[net.consumers] Nissan Diesel Pickup, lemon or junk

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (06/13/85)

I bought a new Nissan pickup truck two years ago, with the diesel
engine and 5-speed transmission.  The transmission has now failed,
at 47000 miles.  I am told the the front main bearing failed, and
destroyed the case.  When I bought this vehicle, because it is a diesel,
I also bought the "extended service contract".  The people who carry
the contract are now saying that they're not liable, and won't pay,
because the "engine is too strong for the transmission", and causes
the bearings to fail in the kind of driving (commute, mostly) that
I do, therefore this is normal wear.
Has anyone else heard of this kind of situation?  Does this sound like
a crock?  Has anyone any suggestions?
--
  ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) (06/14/85)

Sounds like time to sue!

che@ptsfb.UUCP (06/15/85)

In article <1976@hplabs.UUCP> faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) writes:
>I bought a new Nissan pickup truck two years ago, with the diesel
>engine and 5-speed transmission.  The transmission has now failed,
>at 47000 miles.  I am told the the front main bearing failed, and
>destroyed the case.  When I bought this vehicle, because it is a diesel,
>I also bought the "extended service contract".  The people who carry
>the contract are now saying that they're not liable, and won't pay,
>because the "engine is too strong for the transmission", and causes
>the bearings to fail in the kind of driving (commute, mostly) that
>I do, therefore this is normal wear.
>Has anyone else heard of this kind of situation?  Does this sound like
>a crock?  Has anyone any suggestions?

Boy, oh boy... what company is telling you that a transmission failure
is "normal wear" at 47K miles?  Was this contract sold by the Nissan
dealer?  What does he say?  I would contact the dealer and get in
touch with the regional Nissan rep if this is a contract the dealer
sold you...  (I'm assuming the drive train is covered by the extended
service contract and that you're below the time and mileage limit.)
	You may have to get tough and have your lawyer talk to these
people.  I'd make it clear to everyone involved that you don't
care who is liable but if you don't get satisfaction, you'll sue the
contract company, the dealer who sold you the contract, and Nissan...
	(I love the "engine is too strong" explanation... again, what
does Nissan say?)

Mitch Che
Pacific Bell
disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, too...