[net.consumers] refrigerater help wanted

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/12/85)

My refrigerator, a Sears Coldspot Spacemaster 14, tends to work poorly
during the summer. It stops cooling during the day and doesn't work all
evening, even though temperatures drop to about 80F.

Is this normal behavior and what can I do about it?

--
 A man could get elected President by promising to put
 the phone company back together.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

copp@petrus.UUCP (06/13/85)

In all seriousness, have you cleaned the radiator coils?
(Remember, those things that the owner's manual told you
to clean once per month?)
My refridge quit completely last July; I felt like a fool when
my refridge-expert neighbor came over and vacuumed a half-bagful
of dirt from the coils.  Completely solved the problem.

agg@mhuxm.UUCP (gross a g) (06/13/85)

> My refrigerator, a Sears Coldspot Spacemaster 14, tends to work poorly
> during the summer. It stops cooling during the day and doesn't work all
> evening, even though temperatures drop to about 80F.
>
> Is this normal behavior and what can I do about it?
>
> --
>  A man could get elected President by promising to put
>  the phone company back together.
>
>  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
>  UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!phil
>  ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

The advice from Dave Copp is good.
If the refrig. is a self defrosting type your problem may be
a malfunctioning defrost timer.  It could be failing such that
too little of the cycle goes toward running the compressor
and too much goes toward driving the heating coils.
I had a  freezer I was all set to junk, convinced that it
was low on refrigerant and not worth fixing.  I disconnected
the timer, shorted the compressor connection to the line
connection, and voila, it worked fine.  A new $20 timer
and the thing has been running fine for a year.

che@ptsfb.UUCP (06/15/85)

In article <1617@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP writes:
>My refrigerator, a Sears Coldspot Spacemaster 14, tends to work poorly
>during the summer. It stops cooling during the day and doesn't work all
>evening, even though temperatures drop to about 80F.

You could have any number of problems.  If the thing doesn't run very
much even with the thermostat set to its lowest temp, you could have a
thermostat problem.  If it runs on and on and the temp doesn't fall, you
may have a compressor or coolant problem (no pressure, freon lost, etc).
You need to isolate the problem first...

Mitch Che
Pacific Bell
disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, too...