[net.consumers] FYI: 800-number of discount-travel-outfit

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (01/22/85)

[ from a latenight TV-ad: however I do not know the company myself - Werner ]

DTI, which I believe to stand for Discount Travel something-or-other, is a
company which sells underbooked plane and cruise-tickets, advertised their
800-number to request more (and free) information on how to save up to
70% of travelling costs

	1-800-251-4900

friends of mine have taken amazingly cheap trips with such outfits.

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (01/24/85)

In article <1234@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>[ from a latenight TV-ad: however I do not know the company myself - Werner ]
>
>DTI, which I believe to stand for Discount Travel something-or-other, is a
>company which sells underbooked plane and cruise-tickets, advertised their
>800-number to request more (and free) information on how to save up to
>70% of travelling costs
>
>	1-800-251-4900
>
>friends of mine have taken amazingly cheap trips with such outfits.

   I would be very leary of any outfit which promises discount fares on
domestic travel. The airlines do not permit it. It is inconceivable to me
that an airline would give its inventory close to departure to sell at below
market prices (and below its own airport price also).  I suspect that like
most other outfits this one will be glad to sell you a supersaver instead of
a full-price fare and then tell you how it is doing something that nobody
else can do.  International travel especially to the Far East is a much
different story. The airlines in those areas wheel and deal very heavily in
the ethnic markets. HOWEVER, great care must be used for many of the people
who sell in this area are neither licensed or bonded. Some have disappeared
with great quantities of consumers' money.

   As for discount cruises there are a few outfits that do that legitimately
(Spur of the Moment Cruises in Culver City, Cal is one of them) but my
experience is that the only ones they ever have available are either very
low quality cruise lines or cruises which require a heavy air expenditure
such as a round trip to either the Far East or Europe. Most cruise lines
subsidize the air and also use special very cheap airfares which only may be
bought by a cruise line. These outfits typically do not include the air so
unless you live in either Miami or Los Angeles and find a quality cruise
which does a round trip to that city you may pay more in the long run.

		Bob Shapiro

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (S. M. Henning,) (01/28/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh

>    I would be very leary of any outfit which promises discount fares on
> domestic travel. The airlines do not permit it. It is inconceivable ...

My inlaws got tickets like these for round trip from Portland, Oregon to
JFK.  It worked out great for them.  You see it was a charter flight which
had some space left over.  Most of the passengers were gays going to NYC
for the holidays.

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (02/05/85)

In article <1234@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>[ from a latenight TV-ad: however I do not know the company myself - Werner ]
>
>DTI, which I believe to stand for Discount Travel something-or-other, is a
>company which sells underbooked plane and cruise-tickets, advertised their
>800-number to request more (and free) information on how to save up to
>70% of travelling costs
>
>	1-800-251-4900
>
>friends of mine have taken amazingly cheap trips with such outfits.

   Just for laughs I called that number. They would tell me nothing but said
if I gave them my address they would mail me info. I did and it just came.

   The packet consisted of a form letter telling how great they were and how
they could save you money if you could travel on 6 weeks' notice or less.
They never mention a single operator but claim they can get you air, tours,
and cruises at large discounts.  There are some examples of savings but in
only one case was it air only. This was between Boston and Athens.

   There are a lot of companies such as Spur of the Moment Cruises who sell
last minute space on tours, cruises, and charters. It has been my experience
that the better cruises and tour companies do not deal with these outfits so
what you get is a bad vacation at a discount price.  As I own a travel agency,
I have had the opportunity to call these discounters (they deal with agents
also and even pay us commissions) when a client has requested.  So far my
batting average is zero for getting results.  Either nothing was available
when they wanted to go or the quality was horrible.

   What I haven't mentioned so far is that there is a $40 membership fee for
joining. They do claim that they will give you back $25 if you join before
25 Feb 1985 as a discount on your first booking. They also claim that if you
don't at least double your $40 membership fee every time they will give you
a free trip to Paris for 2. This is no big deal as they are giving large
discounts off of expensive trips.

   So what we have here is a club which sells a nebulous product at a discount
and a $40 annual fee. First you pay the $40 and then they tell you what they
have to sell.  I guess it is like anthing else. You get what you pay for.

			Bob Shapiro

   PS By the way occassionally some of the quality cruises and tour companies
have discounts for last minute bookings.  NCL cruises was doing it for a while
but the discount did not include air and you did not get to pick which of
their ships you went on. Only the date and inside or outside room.  These
discounts usually came with no air package so unless you worked for the
airlines or lived close to Miami the air cost would almost kill the whole
discount.  Also some cruise lines such as Carnival will give large discounts
if you are willing to accept 4 to a room and have them choose your three other
roomates.  Almost all cruise lines and tour companies give discounts for the
3rd or 4th person in a room. (sometimes even free)  All of these discounts
are available through standard booking procedures such as a travel agent or
directly with the wholesaler.

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (02/07/85)

Only Boston to Athens?  Caveat emptor!  Last year a major travel scandal
took place:  a tour agency for Boston-Athens trips stranded thousands in
Europe.  The operator, a Connecticut businessman, was either prosecuted
or skipped town.