[net.consumers] are ion generators bad for machinery and other living things?

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (05/24/85)

A bunch of the non-smokers in our corridor have just received a
shipment of Bionaire smoke filters.  These machines contain both air
filters and ion generators.  I've read (perhaps in this newsgroup) that
ion generators don't have any hazardous effects on humans (and in fact
may make people feel better), but I seem to recall that they can cause
plants to wilt and make certain types of plastics disintegrate in time
(hopefully not as fast as the virus in The Andromeda Strain...).
Anyway, would it be wise to move expensive machinery like Sun
workstations, 3B2's, and plants out of our offices?
	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (05/25/85)

Sun workstations (ANY CRT for that matter) *is* a negative ion generator.
Therefore it is unlikely you need to protect it from other ion generators.
When I touch with my finger the screen of my Sun 100U workstation, there
is a crackle of discharge of static electricity between my finger and the
screen.  The reason for this is that every CRT works on the principle of
beaming electrons from the cathode at the back of the CRT to the phosphor
inside the screen, which means that the negatively charged electrons tend
to charge the screen negatively, hence the screen becomes a generator of
negative ions unless it is thoroughly grounded.  Most CRT's have the
cathode at a very high negative potential and the phosphor grounded to
minimize this effect (as you wouldn't want to get a serious shock from the
alternative arrangement of putting the cathode at ground potential and
raising the screen to a large positive potential).  The higher performance
video monitors use a higher voltage and therefore tend to produce more
screen charge.  and X-rays.  but you didn't mention those.  Note also,
that color CRTs use (typically) even higher voltages, and produce even
more X-rays and screen charge.  Naturally, the highest level of health
threat to your body is sitting right in front of a color monitor, as in
a Sun 160 workstation.  Not that Sun workstations are any more or less
this way than the equivalent products of any other manufacturer.  These
are *definitely* not in any way to be construed as statements of
Sun Microsystems Inc, but are instead my own personal opinions, totally
unsupported by *any* facts.  Caveat Emptor.  Penguins are roaming the streets.

--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace ) (05/26/85)

I think your equipment is safe for a few years in the ion environment.  After
3-4 years, the computers will be used as door stops anyway.

tsc2597@acf4.UUCP (Sam Chin) (05/27/85)

<>

I've had a Bionare sitting next to my computer for 6 months now without any
problems. I use it to prevent dust from entering the machine because it has
a powerful fan. There are two problems with ion generators. The first is
that they emit the poisonous gas ozone. Consumer Reports recently tested
most of the air cleaners/ion generators (including 2 Bionare models) and
found that they emitted no detectable ozone. The second problems is that
they cause dust and dirt to stick to the wall thus discolouring it. Consumer
Reports found that the passive ion generators (those with no built in fan)
do indeed dirty walls but air cleaners with both fan/filters and ion
generators such as the Bionare 1000 and 500 did not dirty any walls. They
also top rated the Bionare 1000.

Personally I find that the Bionare does indeed work and though it may be my
imagination, I found the air in the room to be of a significantly fresher
quality after installing the Bionare and especially during Winter when all
the windows were closed. I heard hearsay that ion generators trash magnectic
disks but not one of my disks has ever been affected by the Bionare.
Sam Chin - tsc2597.acf4@nyu.ARPA   or    allegra!cmcl2!acf4!tsc2597

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (05/28/85)

See referenced article in net.flame.
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "V'q engure or n puvgva, jerfgyrq va n frrq bhgjbea,
	     Naq urne byq Rora, jvaqvat n fvyrag ubea."

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/28/85)

> A bunch of the non-smokers in our corridor have just received a
> shipment of Bionaire smoke filters.  These machines contain both air
> filters and ion generators.  I've read (perhaps in this newsgroup) that
> ion generators don't have any hazardous effects on humans (and in fact
> may make people feel better), but I seem to recall that they can cause
> plants to wilt and make certain types of plastics disintegrate in time
> (hopefully not as fast as the virus in The Andromeda Strain...).
> Anyway, would it be wise to move expensive machinery like Sun
> workstations, 3B2's, and plants out of our offices?
> 	Mark Plotnick
> 	allegra!mp

If these ION generators spew ozone in the air, it is harmful to humans,
houseplants, and anything made of organic compunds like rubber.  They
found this out in tire warehouses.

-Ron

jdg@ncrcae.UUCP (Jim Griggers) (05/29/85)

In article <2221@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>Most CRT's have the
>cathode at a very high negative potential and the phosphor grounded to
>minimize this effect (as you wouldn't want to get a serious shock from the
>alternative arrangement of putting the cathode at ground potential and
>raising the screen to a large positive potential).

As a EE with quite a bit of experience with CRT design, I have *never* seen
the cathode put at a high negative potential while the anode is grounded.
I think if you check, your SUN and other CRTs run a second anode potential
at around 12kv to 20kv, with the cathode grounded (or near ground ).  This
makes the circuit design in driving the grids or cathode with video
information much easier.  Remember, there is about a quarter inch of glass
between the phosphor an the front of the tube which is enough to prevent
a shock hazard.

paul@dual.UUCP (Baker) (05/29/85)

While working at North Star a few years ago, a colleague brought in a
negative ion generator.  After this had been on for about half an hour,
his terminal, a Soroc, would behave erratically.  This was tried several
times, always with the same results.

> A bunch of the non-smokers in our corridor have just received a
> shipment of Bionaire smoke filters.  These machines contain both air
> filters and ion generators.  I've read (perhaps in this newsgroup) that
> ion generators don't have any hazardous effects on humans (and in fact
> may make people feel better), but I seem to recall that they can cause
> plants to wilt and make certain types of plastics disintegrate in time
> (hopefully not as fast as the virus in The Andromeda Strain...).
> Anyway, would it be wise to move expensive machinery like Sun
> workstations, 3B2's, and plants out of our offices?

Paul Wilcox-Baker

tsc2597@acf4.UUCP (Sam Chin) (05/30/85)

<>

Look at it this way. The smoke is worse for floppy disks.

Sam Chin
allegra!cmcl2!acf4!tsc2597

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (06/02/85)

In article <4147@allegra.UUCP> mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
>A bunch of the non-smokers in our corridor have just received a
>shipment of Bionaire smoke filters.  These machines contain both air
>filters and ion generators.  I've read (perhaps in this newsgroup) that
>ion generators don't have any hazardous effects on humans (and in fact
>may make people feel better), but I seem to recall that they can cause
>plants to wilt and make certain types of plastics disintegrate in time
>(hopefully not as fast as the virus in The Andromeda Strain...).
>Anyway, would it be wise to move expensive machinery like Sun
>workstations, 3B2's, and plants out of our offices?
>	Mark Plotnick
>	allegra!mp

Interesting.  You are concerned about possible bad effects of air
filters, but not of smoke?  You know what a smoke particle can do
to a disk drive?  (Not to mention what they do to humans)

Companies that are serious about the health of their employees
don't allow smoking.

Snoopy
tektronix!mako!seifert

ps Anyone sending flames about the "rights" of smokers to inflict
carsinogens on nonsmokers, or about "sealed winis", will receive
a free core dump by return mail.

paul@dual.UUCP (Baker) (06/03/85)

> As a EE with quite a bit of experience with CRT design, I have *never* seen
> the cathode put at a high negative potential while the anode is grounded.
> I think if you check, your SUN and other CRTs run a second anode potential
> at around 12kv to 20kv, with the cathode grounded (or near ground ).  This
> makes the circuit design in driving the grids or cathode with video
> information much easier.  Remember, there is about a quarter inch of glass
> between the phosphor an the front of the tube which is enough to prevent
> a shock hazard.

Many old Oscilloscopes were designed with the cathode at a negative
potential.  These were typical vacuum tube designs.  The anode was
connected to about 200 Volts, the supply for the rest of the
circuitry.  The deflection plates were connected to differential
drivers.  The cathode was connected to about -1kV.  I made one of these
in the dim and distant past.  There is also a similar design in 1966
RCA receiving tube manual.  I have, however, never seen a T.V. type
display designed this way.

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (06/07/85)

> > As a EE with quite a bit of experience with CRT design, I have *never* seen
> > the cathode put at a high negative potential while the anode is grounded.
> > I think if you check, your SUN and other CRTs run a second anode potential
> > at around 12kv to 20kv, with the cathode grounded (or near ground ).  This
> > makes the circuit design in driving the grids or cathode with video
> > information much easier.  Remember, there is about a quarter inch of glass
> > between the phosphor an the front of the tube which is enough to prevent
> > a shock hazard.
>
> Many old Oscilloscopes were designed with the cathode at a negative
> potential.  These were typical vacuum tube designs.  The anode was
> connected to about 200 Volts, the supply for the rest of the
> circuitry.  The deflection plates were connected to differential
> drivers.  The cathode was connected to about -1kV.  I made one of these
> in the dim and distant past.  There is also a similar design in 1966
> RCA receiving tube manual.  I have, however, never seen a T.V. type
> display designed this way.

Silly me, my Heath Tube Scope is exactly what I was thinking of as I originated
this insanity about innards of monitor circuitry, and that certainly isn't
the way most modern solid state monitors are built, just as the corrective
articles previously indicated.

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)