[net.consumers] Hiring underage kids

fmc@pyuxqq.UUCP (fmc) (03/20/85)

TO: cbosgd!cbsck!cbscc!rsg

>>	Subject: Re: washer/dryer/lawn mover info needed
>>	As far as lawn mowers go, I try to stimulate the economy by hiring a
>>	neighborhood professional (i.e. kid about 13 years old) to do it.
>>	...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...

I don't know about your state, but I've been told that in NJ, hiring
an under-age person to use power machinery can result in legal trouble
and costs that are NOT totally covered by your insurance.

jgpo@ihu1e.UUCP (John, KA9MNK) (03/22/85)

> TO: cbosgd!cbsck!cbscc!rsg
>
> >>	Subject: Re: washer/dryer/lawn mover info needed
> >>	As far as lawn mowers go, I try to stimulate the economy by hiring a
> >>	neighborhood professional (i.e. kid about 13 years old) to do it.
> >>	...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...
>
> I don't know about your state, but I've been told that in NJ, hiring
> an under-age person to use power machinery can result in legal trouble
> and costs that are NOT totally covered by your insurance.

Bob's not "hiring" the kid, per se, but, rather, buying a service provided
by the kid.  The kid is not Bob's employee, but is acting as a self-employed
independent contractor.  I don't think Bob has anything to worry about,
especially if the kid supplies the lawnmower him/herself.  If Bob supplies
the lawnmower, he could be held liable for any injuries caused by defects
in the machinery.

Mowing the neighbor's lawns is a time-honored way of raising money,
especially when you're too young to get a "real" job.

If Bob makes sure the kid's parents know about Junior's sideline business
and they have given their permission for the same, I don't see how they
can sue if Junior gets hurt.  Legal protection is just a phone call away.

		John Opalko
		AT&T Bell Labs
		Naperville, IL

DISCLAIMER:  I am not a lawyer and the major portion of my experience with
the law is seeing just how far I can bend it before it breaks.