurst".

Actually, we had fast Japanese food places called "Tokyo Bowl"
The food is terrible.

-Ron

rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) (11/22/84)

>Now for the latest in my series of presentations to the general public of
>money making ideas; you say you've gone shopping at the local megamall and
>now you have no idea of where you parked your car; presenting "The Finder";
>you carry a small, very local radio transmitter in your purse or pocket, the
>receiver for which is mounted in your car. At a signal from you your car
>will respond with either the flash of a tiny strobe unit (which you would
>mount on your radio antenna) or respond with a radio signal (i.e.- for day
>{seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

Some luxury cars already have a similar mechanism which allows you to remotely
activate your car's horn...

Rich Goldschmidt     {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax,allegra} !cbosgd!rbg

acsccjk@sunybcs.UUCP (Chris Kracik) (11/27/84)

> > > ... What about fast Chinese? I don't know of any national
> > > chains.
> >
> > Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
> > could call it Bulghur King.

*
*  how about a jewish fast food chain and call it :

     McDavids?????

*
*  i also apologize for that not too punny joke!

                    cjk (suny at buffalo)

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (11/27/84)

In article <5967@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>Actually, we had fast Japanese food places called "Tokyo Bowl"
>The food is terrible.

There is a chain here called "Happi House".  It's named after the Siouxsie
and the Banshees song, but they understandably misspelled it.

[1] The servers reinforce the theme by wearing "Happy House-coats".

[2] I think the food is good for fast-food, but I know others who
violently disagree.

[3] Why am I posting this to net.singles and net.consumers?

--
Welcome to Usenet -- now go home

David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

ribl@hou4b.UUCP (R Blechman) (11/27/84)

>Now for the latest in my series of presentations to the general public of
>money making ideas; you say you've gone shopping at the local megamall and
>now you have no idea of where you parked your car; presenting "The Finder";
>you carry a small, very local radio transmitter in your purse or pocket, the
>receiver for which is mounted in your car. At a signal from you your car
>will respond with either the flash of a tiny strobe unit (which you would
>mount on your radio antenna) or respond with a radio signal (i.e.- for day
>{seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

>>Some luxury cars already have a similar mechanism which allows you to remotely
>>activate your car's horn...

Wonderful, I can envision leaving the shopping mall at closing
time to the sight of thousands of cars flashing, honking and whirring at
their owners!! :)
Better market them quick before someone else beats you to it...
with all that noise and distracting light flashing around,
the aggravation level of this one will probably deter its use after
a lot of people get em (if not demanded so by local ordicances).
Of course, by then, you should have quite a bit of change in your pocket
so...

Personally, i'd prefer that the car find me when i use "The Finder".
-ron blechman
hou4b!ribl

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (11/27/84)

What follows is another of my ideas for money making enterprises. Recently
I read in the N.Y. Times that a hefty percentage of what are known as the
"responsa", questions to Rabbis about Jewish law (with their corresponding
answers) had been entered into a computer in Israel, making them available
to scholars and Israeli courts of law. But these ancient traditions should
be made more available to the general populace. Knowledge promotes
understanding and all that rot. The trouble is that people are resistant to
such learning. "It's not relevant to modern times", "It's too much trouble"
etc. What if someone were to come up with something like several editions
of, for instance, something like "Trivial Pursuits" based on the Talmud and
other Jewish religious works? Not only would more folks get to learn about
these laws (and some of the fascinating special cases to which they apply)
but it might also make an excellent game of some sort. As usual, I'm
interested in your responses (no hanging parties please). Send to
!seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (11/27/84)

Yet another money making idea. This one is specifically directed at persons
in California. California is fast becoming known as the culinary center of
the nation with new styles, especially a form of "American" cusine,
springing up, coming into favor, and then passing away. It so happens that
the area of the country in which I currently live boasts a particularly
interesting dish of it's own. What I'd like to know is what kind of
reception it might receive in the Bay Area, L.A., Oakland, etc. It's
Buffalo and Rochester style fried chicken wings. These come with mild,
medium, or very hot barbeque sauce on them, and usually with a little side
dish of blue cheese sauce (Buffalo) or dill sauce (Rochester) for dipping.
They are
very popular in bars and go well with a glass of beer (we drink Gennesse
beer around here; how I miss Henry Weinhards- are they up to bootling 100
yet?). They sell for 2.50-3.50 a dozen. Does this sound yummy to anyone in
California?
seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary

mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (11/28/84)

>> > Better yet, why not start a chain serving middle eastern food, and you
>> > could call it Bulghur King.

   My wife suggests that one could start a Chinese health-food restaurant
and call it Lo Fat.

   My own idea for an indispensible consumer product takes note of the fact
that many TV programs are now being broadcast "closed captioned."  These
send character codes for the subtitles during the picture blanking interval.
This means that the receiver has the subtitle text in machine-readable form
(the decoder then generates the video for the characters).

   Now, hardware to synthesize speech is available and, because of the
prevalence of LSI chips, becoming cheaper and cheaper.  One could take the
character codes corresponding to the subtitles, process them into words
with a microprocessor, and convert the resulting words into speech.  Said
another way, one could build a little box to speak the subtitles!

   That way, even blind people could watch TV!

						Matt

uph@fortune.UUCP (Umesh P. Hiriyannaiah) (11/29/84)

In article <940@teddy.UUCP> mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) writes:

>   My own idea for an indispensible consumer product takes note of the fact
>that many TV programs are now being broadcast "closed captioned."  These
>send character codes for the subtitles during the picture blanking interval.
>This means that the receiver has the subtitle text in machine-readable form
>(the decoder then generates the video for the characters).
>
>   Now, hardware to synthesize speech is available and, because of the
>prevalence of LSI chips, becoming cheaper and cheaper.  One could take the
>character codes corresponding to the subtitles, process them into words
>with a microprocessor, and convert the resulting words into speech.  Said
>another way, one could build a little box to speak the subtitles!
>
>   That way, even blind people could watch TV!
>
>						Matt

What's wrong with the volume control knob on the TV ?

						Umesh

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (11/29/84)

RE: Making a box to voice-synthesize close-captioned subtitles.

"That way, even blind people can watch TV!"

Blind people *can* 'watch' TV.  Remember that subtitles are for
people who can't hear what's already being broadcast loud and clear
through their TV speakers.  Why couldn't blind people hear that,
rather than the subtitles?

Oh, you were kidding?  Never mind.
--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this

richr@iddic.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (11/30/84)

In article <940@teddy.UUCP> mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) writes:

>   My own idea for an indispensible consumer product takes note of the fact
>that many TV programs are now being broadcast "closed captioned."  These
>send character codes for the subtitles during the picture blanking interval.
>This means that the receiver has the subtitle text in machine-readable form
>(the decoder then generates the video for the characters).
>
>   Now, hardware to synthesize speech is available and, because of the
>prevalence of LSI chips, becoming cheaper and cheaper.  One could take the
>character codes corresponding to the subtitles, process them into words
>with a microprocessor, and convert the resulting words into speech.  Said
>another way, one could build a little box to speak the subtitles!
>
>   That way, even blind people could watch TV!
>
>						Matt

Are you serious?????

Subtitles take away most of the sounds.  Blind people can already hear
a normal television, so would not need this technical marvel of yours.

Why am I here, what am I doing?

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/02/84)

>   That way, even blind people could watch TV!
>						Matt
The Chief Engineer at WJLA (CH. 7) in Washington thinks this way too.
When my dad was doing some legal work with regard the unions there the
point came up that the union required one of their members to be present
to operate the Videofont machine during EBS tests.  My dad asked what a
videofont machine was and he was told that it was a device to put the letters
up on the bottom of the screen so the blind people could read it.

Too bad there isn't a control to turn up the intelligence of TV.  There's
one marked brightness, but it doesn't seem to work.

-Ron

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (12/06/84)

Another in my continuing series of money making ideas. More and more people
these days seem to require psychiatric help to make it through the problems
and emotional upheavals in life. However, visits to most psychiatrists,
even those employing 'sliding scales' are inordinately expensive; many
people become 'hooked' on a habit that is just beyond their means. Some
kind of discount service is called for. In addition, most shrinks require
that you make formal appointments and show at their convenience, not when
you feel troubled, and need emotional support and sound advice. What about
"Tele-Shrink". This would be a psychiatric counseling service available
only over the phone. Subscribers would pay an initial membership fee,
which would enable them to talk to any of a number of trained
pschologists, paying only for connect time and a small additional fee as a
function of time. You pay only for what you feel you need, not for
additional treatments of dubious value. Calling a particular extension
during a particular time would enable you to (perhaps) get ahold of
particular therapists. For a small additional fee, one might arrange for
the therapist to call you. Another additional benefit, especially for women
would be that there would be no opportunity for the therapist to try and
seduce the female patient, as often happens in the case of female patients
and male psychiatrists. For paranoid patients, a small scrambler system
might be installed on the subscriber's phone line to prevent unauthorized
parties from listening in. As always, your comments and criticisms are
encouraged. {seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

gary@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Gary Sclar) (12/06/84)

I might just add that certain people have already found the value of such
phone services- witness the tremendous expansion of services offering
earotic prostitution over the phone- the so-called 'phone-sex' agencies.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (12/07/84)

>Some
>kind of discount service is called for. In addition, most shrinks require
>that you make formal appointments and show at their convenience, not when
>you feel troubled, and need emotional support and sound advice. What about
>"Tele-Shrink". This would be a psychiatric counseling service available
>only over the phone. Subscribers would pay an initial membership fee,
>which would enable them to talk to any of a number of trained
>pschologists, paying only for connect time and a small additional fee as a
>function of time. You pay only for what you feel you need, not for
>additional treatments of dubious value. Calling a particular extension
>during a particular time would enable you to (perhaps) get ahold of
>particular therapists. For a small additional fee, one might arrange for
>the therapist to call you.

I can't begin to list how many sections of the APA Ethics  Code  this  idea
would  violate.  It  also runs contrary to most techniques of psychological
treatment.

>Another additional benefit, especially for women
>would be that there would be no opportunity for the therapist to try and
>seduce the female patient, as often happens in the case of female patients
>and male psychiatrists.       ^^^^^

You think  male  patients  never  get  seduced?  And  what's  this  "often"
bullroar?  Sure,  it  happens,  but  not in the majority, or even any large
minority, of cases.

>For paranoid patients, a small scrambler system
>might be installed on the subscriber's phone line to prevent unauthorized
>parties from listening in.

Catering to the patient's delusions is a good idea?

>As always, your comments and criticisms are
>encouraged. {seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary}

1) I have a Master's degree in Clinical Psychology and I wouldn't touch this
   proposal with a barge pole.

2) From your proposal, it's obvious you know  nothing  about  psychotherapy
   and  its proper handling/administration.  Drop this idea before you hurt
   someone (and get yourself sued).

3) There already exist many dial-up services for counseling referrals  and
   talk.  For the most part, they're free of charge.

--
The Polymath
(Jerry Hollombe)                  Opinions expressed here are my own

andre@bmcg.UUCP (12/08/84)

Since the inception of personal computers has become an everyday
household appliance why not have coin operated personal computers.
They can be put everywhere, from libraries to airport terminals,
what about coin operated terminals subscribing to a net such as
this one?
comments?

(these opinions are my own and may not reflect my wife's or
my three kids who have opinions of thir own)

acsccjk@sunybcs.UUCP (Chris Kracik) (12/10/84)

> Its Buffalo and Rochester style fried chicken wings. These come with mild,
> medium, or very hot barbeque sauce on them, and usually with a little side
> dish of blue cheese sauce (Buffalo) or dill sauce (Rochester) for dipping.
> They are
> very popular in bars and go well with a glass of beer (we drink Gennesse
> beer around here; how I miss Henry Weinhards- are they up to bootling 100
> yet?). They sell for 2.50-3.50 a dozen. Does this sound yummy to anyone in
> California?
> seismo!rochester!cvsvax!gary

     you forgot a couple of things :

1 - they are orignally from Buffalo (Anchor bar on main street to be exact)
2 - the hot sauces are mild, medium, hot and suicidal
3 - along wit the blue cheese is served slices of celery or carrots
    (celery is best)

4 - here in buffalo (home of the wing) we drink pitchers of stroh's with
    or wings (or canadian bought bradors or extra stock)

                                cjk