[net.consumers] Toyota Camry Ramblings

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/02/85)

In article <2140@drutx.UUCP> rkp@drutx.UUCP (Russ Pierce) writes:
>(Fujitsu), the price was about $11,900.00.  (It did not cost us
>$1,000.00 over list price.  One person on the net wrote that
>many Japanese cars are being marked up $1,000.00 at the dealer.)

Only $1000?  In Columbus, Datsuns, Toyotas, and Hondas are marked up
$2000-$3000 over list price.

Since we're in the market for one of these cars in the next few months,
I'm wondering if there's a significant variation from one part of the
country to another.  If you've shopped around for such cars recently,
please mail me a note telling me what the typical markup is (and give
a few example prices if you remember them.)  For example, our local
Datsun dealer was marking the Sentra wagon up by about $2000 from
$8500 to $10,500.  They had a used 1084 wagon, with only about 200
miles on it, but it needed body work and only half of the warantee
was left, and they were asking $10,000 for it (and were not flexible.)

I especially wonder if places like Detroit, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh
have lower markups, due to the prevailing "buy American" sentiment.

I am aware that prices may go down soon as the import quotas are lifted.
However, I have no idea how fast they will go down or whether it's
worthwhile to wait.

	Mark