[net.consumers] lifetime of rechargeable batteries

tag@garfield.UUCP (Terry Greening) (11/02/84)

[gobble gobble munch munch]

        I have recently bought a set of GE size  'D' rechargeable
batteries  and  have had to recharge them twice in the past month
and a half.  When I first bought them, I charged  them  up,  used
them  in  my  flashlight for probably less than an hour, and they
died.  I figured that it was because they were new so I recharged
them.   I  then "tested" them a few times over the next few weeks
and they seemed to be doing good.  Last night, I left the  flash-
light  out in the cold for a few hours and when I went to use it,
the batteries were just about dead.  I wonder  if  the  cold  has
this effect on the batteries or do Ni-cad batteries die this fast
anyways.  By the way, I also have a set of 'AA' batteries by  Ra-
dio  Shack  which  I  am not totally satisfied with.  A friend of
mine says that she has to recharge her GE 'AA'  batteries,  which
she uses in her walkman, every night.
--

Terry Greening
{akgua, allegra, dalcs!dreacad, ihnp4, utcsrgv}!garfield!tag

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (henning) (11/06/84)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh

The GE nicad D-cells contain a nicad C-cell, at least the last time I checked.
You can tell by picking the up, the C and D cells weigh the same.  Nicads are
not too swift when they get cold.  Also they have a memory effect.  If you
only discharge them 10% before you charge them several times, they will only
hold about 10% charge.  By the way, a nicad D-cell should be a 4 ampere battery.
If treated properly, nicads only last about 3 years typically.  If after using
nicads several months and you notice that they do not hold a full charge,
they have developed a memory for the use and recharge cycle.  You can recover
the nicads by leaving the appliance on for about 12 hours to get a deep
discharge.  Charge the batteries for 24 hours.  You should do a deep drain
and recharge every 3 months.

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (11/06/84)

There are differences among brands of NiCd batteries,
for instance:

	-The Radio Shack AA NiCd batteries are marked as having
	 a capacity of 450 milliampere-hours.

	-The GE AA NiCd batteries are marked as having
	 a capacity of 500 milliampere-hours.

Also, some brands cannot be fast charged, due to the inability
of the cell structure to withstand the high temperatures and
pressures developed during fast charge.

Although they have 10% less capacity, the Radio Shack batteries
are usually a few dollars cheaper.

I've used both with good success (although Radio Shack once
had a bad batch of AA NiCd's).
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (11/06/84)

More info on nicads:
Real "D" cell nicads are made, and can be found at large electronic
distributors.  They cost a lot though, and require a different charger,
since a charger that puts out an appropriate charge rate for C cells
will not fully charge a real D cell.

Nicad batteries are used in some business jets as the main battery.
They put out more current than a lead-acid battery, which translates
into a faster rate of acceleration of the turbine when starting a
jet engine, which results in less wear to the engine.  In this
use, the "memory" effect is well known, and after the battery has been
used for a certain number of engine starts it is serviced.  It is
fully discharged to see how much power it can still deliver; if that
is less than some high percentage of the original output, it is
recharged and discharged again to see if its capacity has improved.
When it can't be rejuvenated, it will be replaced.

One potential problem with discharging by leaving a battery-powered
appliance on for a long time:  If some cells hold a bit more charge
than others (due to production non-uniformities or age) then when
you do this, one cell will reach zero output first, and then start
reverse-charging as the other cells continue forcing current
through it.  This is a good way of developing a short in the cell.
You probably want to discharge the cells to the point where output
drops drastically - the cells are almost discharged at that point.

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (11/09/84)

> [gobble gobble munch munch]
>
>         I have recently bought a set of GE size  'D' rechargeable
> batteries  and  have had to recharge them twice in the past month
> and a half.  When I first bought them, I charged  them  up,  used

  I just bought a 9 volt nicad battery and found out that 9 volt
nicads really only produce 7.2 volts.  Thats fine for my application,
but are there some common appliances which won't work with 7.2 volt
nicads, but will work with regular 9 volt transistor batteries.

--
Bruce Karsh                                        ---------------------------
Univ. Wisconsin Dept. of Geology and Geophysics    |                         |

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/09/84)

> A friend of
> mine says that she has to recharge her GE 'AA'  batteries,  which
> she uses in her walkman, every night.
Portable tape recorders consume the batteries.  Regular carbon batteries
last for about 3 runs of a C-90 tape.  Nicads are not likely to be as
good.

-Ron

>>         I have recently bought a set of GE size  'D' rechargeable
>> batteries  and  have had to recharge them twice in the past month
>> and a half.  When I first bought them, I charged  them  up,  used

>  I just bought a 9 volt nicad battery and found out that 9 volt
>nicads really only produce 7.2 volts.  Thats fine for my application,
>but are there some common appliances which won't work with 7.2 volt
>nicads, but will work with regular 9 volt transistor batteries.

It's obvious that the battery manufacturers just can't bring themselves
to produce a product that would effectively obsolete their disposable
battery products.  I remember some battery packs in some of the Tektronix
scopes that seemed to last for years.  Thinking that rechargables
were practical because of this, I bought some Eveready rechargeables,
AA, C, D, and 9 volt.  The 9 volt is of course only 7.2 and won't work
in some applications.  I found that these batteries would recharge about
5 or 6 times before they wouldn't hold a charge.   On the other hand, a
friend of mine found some 9 volt type batteries some time ago that were
made in Europe somewhere, that were actually 9.6 volts (or thereabouts)
and held a charge much better then the Evereadys.  I tried G.E's and
Radio Shack (ugh!) out of desperation, but still found no success.  My
old T.I. calculator batteries hold up better than these.  I've since
resorted to building power supplies for many of my battery operated
gizmos ( particularly musical instrument black boxes ), as I don't
like to patronize these battery manufacturers.

I've also heard that light bulbs that last forever can be made, but you
can't buy them, because G.E. (etc.) would lose money.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg "Bucket" Woods) (11/15/84)

> A friend of
> mine says that she has to recharge her GE 'AA'  batteries,  which
> she uses in her walkman, every night.

  That's funny. I have an AIWA (competing brand, same product) and I cannot
use the GE NiCad batteries in mine because they are the WRONG VOLTAGE!!!
People should be aware that the NiCad batteries will not work in any appliance
that depends on the voltage being correct.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!stcvax | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!stcvax}
       		        !hao!woods

     "...once in a while you can get shown the light
         in the strangest of places if you look at it right..."

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (11/16/84)

---------
[]

About 5 years ago I bought some AA nicads for a Vivitar flash unit.  They
are still in the flash, although they now discharge themselves within a
few days even when not used.  For the first 3 years they performed
superbly, requiring recharging only every month or two or after some
large (> 100) number of flashes.  Does anyone else have an experience like this,
or has the quality gone way down?

--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

>So stop assuming bad karma from the battery makers until you understand
>the technicals.  I suppose they could stick in 7 cells ( 7 x 1.2 = 8.4 )
>but that's hard to do in two stacks.  (There would have to be an odd cell
>somewhere.  Sometime pry apart a dead 9-volter to see what I mean...)
>If they went to 8 cells ( 8 x 1.2 = 9.6 ) the OVERvoltage might burn out
>something...

I have no particular problem with the different VOLTAGE output of
ni-cads, 9.6 volts (or even 8.4) is FINE as far as I'm concerned.
Even 7.2 is better than nothing.

I'm talking about the apparent (note: apparent) SHORT recharge life
of average consumer ni-cads (I've experienced about a half dozen recharges
and then they no longer hold a charge).  I say apparent because I've yet to
try the 10 ohm discharge trick.  (But I will!  I promise!)

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
"You'll PAY to know what you REALLY think!"

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (11/27/84)

There is only so much volume available in a 9 volt battery standard package.
If they put the extra cell in the 9 volt ni-cad, the current rating would
probably drop to an un-acceptable level.  Seeing as how most carbon-zinc,
and even alkaline, cells have voltage curves that are smooth slopes and that
they are at their rated voltage only when fairly fresh, I think that the
20% lower voltage is a very good compromise, especially when you consider
that a ni-cad retains a discharge voltage very close to its rated voltage up
to right before it goes belly-up.

As a side note, I've noticed that ni-cads in motorized devices (i.e. cassette
players) tend to have a much shorter life per charge than non motorized
devices.  Someone once told me that DC motors that pulse the load do something
funny to ni-cads but I really don't know.  I got a book about an inch thick
on ni-cads, I guess I'll have to break down and read it.

mikey at trsvax

palisano@sunybcs.UUCP (Tom Palisano) (11/28/84)

> >>         I have recently bought a set of GE size  'D' rechargeable
> >> batteries  and  have had to recharge them twice in the past month
> >> and a half.  When I first bought them, I charged  them  up,  used
>
> >  I just bought a 9 volt nicad battery and found out that 9 volt
> >nicads really only produce 7.2 volts.  Thats fine for my application,
> >but are there some common appliances which won't work with 7.2 volt
> >nicads, but will work with regular 9 volt transistor batteries.
>
> It's obvious that the battery manufacturers just can't bring themselves
> to produce a product that would effectively obsolete their disposable
> battery products.  I remember some battery packs in some of the Tektronix
> scopes that seemed to last for years.

		The problem with NiCads is that by nature they only
produce ~1.25 volts/cell as opposed to carbon cells @ 1.5 V/cell.
NiCads also tend to have 'memory' with regard to how they were/are used.
A battery that is recharged before it is fully exhausted will remember this
and give limited service once charged. In addition NiCads are not ment
to be used in a parallel combination due to their low internal resistance.
		These factors lead to problems when batteries of this type
are used as replacements for standard non-rechargeable cells.
		Perhaps a better solution would be to use Lead-Acid
cells that produce about 1.7-2.0 V/cell and have none of the quirks that
a NiCad exhibits.

				Tom Palisano

--									    --
Tom Palisano       uucp:[bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath]!sunybcs!palisano
csnet:palisano@buffalo
arpanet:palisano.buffalo@csnet-relay
--									    --

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/03/84)

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why no one yet on this discussion (I believe)
has mentioned that ordinary cheap carbon-zinc batteries can be recharged
to a usable state for at least several times. I do it all the time, but I
admit I have no idea how much electricity I'm using in my aged and decrepit
recharger, so the economics might not be cost-effective. The convenience
of not having to buy the batteries so often is worthwhile, though.

I also recharge alkalines the same way. So far none have leaked or
otherwise misbehaved as a result. The only leaky batteries I've had
recently are freebie Radio Shack 9-volts in my TV remote control and
an AA cell in an unopened package of Eveready "Energizers". (I mailed the
latter back to Eveready, and the cheapskates replaced them but didn't
repay my postage by providing more than I sent back or sending me a
check or stamps. Hmph!)

Anyway, if your nicads are giving you few recharges, try using ordinary
batteries and recharging them the same few times. Would be cheaper!

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (12/06/84)

In article <6304@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>I also recharge alkalines the same way. So far none have leaked or
>otherwise misbehaved as a result.

Don't try it!  Alkalines explode readily when "charged" -- even a couple of
mils for a couple of hours will do it if the battery is willing.
--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (12/07/84)

In article <269@bragvax.UUCP> david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) writes:
>In article <6304@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>>I also recharge alkalines the same way...
>Don't try it!  Alkalines explode readily when "charged"...

I've heard this before, in fact, it is printed on most non-rechargable
batteries.  Its never happened to me, either.  Couldn't be much of an
"explosion", anyway, as far as I'm concerned.  I have to admit that I do
put the batteries in the charger and get several feet away before
plugging it into the wall, and I don't have any flammables near the
charger at any time.  But I think that's just the battery companies
covering their tails, for that one-in-a-million alkaline that will
explode.  Obviously, they sometimes do, or they wouldn't have the warning.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,nsc,intelca,proper}!qantel!stv

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (12/08/84)

In article <323@qantel.UUCP> stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) writes:
>In article <269@bragvax.UUCP> david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) writes:
>>Don't try it!  Alkalines explode readily when "charged"...
>
>I've heard this before, in fact, it is printed on most non-rechargable
>batteries.  Its never happened to me, either.  Couldn't be much of an
>"explosion", anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I should have said that I've blown up a couple of 9v alkalines.
It makes a mess -- not as violent as a typical TV-set electrolytic
capacitor explosion, but still unpleasant.  Also, there's no point in
risking it since non-rechargeable alkalines won't "recharge" at all.
They may seem stronger after "charging", but a rest period would have
the same effect.
--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (12/22/84)

When people refer to charging standard cells, they are just breaking
up the internal gas bubbles to lower the cells internal resistance,
they are not recharging anything.  This works to a small extent on
cheap carbon zinc cells but can be disasterous on alkaline cells.
The cheaper the battery, the better the "charging" usually works.

mikey at trsvax