[net.consumers] New and old Coca-Cola

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) (06/19/85)

I have been waiting and holding my breathing for any thing about the
new Coca-cola in this newsgroup.  You see I heard a rumor that the
reason Coca-cola switched their formula around was because they
wanted to reduce the amount of coca extract in their formula.  The
price of coca leaves used for the extract was getting to be too
expensive for the Coca-cola company.  Also since Pepsi does not use
any coca flavoring and Coca-cola now has less flavoring Coca-cola
not tastes a lot closer to Pepsi.  Now usually when I hear a rumor I
see it posted by someone else on Usenet a few days later.  I have
not seen any postings on this rumor at all.  Does this mean that
this rumor may be true?

--
----
David Whiteman,

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (06/20/85)

I also noticed that the new Coke uses corn syrup as a sweetener instead
of sugar, which is also much cheaper!  (It also tastes terrible.)

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (06/20/85)

  You're right, the new Coke tastes just like Pepsi. If I wanted that
sickeningly-sweet taste, I would have been a Pepsi drinker instead of a
loyal Coca-Cola fan. I think the new Coke sucks, and I hope they go back
to the old one. The reason *I* heard for the switch is because, although
they were still #1, Pepsi has been getting a bigger and bigger share of the
market with each passing year. Personally, I think it's a real boondoggle
for Coke, since Pepsi has been having a field day with it in their ads.

--Greg (Formerly a Coca-Cola drinker)
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/21/85)

It's not only Coca Cola that's changed.  Last week I went to the grocery
store to buy (among other things) Ovaltine*.  I like ovaltine, because it
contains various vitamins, in reasonable doses (45% of the RDA for most
of them).

However, I found that they had changed the bottle it came in to a paper can.
Further more, it said on the label "New, richer flavor."

Well, changing the taste is not so bad... but there is another change not
mentioned on the front label.  It now has about HALF the vitamins it formerly
had!  I guess, like the alleged coca leaves, the cost of the vitamins was
getting too expensive... so they changed the "taste" by reducing the vitamin
content.

*Ovaltine is a trademark of Sandoz pharmaceuticals.

------

PS - about Coca Cola*, by the way... about a week ago, the Orlando Sentinel
conducted a survey on Coca Cola flavor.  Of those surveyed, 90% said they
liked the old flavor better!  Several children interviewed had amusing
comments.  The best was "It tastes like nuclear waste."
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "Fheryl qnloernxf pebff bhe cngu, naq fgnl, znlor, njuvyr..."

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/21/85)

> I also noticed that the new Coke uses corn syrup as a sweetener instead
> of sugar, which is also much cheaper!  (It also tastes terrible.)

What's really amazing is that the people they are trying to compete
with (PEPSI) still uses real Sugar.

+Ron

summers@druca.UUCP (SummersCK) (06/22/85)

People may be interested that, according to the label, it appears that
"Cherry Coke" is still based on the old formula (including sugar rather
than high-fructose corn syrup).  So, unless you are, or know, an old
Coke hoarder your best bet is to get the Cherry Coke (until they change
its formula, anyway) -- it's the closest to the "Real thing".

Take care.
Charles K. Summers
ihnp4!druca!summers

Is it possible that Coke changed the formula of their soft drink, even know-
ing it would drop in popularity, because it calculated that the new formula
would be so much cheaper to put out than the old that even with the drop in
popularity that could be expected, they STILL would make more profit?

here's hacking,

dan levy
at&t teletype corporation
skokie, ill

mmb@lzwi.UUCP (M.BURNS) (06/22/85)

> I also noticed that the new Coke uses corn syrup as a sweetener instead
> of sugar, which is also much cheaper!  (It also tastes terrible.)
A friend of mine can no longer drink coke as she is allergic to corn.

					Maurice M. Burns,
					The Lonely Squire of Gothos

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/24/85)

> Is it possible that Coke changed the formula of their soft drink, even know-
> ing it would drop in popularity, because it calculated that the new formula
> would be so much cheaper to put out than the old that even with the drop in
> popularity that could be expected, they STILL would make more profit?

Actually, the way Coke is handling complaints is fairly revealing.  If
someone calls up their toll-free number to complain about the taste, they
give him or her some coupons for some free Coke.  According to their
marketing representative, who was interviewed recently in the local
newspaper, Coke only counts the call as being negative if the person won't
take the coupons.  It appears that maybe their rationale is that people
will eventually learn to like the new taste of Coke.  And this is probably
true...

The main flavor missing from the new Coke, in my opinion, is lemon.  The
old Coke had a distinct lemon taste.  I don't know what coca leaves taste
like...
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Erny vfgf qba'g hfr Xbqnpuebzr."

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/25/85)

>From: jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos)
>
>> Is it possible that Coke changed the formula of their soft drink, even know-
>> ing it would drop in popularity, because it calculated that the new formula
>> would be so much cheaper to put out than the old that even with the drop in
>> popularity that could be expected, they STILL would make more profit?
>
>Actually, the way Coke is handling complaints is fairly revealing.  If
>someone calls up their toll-free number to complain about the taste, they
>give him or her some coupons for some free Coke.  According to their
>marketing representative, who was interviewed recently in the local
>newspaper, Coke only counts the call as being negative if the person won't
>take the coupons.  It appears that maybe their rationale is that people
>will eventually learn to like the new taste of Coke.  And this is probably
>true...

Also, have you seen the latest Bill Cosby ads for New Coke? In it, he talks
about how he always liked the taste of Coke, but now thinks the new stuff
is the best Coke ever.

It appears that now Coke is resorting to an appeal to the "lost lambs".

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		New COKE- the refreshment that pauses.

arnold@gatech.CSNET (Arnold Robbins) (06/25/85)

> People may be interested that, according to the label, it appears that
> "Cherry Coke" is still based on the old formula (including sugar rather
> than high-fructose corn syrup).  So, unless you are, or know, an old
> Coke hoarder your best bet is to get the Cherry Coke (until they change
> its formula, anyway) -- it's the closest to the "Real thing".
>
> Take care.
> Charles K. Summers
> ihnp4!druca!summers

I'm glad someone mentioned Cherry Coke.  I do want to point out that Cherry
Coke is currently only being test marketed -- it is not available all over
the country/world.  Atlanta, Denver, somewhere-in-Connecticut, and some towns
in North and South Carolina (maybe a few others) are the test markets.

An article in the Atlanta paper a couple of weeks back noted that in the test
markets, Cherry Coke was getting about 2% to 8% of the soft drink markets in
the test areas, and cutting heavily into the market for regular Coke!

Personally, I agree that it is closest to the old Coke, and I really like it.
They seem to have added more cherry than they had initially, which it
needed.

Anyway, if you can get Cherry Coke, enjoy it.  If not, call up the Coke
number and ask when it will be available in your area (1-800-GET-COKE).
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold@gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

How come nobody likes good ideas when they don't come up with them?

bill@persci.UUCP (06/26/85)

>>> Is it possible that Coke changed the formula of their soft drink, even know-
>>> ing it would drop in popularity, because it calculated that the new formula
>>> would be so much cheaper to put out than the old that even with the drop in
>>> popularity that could be expected, they STILL would make more profit?
>>
> [...] It appears that now Coke is resorting to an appeal to the "lost lambs".

Heard on a Seattle radio station:
   "With every fill-up of Shell gasoline, you get a *FREE* six-pack of Coke."

It seems they can't sell it, so they're giving it away!
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill