[net.consumers] Eyeglasses and Opticians

prophet@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs) (02/06/85)

<>

Pam McGarvey (pam@cepu.UUCP) writes:

>If you are looking for low-cost, functional, minimal style quality
>frames, go to a large chain-outlet such as Pearle Vision Centers (the
>largest U.S. chain).  Chain operations usually sell  all frames cheaper
>than independent outlets because they buy in bulk at substantial discounts.

My Dad just retired after being an optician (person who fills prescriptions,
and makes and sells eyeglasses) after 40 years in the business, 15 of  which
owning and operating his own optical store.

It is true that large chain outlets such as Pearle Vision Centers or Foreyes
sell SOME frames and lense combinations that are a few bucks cheaper than  a
private business such as what my father had.  However, there is a  lot  more
to consider than initial cost.  My Dad had new customers every day that were
quite fed up with the low-quality of service that chain operations give.

My Dad, and most private opticians will bend over backwards to please a cus-
tomer, both before and after the sale.  This includes free adjustments, even
for eyewear not bought at his store.  I know that many times, my  Dad  would
sacrifice profit just to make the customer happy.  You just don't  get  this
kind of service at a chain operation.

                         Dennis Gibbs

--
Call-Me:   Dennis Gibbs, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Center.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!prophet

davis@hplabs.UUCP (Jim Davis) (02/09/85)

> My Dad, and most private opticians will bend over backwards to please a cus-
> tomer, both before and after the sale.  This includes free adjustments, even
> for eyewear not bought at his store.  I know that many times, my  Dad  would
> sacrifice profit just to make the customer happy.  You just don't  get  this
> kind of service at a chain operation.
>                          Dennis Gibbs

I thought that I might put in another good word for opticians.
After I moved out west, I discovered that I was still quite
welcome at my optician's back in New York, even though I
"certainly" wasn't going to provide him with more sales.
He was more than willing to fix problems, adjust my frames,
and even just chit-chat.  Well, one day I needed new frames.
I went to several chain outlets here to try to get a new pair
of the frames.  Each said approximately: "they aren't made
anymore, why don't you try these".  I called my old optician
on Grand Island (I now live in California) and he said:
"No problem Jim, I'll put them in the mail tomorrow."  Later
when I was getting the lenses installed out here, I was told:
"Oh, we could have ordered them for you."  Louis Macro, now
he is a good optician!  I must point out that finding
such a gem is a matter of luck, I'm sure there are horror
stories that could be told.

--
----------------------------------
	Jim Davis (James W Davis)

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (02/22/85)

/**** ccvaxa:net.consumers / prophet@umcp-cs / 11:24 am  Feb  6, 1985 ****/
My Dad, and most private opticians will bend over backwards to please a cus-
tomer, both before and after the sale.  This includes free adjustments, even
for eyewear not bought at his store.  I know that many times, my  Dad  would
sacrifice profit just to make the customer happy.  You just don't  get  this
kind of service at a chain operation.

                         Dennis Gibbs

I disagree. When my frames got bent up after a collision with a volleyball,
I went into Pearle and they straightened them out at no charge. Also, when I
used to get glasses from the opthalmologist, it would take a couple of
weeks. Pearle has always given us same-day service.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazney, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat