[net.consumers] Amusing ad - and all-plastic cards

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/08/85)

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

> Re eternal playing cards:
>
> I bought some of those plastic cards many years ago. (I think the brand was
> "KEM" or "KEN" or the like.) They do last forever, but cost a lot. Since
> you can buy new decks of cards for 50 cents or so on coupon sales at
> drugstores, or for 10 cents or so at yard and garage sales, though, the
> durability may not really be worth the high cost. Also, these have now
> lasted 20 years because I don't use them. They are so slick that ...

Hey, I *like* all-plastic cards.  As you say, some people don't like the
feel, but this is a matter of personal preference.  For me, I want cards
I can shuffle any way I like without worrying about mashing the edges, and
and won't try to crease/dogear at the least handling.  (You're right, you
may do better for expense by buying cheap decks often, maybe.)

With all-plastic cards, the likely reason to replace a deck is that the ink
is wearing off!  With a good brand, the surface is textured and this
takes a *long* time.

"KEM" is one of the best brands there is.  The other one I like a lot is
Hoyle/Stancraft.  KEMs come with a guarantee for 500 rubbers (they know
who their market is!  Should this be cross-posted to net.rec.bridge?), and
for *five years* -- at least -- they will replace a damaged card from
the *original production run* (at your expense).

The cards in the ad I posted were certainly *not* KEMs, and what I found
so amusing was the all-plastic cards so poor they had only a 90-day warranty.

(But they said they'd last a lifetime anyway.  Hmmm -- maybe they meant these
cards feel horrible to use and after 90 days you'd put them away forever.)

Mark Brader

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/15/85)

> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>                                                                    Since
> you can buy new decks of cards for 50 cents or so on coupon sales at
> drugstores

Where?  We use two decks a week, and can't find quality paper cards
for less than about $1.25/deck.  (The group doesn't like the feel
of plastic cards, even though I like them, so we haven't gone
that route.)  If you can get good cards at that price, we'll take
200 decks!

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146