[net.consumers] Request for info on kitchen pans

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (05/09/85)

   A while back there was a discussion on the net on the merits of a
couple of different brands of kitchen pots and pans.  Of course I
didn't read the articles and of course I now find myself in the process
of buying the stuff and in need of that information.  Did anyone save
those articles?  Could a kind sole send a copy to me?  Thanx in advanx.

***********
The question is, "ARE YOU right for Grape Nuts?"
***********
H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/11/85)

Well, I've been meaning on writing a review on the ones I bought
in January, so...

Having only some very cheap teflon coated aluminum pans which were
in rather poor shape, and reading all these articles about how
various things pans are made of dissolve into your food, and, like
gee, I wonder what sort of effects teflon has on you...

At any rate, I decided that it was time to get a "good" set of
cookware.  Having learned in other pursuits that good tools are
extremely helpful, I felt that spending the money for good quality
would be worth it.

So, requirements were: (1) stainless steel interior, so as to not
put any icky substances into the food. (2) copper or aluminum layer
to distribute the heat evenly, since stainless steel doesn't. With
a thin layer of stainless on the bottom, since who has time to polish
copper? (3) nice flat bottoms in case I get a smooth-top stove someday.
(4) good quality.

One very high quality line of cookware is made by Cusineart (sp?).
They are made in France, and come in two versions: regular, with
wood handles, and commercial, with stainless steel handles and
heavier construction.  I could not find anyplace that carried the
'regular' line.  (even in the Chicago area!?)
The commercial line is sold in bizzare sets at outragious prices.
Presumably you can buy them open stock, but I never found them sold
this way.  Of course, buying things open stock is usually more
expensive, so...   The stainless steel handles have a small gap at
the bottom which makes them uncomfortable to lift. (my opinion)
This was the only brand I found in the Chicago area with the three
layers.  :-(

However, in the shopper's paradise of Portland, Oregon, I found some
other brands.  The three layer type is becoming more common, I even
found versions at Sears and Pennys.

There is a brand called "Cusineware" (appariently not connected with
"Cusineart"), made in Korea, which is pretty nice, though not as high
quality as Cusineart.  Also not the price!  The gauge of the metal is
lighter, though ok.  There was a nice 11 piece set for US$150 I almost
bought.  It has molded handles of some sort of high-temp plactic,
which withstand reasonably high temps, and are much more comfy than
Cusineart's steel handles.  (Though the steel handles can take as
high a heat as your stove can throw at them)

The brand I ended up buying is called Fissler, from Germany.  It is
of the same very high quality level as the cusineart, but the price
isn't as outragious. (note I didn't say it was cheap!) It has
a number of nifty features above and beyond my minimum requirements,
which along with their high quality, swung the balance in their favor.
The handles are also some sort of comfy molded stuff, but good for
higher temps (550F if I remember right) than the cusineware.  The
knobs on the lids twist to open or close a vent, so you can either
let steam escape, or seal it up, and do the "waterless" cooking bit.
The bottoms are very slightly concave when cold, so that they will be
absolutely flat when hot.  The frying pans have a slight waffle-pattern
in the bottom so that the butter/oil doesn't run off to one side if the
burner isn't exactly level.  The handles on the stock pots are such
that you can prop the lid there while you stir the contents. (big deal)

I got two saucepans, the small (4 liter) stockpot, and the large skillet
(with lids for all) on sale for US$200.  Expensive, but not totally
outragious like the Cusineart, and they will definitely last a lifetime.

How do they to cook with?  WONDERFUL!  With regular pans, simmering
pizza sauce puts the entire kitchen in danger of getting splattered
by bubbling sauce, since the heat is concentrated in a couple of
spots.  With the Fissler, I get lots and lots of very tini bubbles,
evenly distributed.  Aside from the splatter factor, the sauce gets
heated evenly, rather than getting burned in a couple of spots and
not heated much at all otherwise.  Same for the skillet.  The waffle
pattern really does help keep the butter/oil distributed, and the
heat is even over the whole bottom of the skillet.

After using them for four monthes, I am very happy with them, and would
buy the same thing again.

Snoopy
tektronix!mako!seifert

chris@nrcvax.UUCP (Chris Grevstad x310) (05/14/85)

In article <1014@ihuxb.UUCP> reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) writes:
>The question is, "ARE YOU right for Grape Nuts?"

No, no, no.  The real question is, "Are you nuts right for me?"

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	Life is difficult for the organizationally impaired.