[net.consumers] Want info on smart house thermostats

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (01/30/85)

Well, I smashed into my furnace/AC thermostat one too many times, and now I
have to be ridiculously careful when adjusting it to keep it from coming
off in my hand.  So I am considering some sort of smart thermostat to
replace it.  I know next to nothing about them, except that they seem to
come in a wide range of prices.  I seem to remember reading about one a
year or two ago that would actually "learn" about your house -- you would
program it to have the house warm by 7 a.m., and it would figure out how
early to turn on the furnace in order to achieve this.  Does anybody know
about this?

	Specific recommendations and/or general advice are solicited.  Mail
them to me; I will sumarize to the net if response warrents.

Cheers,
Topher Eliot
Cyb Systems, Austin, TX
{gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Liz Sommers) (01/31/85)

> Well, I smashed into my furnace/AC thermostat one too many times, and now I
> have to be ridiculously careful when adjusting it to keep it from coming
> off in my hand.  So I am considering some sort of smart thermostat to
> replace it.  I know next to nothing about them, except that they seem to
> come in a wide range of prices.  I seem to remember reading about one a
> year or two ago that would actually "learn" about your house -- you would
> program it to have the house warm by 7 a.m., and it would figure out how
> early to turn on the furnace in order to achieve this.  Does anybody know
> about this?

We have onethat cost about 50 dollars at Kmart, an "Energy Saver Thermo"
according to what is on the wall.  I am about ready to take a hammer to
the micro-processor.  This thing is just too stupid.  You have to reprogram
the entire day in order to get ten warm minutes for your shower.

I hate them.  I am not saving on heat because I just keep it at one
comfortable temperature now in order to not have to program the mother.

liz

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (01/31/85)

I went for something less than a "smart" thermostat --
I use a set-back control called the Autostat, made by
First Alert (the people that gave Cannon a new lease on
life).  It's simplistic in its approach -- you can change
temperatures 4 times a day Monday-Friday, twice each on
Saturday and Sunday.  Since I'm not home during most of
the day, it does a good enough job for my needs.

The Autostat is basically a timer with a motorized drive
that moves your temperature control back and forth -- so
there's no wiring into the thermostat. (you get used to
the noise pretty quickly, and since it only happens 2-4
times a day, it's a moot point). I set it to warm up the
apartment about 15 minutes before I get up (68 degrees)
and then to set the temperature back just before I leave
for work (60 degrees).  It brings the temperature up
again just before I get home from work, and brings it
back down around 11 p.m.  Like I said, simplistic -- but
it did drop my heating bills about 20% these last couple
of months.

I'm sure there are some smarter thermostat controls
around, but for the price ($35), it's not a bad compromise.
It's already paid for itself.

B.K.Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

mstach@ihu1m.UUCP (Dan Hoelker) (01/31/85)

I did quite a bit of checking before I bought a 'smart' thermostat.
As stated before the prices vary quite a bit.

The main features you probably want to look for are:
	1. Number of times per day you can change temperature.
	2. If there are separate settings for weekday and weekend.
	3. What kind of battery it uses for backup.
	4. Ease of programming (User friendliness).
	5. Manual override.

I wound up getting a Sears thermostat.  It is their best one.  The list
price is 99.95, but they frequently put it on sale for $69.95.  It is
very easy to program (just enter the time and the temp).  It has a door
that hides the membrane 'keyboard', and all instructions needed for
programming are printed on the door.  It has separate
settings for weekday and weekend (actually 2 day and 5 day groups, not
restricted to Sat and Sun.), which is ideal for us.  You can change
the temp. 4 times a day, e.g. 2 up and 2 down.  If you want to
manually change the temperature you can change it any way you want, then at
the next time the program would change the temp. it changes.  It also has
a hold feature, so you can set the temp. and it will stay there until
you hit 'run program' (HOLD is printed on the display so you can tell).
It uses a 9 volt battery for backup, and defaults to 68 if set for heating
and 78 if set for AC if the battery should go out.  It was very easy to
install.  The only feature that is slightly annoying is that the LCD display
alternates between the current time and current temp about every 2 seconds.
I almost wish they displayed both simultaneously (the temp setting is
displayed continuously).

One feature that the Honeywell has that the Sears doesn't is that you can
set many times to change temp during the day.  For some people this
might be nice.  One problem I heard about the Honeywell (don't know
if it is still true) is that it has a special battery that you have
to send it back to the factory to be replaced.  It also does not have
the separate weekend and weekday settings.

			Dan Hoelker
			ihnp4!ihu1m!mstach

stewart@ihldt.UUCP (R. J. Stewart) (02/01/85)

I would like to second the opinion of the previous article recommending
the top-of-the-line Sear's thermostat.  It's very reliable and very
user-friendly.

Bob Stewart
ihldt!stewart

mrl@drutx.UUCP (LongoMR) (02/03/85)

I have something called a "Magic-Stat" thermostat which allows
up to 6 setting a day. Each day of the week can be set to
different times. The model I have requires that you set it
in real time, i.e. you throw a switch to the "learn" position and'
proceed to use the thermostat for up to 7 days, changing it up to
6 times/day. The first 24 hour period that is programmed into it will
be placed into each day's cycle. Therefore, if I program the
thermostat during a 24 hour period, it will repeat the cycle every
day. If on a Saturday, or Sunday (or both) I change the cycle by
changing the temperature while in the "learn" mods, the thermostat
remembers that setting for the particular day of the week. In other
words, you can have up to 42 different settings/week. If you change the
setting manually when not in the learn mode, the cycle will
pick up at the next scheduled temp. change.
The thermostat defaults to 68 degrees when in the heat mode and 78
when in a/c mode (power failure with a dead battery, start-up or
programming more than 6 setbacks/day)

The nice thing about this, tho, is that the thermostat senses the
temperature of the room and adjusts its cycle time to have the house
at a certain temperature at a certain time. Therefore, if it's cold
one morning, the heat will kick on earlier than if it is warmer.

There is a new model of the thermostat which includes a clock and
intelligent programming capabilities. It also stores two different
cycles for summer and winter so you don't have to reset when you
switch from heat to a/c. I got mine from JS&A ($79), but I
have seen the newer models in the sharper image catalog (I think)
for about $89. I have used the thermostat in two different houses
for the past two heating systems (no, not at the same time.. I moved)
and , aside from replacing a 9V battery after 1 year, have had
absolutely no trouble with it.

BTW, it appears that our heating bill was reduced by about 30% as
compared to using a manual thermostat. I had gas/forced-ar in both homes.
		M. Longo     AT&T Denver

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (02/03/85)

I wonder how much your type of furnace affects the savings from
these smart thermostats?  We have a heat pump, and our manual
says that the most efficient thing to do is to leave the setting
in one place; that the cost to heat the house back up will be
more than the cost to maintain it at one temperature.  I'm
willing to bet that electric heat strips will be helped by a
smart thermostat, perhaps also gas.  But heat pumps like equilibrium.

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/07/85)

Mark Horton writes:

> I wonder how much your type of furnace affects the savings from
> these smart thermostats?  We have a heat pump, and our manual
> says that the most efficient thing to do is to leave the setting
> in one place; that the cost to heat the house back up will be
> more than the cost to maintain it at one temperature.  I'm
> willing to bet that electric heat strips will be helped by a
> smart thermostat, perhaps also gas.  But heat pumps like equilibrium.

I do not understand. I'll not flame and call you names for saying
this but I can not understand why it should be so. Do you believe
it only because the manual says it is true? Or, can you explain it
to one so ignorant as me?

Mike @ AMDCAD

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Loda) (02/07/85)

I own a Honeywell T8200A thermostat.  I selected this model for two reasons:

   1 - I felt Honeywell was a reliable brand, plus a friend owns one and
       likes it a great deal.

   2 - It had the features I wanted.

Some features that it has:  Dual setbacks (ie, a "night" setting and an optional
"work" setting).  A setback lowers(heat) or raises(cool) the set temperature
while sleeping or at work.  It then resets it when you are around.  For
example, my settings (heating) call for the thermostat to go to 58F at 23:30,
68F at 06:00 (1 setback), 58F at 07:30 and 68F at 16:30 (2 setback).  A
weekend switch (sometimes called a 5/7 day switch) disables setback 2
for any two days (usually Sat and Sun).  This model also has a digital clock.
The T8200 tends to be on the expensive side (arround $100); you can
probably find something similar cheaper.

I have no figures on energy savings since I installed this thermostat
right after we moved in.

If you have a heat pump, be careful.  From my readings, some heat pumps
should not be used with an energy-conserving thermostat.

Personal note:  The "I learn the comfort program" types of thermostats
kind of scare me for some (irrational) reason.  Probably something to
do with lack of control.

Joe Loda
Analysts International Corp (Chicago Branch)
..!ihnp4!aicchi!joeloda
--
Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)