[net.consumers] Eyeglass frames--why so expensive?

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (01/30/85)

I've been looking for new frames for eyeglasses.  They seem to be
incredibly expensive for what's involved.  What's going on?  Is this is a
categorical ripoff or does it just involve some exotic processes that I
don't understand?

Metal frames are made from a number of pieces of metal with a few welds or
solder joints, then plated, coated, or painted with a durable paint.  The
amount of metal involved is small (a fraction of an ounce) and it's not a
precious metal.  The plating/coating processes are conventional and not
expensive.  There is no extreme precision required other than tapping
for small screws, which are a standard size (00-90).  The number of parts
is small--invariably under 20 and often under 10.  The number of joints is
also small--again, << 20.  Yet the price (neglecting sales) is $50-100.  If
you want a frame made of something out of the ordinary, maybe >$200 is
believable for titanium, but >$150 for good ol' stainless steel seems
awfully high.

Economics:  There are at least a dozen major frame manufacturers.  There
are lots of shops--a dozen or more in this town (1e5 population).  In other
words, competition abounds.  LOTS of people wear glasses; quantities have
to be high even with many styles and sizes.

For the price of an average pair of frames, I could buy a good
microprocessor, a quality router, more than two cases of good beer (:-), or
various other things which seem to me to take a lot more time and material
to make and have comparable or lesser economies of scale.

What am I missing?  Why do they cost so much?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Never offend with style when you can offend with substance.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/31/85)

> I've been looking for new frames for eyeglasses.  They seem to be
> incredibly expensive for what's involved.  What's going on?  Is this is a
> categorical ripoff or does it just involve some exotic processes that I
> don't understand?

"Fashion".  Eyeglass frames change every year or so, and you're paying
to be fashionable.  And you can't get lenses to fit an old frame, nor a
frame to hold old lenses.

I gave all that up when I switched to contacts 8 years ago, and I've
never regretted it.  I see better with contacts and they're cheaper too.
Plus, I'll add my voice to those who claim that hard contacts stopped
the continual deterioration of their vision.

I'm not looking forward to the time when presbyopia sets in and I need
reading glasses!
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (02/01/85)

> I've been looking for new frames for eyeglasses.  They seem to be
> incredibly expensive for what's involved.  What's going on?  Is this is a
> categorical ripoff or does it just involve some exotic processes that I
> don't understand?

I've seen a few places advertise free frames.  Of course, those are a few
years old and some of the designer styles weren't all that popular.  If you
want to keep up with fashions in anything, you have to pay the salespeople
who hype it.

> For the price of an average pair of frames, I could buy a good
> microprocessor ...

That's because people like us get paid peanuts, by comparison to salespeople
who hype worthless things.

-- Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

pam@cepu.UUCP (Pam McGarvey ) (02/04/85)

In article <1068@opus.UUCP> rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
>I've been looking for new frames for eyeglasses.  They seem to be
>incredibly expensive for what's involved.  What's going on?  Is this is a
>categorical ripoff or does it just involve some exotic processes that I
>don't understand?
>
>For the price of an average pair of frames, I could buy a good
>microprocessor, a quality router, more than two cases of good beer (:-), or
>various other things which seem to me to take a lot more time and material
>to make and have comparable or lesser economies of scale.
>
>What am I missing?  Why do they cost so much?

Having just completed my MBA thesis on the wholesale eyewear industry, the
following may answer your questions.

Because contact lenses are perceived by the public as more attractive than
glasses and because their price has dropped dramatically in the last 10-15
years, frames have begun to be promoted more as fashion accessories than
as health aids.  This has given rise to "designer" lines (Christian Dior,
Gucci, Sophia Loren) which carry a much higher profit margin for each
segment of the distribution chain (manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer)
than do standard frames.  As an example, Gucci frames cost about $10 to
manufacture, are wholesaled for ~$40 and retail at ~$140.
Therefore, the retailers push the higher
cost designer frames.  However, each carries lower-cost lines which are
sold primarily for Medicare patients  and are priced ~$15-$25 retail to
meet the maximum Medicare-allowable charge.  If you have bought the
industry line that glasses are fashionable, rather than just functional,
then you will probably go for designer lines or Italian styling, both
significantly higher cost lines than frames made in Korea, Hong Kong, or
Taiwan.  US made frames carry the highest manufacturing costs, then
European (primarily Italy), then Far East -- all a factor of labor costs.
If you are looking for low-cost, functional, minimal style quality
frames, go to a large chain-outlet such as Pearle Vision Centers (the
largest U.S. chain).  Chain operations usually sell  all frames cheaper
than independent outlets because they buy in bulk at substantial discounts.
For the cheapest of the cheap, ask for Medicare-priced lines from a Far Eastern
manufacturer.  Selection
will be minimal but the frames will hold your lenses as well as
Sophia Loren's "personally" designed frames.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/04/85)

[]
Last summer I bought a new set of glasses for the first time in 11
years. I told the folks I wanted exactly the same frames as before
and the fellow looked at his card (with my history on it) and said,
"Why, yes, we have exactly the same frame you bought before, as you
can see, here its ...er...um...iden...ti..cal."  The hesitation at
the end was caused by both of us noting the fact that the frames
were indeed identical except the new ones cost FIVE TIMES as much
as the old. I bought them anyhow (what choice do we not-able-to-
wear-contacts users have), but I'm still wearing the originals too.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (02/04/85)

> Last summer I bought a new set of glasses for the first time in 11
> years.  The frames ... cost FIVE TIMES as much as the old.
> -- Dick Grantges

That's not much more than the last 11 years' worth of inflation.  The
increase in real terms is around 25% or so (still maybe unjustified).