[net.consumers] Fix a totaled car?

dennisg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dennis E. Griesser) (05/15/85)

In article <404@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>> and NEVER fix a car when it can be totaled.
>The last serious problem I had with my car  was  a  fire  under  the  hood.
[explains problem, solution, and resolution]
>Moral:  It's nearly always cheaper to fix a car than to replace it.

It may be cheaper to fix the car, but not safer.

In the case cited, fixing the car was the best choice.  Sharp of you to make
the right decision!  BUT some accidents cause slightly more damage than a
soggy carburator.  Fixing some types of damage may be economical, but result
in an unsafe car.

I have heard that structural damage to unibody cars should NEVER be repaired.
The car is designed to buckle in impact.  This soaks up a lot of the force.
A repaired car, especially if steel plate is welded in, will probably not
buckle right.

[standard disclaimers]

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/17/85)

> I have heard that structural damage to unibody cars should NEVER be repaired.
> The car is designed to buckle in impact.  This soaks up a lot of the force.
> A repaired car, especially if steel plate is welded in, will probably not
> buckle right.

Yes, the policy of using "clips," portions of the entire front or rear
of some other car being attached to your car, has fallen into disfavor.

-Ron