[net.consumers] Looking for slide projector

disc@homxb.UUCP (Scott J. Berry) (02/25/85)

Hi there!

I'm beginning to look around at slide projectors (at long last),
and am seeking advice on which kind to buy.

The Kodak Carousel seems the most popular, and replacement "trays"
will surely be available indefinately.  However, the (Bell & Howell?)
slide cube system seems more economical from a storage point of view,
as well as being easier to load and handle.

Can anybody recommend either one over the other?  Is the slide delivery
system better for one than the other?  What about reliability
considerations?  Are prices competitive for comparably equipped models?

			Thanks in advance,

			Scott J. Berry
			...!homxb!disc

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/25/85)

[]
I suggest you do what I did when I was going thru the same agonizing.
Everyone knows how well the carousels work as everyone must have used
one someplace, sometime. So, don't listen to advice. Don't stop to
ask yourself why carousels dominate the market without an antitrust
proceedings. Just go out and borrow or rent a Bell and Howell. Take it
home and try to use it even one evening. While you're at it, be sure
to leave at least one cube partially filled. You won't believe the fun
things you will witness with your own eyes. Crank the lens elevation
up and down (yeah,why move the whole machine?) A really neat idea! Except
for one small detail which only seeing will reveal.
I think you, like me, will be unable to get rid of the B&H fast enough.
BTW. Carousel trays are way too low density and way too expensive for
permanent storage.  I should know, having at least umpteen cubic feet
of them.  However, there is a stack loader for the carousel that works
on "cube-sized" bundles of slides. It doesn't flip the slides around joyously
the way the B&H does, but it does share the limitation that you can't
back up. Anyhow, storage trays are available for bunches of slides that
are at least as dense as B&H cubes. You can show the slides directly on the
stack loader or drop them into carousel trays - not such an onerous task
as you might imagine, given that you might want a peek at them before you
show them.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/26/85)

In article <529@homxb.UUCP> disc@homxb.UUCP (Scott J. Berry) writes:
>The Kodak Carousel seems the most popular, and replacement "trays"
>will surely be available indefinately.  However, the (Bell & Howell?)
>slide cube system seems more economical from a storage point of view,
>as well as being easier to load and handle.
>
>			Scott J. Berry
>			...!homxb!disc

bell and howell no longer makes the slide cube system.  if you see any
around, it is old stock from some factory.  unless you are prepared to
invest a lot and buy literally hundred of cubes at the same time,
you are far better off to buy a kodak or some other slide system.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/27/85)

I second the discovery about the Hell and Bowel slide cubes, a friend
one had one.  I own an old GAF projector that uses SAWYERS trays.
Mostly because I can't afford a carousel.

The advantage of long term storage of you slides in things other than
Carousels is that you won't be tempted to get them out and show them
that way.  140 Slides is a lot.  I've got 1300 slides that I shot
while I was in high school (I did manage to travel a great deal).
The whole thing distills down to about 4 trays that is presentable.
Some of it isn't worth seeing, some of it is repetitious (I was shooting
animals).

-Ron