[net.consumers] New car shopping

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (01/31/85)

>                                                            Mazda
> and Subaru aren't that stylish, and have inferior reliability also.
>
> Mike Gray, BTL, WH

*** The piston engine goes boeing...boeing...boeing ***

   I can't say about Subarus but as far as Mazda is concerned I think
you're nuts.  I've owned two ROTARY Mazdas, an Rx-4 and an Rx-7, which
have given me far less problems than any other car I've owned (two
American, one Japanese, one German).  And that includes any problems
with the engine, granted that the early Rx-2 and Rx-3 had an engine
reliability problem I know of no Rx-7 owner who has had that problem.  If
the Rx-7 or the 626 isn't stylish I'd hate to see your opinion of style.
   I know several people who have PISTON mazdas including my father who
has a GLC and a late model 626, both of which he is extreamly pleased
with.  I asked around here at work where I found three 626 owners and one
GLC owner, all of whom were generaly pleased with their cars and would
recommend the model to someone interested in it.  So there!

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Christopher Salander) (01/31/85)

> Comments?    --J. Abeles.

   Yes!!  I went through the same process you described!

   I am 6'4" and cannot tolerate driving is a seat that is
   tilted too much.  As a result, I found that I cannot fit
   in:

   1) ALL Japanese cars ( the Mazda 626 came close, though).
   2) ALL French and Italian cars.
   3) ALL British cars except the Jaguars.
   4) ALL German cars except the largest Mercedes.
   5) ALL American cars that are "compact", "subcompact", or
      "sporty".

   The April issue of Consumer Reports is an excellent reference
  for buying a car.  I found all its numbers to be close to what
  I discovered for myself.  Use their size table to figure out
  if you can fit in a car.  It saves visiting all those car lots.

  Also, I will not fit in a Volvo if it has a a sun roof.

  My father has either fixed cars, sold cars, or registered
  cars for about 40 years now.  He says, given any amount of
  money, he would buy the 12 cylinder Jaguar as "the best car
  made today".  Given an engineer's income, he recommends a
  Volvo.  (Everyone I know who has a Volvo has had no problems,
  but this is California).

  Since I presently have the same car the police use (an V8
  Plymouth), I also want POWER.  Since I cannot afford a Jag.,
  and the Volvo is under-powered, I have decided that my preference
  would be for a Ford Thunderbird.

  The Thunderbird -
  1. It has the room
  2. It has the power (V6 or V8)
  3. Good mileage (not great)
  4. Very reliable, compared to other U.S. cars

   The Cougar is suppose to be even more reliable, but it has
 a lot of fancy extras that I don't want to pay for, and the
 designer is uglier.

   Why not Chrysler?  -  Almost all their cars have no power,
                         except the ones that are too small for
                         me.  The one V8 model left gets 12 MPG,
                         and is very unreliable.

   Why not GM? -  Most of the cars are too plain, and are more
                  unreliable than other U.S. cars.  A Buick might
                  be a possibility, but think of all the
                  cruisin' music that you can play that's been
                  written about T-birds!!

brahms@spp2.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (02/02/85)

>  Since I presently have the same car the police use (an V8
>  Plymouth), I also want POWER.  Since I cannot afford a Jag.,
>  and the Volvo is under-powered, I have decided that my preference
>  would be for a Ford Thunderbird.
>
>  The Thunderbird -
>  1. It has the room
>  2. It has the power (V6 or V8)
>  3. Good mileage (not great)
>  4. Very reliable, compared to other U.S. cars

One of my friends manages a rent-a-car agency.  Of all the cars that they
have, he has had the most trouble with Fords.  At one point, they had just
gotten 8 new T-birds ('84 model year).  Well, within a couple of weeks,
they all had troubles.

I did drive one of the T-birds for a week (my car was in the shop).  I did
like the ride, the room (I'm 6'5") and the "niceties".  However, I would
have second thoughts about getting a Ford.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

P.S.	Of the american cars, he has had the best luck with GM cars.

luria@ucbvax.ARPA (Marc Luria) (02/03/85)

In article <363@leadsv.UUCP> chris@leadsv.UUCP (Christopher Salander) writes:
>   Yes!!  I went through the same process you described!
>
>   I am 6'4" and cannot tolerate driving is a seat that is
>   tilted too much.  As a result, I found that I cannot fit
>   in:
>
>   1) ALL Japanese cars ( the Mazda 626 came close, though).
>   2) ALL French and Italian cars.
>   3) ALL British cars except the Jaguars.
>   4) ALL German cars except the largest Mercedes.
>   5) ALL American cars that are "compact", "subcompact", or
>      "sporty".

I also had to look for cars with leg and headroom.  I found that the car I
bought a Fiat Strada, had more room for me than any of the other cars I tried.
It is no longer sold new in this country but is popular in Europe, and
is available used.  It looks
like the Rabbit from the outside but there is much more headroom inside.

srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) (02/04/85)

I own a Nissan stanza and haven't had reliability problems  in the last
1 and a half years (during warranty I needed to have my gear shifting bushings
adjusted but that was covered by Nissan). Also I have two friends who
own the same car and are again happy with the car. The only thing
I don't like about the car is that I would have prefered a slightly harder
suspension.
--

		sanjay
		UUCP:	...!{ utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!srradia

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/05/85)

>    I am 6'4" and cannot tolerate driving is a seat that is
>    tilted too much.  As a result, I found that I cannot fit
>    in:
>
>    1) ALL Japanese cars ( the Mazda 626 came close, though).
>    2) ALL French and Italian cars.
>    3) ALL British cars except the Jaguars.
>    4) ALL German cars except the largest Mercedes.
>    5) ALL American cars that are "compact", "subcompact", or
>       "sporty".

    I find this interesting. You must have a relatively long upper body and
shorter legs than I. I am 6'5" tall, and I am quite comfortable in my Tercel.
I also sat in (and fit in) a Dodge Omni, a Nissan Stanza, a Honda Accord and
Ford Escort. I also used to own an Audi 100LS which I fit in quite nicely.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

     "...sometimes the light's all shining on me;
	 other times I can barely see..."

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (02/05/85)

    Has anyone heard anything about the new Subaru
 2-door hardtop?  It's supposed to be a totally new
 car.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience
 driving one and if it is worth considering to buy.
 I am also considering the Honda Civics both the S
 and DX versions.  So if anyone has any comments both
 positive or negative, please forward them to me.
 Thanks, as always, in advance.

                              Clare Chu

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (02/12/85)

In article <363@leadsv.UUCP> chris@leadsv.UUCP (Christopher Salander) writes:
>   I am 6'4" and cannot tolerate driving is a seat that is
>   tilted too much.  As a result, I found that I cannot fit
>   in:
>
>   1) ALL Japanese cars ( the Mazda 626 came close, though).

I have a friend who is 6'8".  The ONLY car he fits comfortably
in is a Honda Civic.

	Mark