[net.consumers] Tile Adhesive Removal

heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (06/20/85)

I am remodeling my kitchen and I've torn off ceramic
tiles. I'm now "stuck" with the problem of getting the adhesive
off. Any ideas out there?

crd9852@ritcv.UUCP (Charlie Dennett) (06/27/85)

In article <469@ihu1m.UUCP> heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) writes:
>I am remodeling my kitchen and I've torn off ceramic
>tiles. I'm now "stuck" with the problem of getting the adhesive
>off. Any ideas out there?

I had a similar problem when I remodeled a bathroom about 3 years ago.
I had aluminum tiles on the was and the also ft the adhesive on the
walls.  When I removed the adhesive, a thin layer of the paper that was
attached to the drywall also came off.  So, I spread a thin layer of
drywall compound over the walls and when it dried, I just smoothed it out.
I then used a drywall sealer on the walls (it's like a paint.)  Finally,
I put wallpaper on the walls.  It worked rather well.  Just be sure you
smooth out the dried drywall compound.  Wallpaper can cover up some small
bumps, but if you plan to paint, you had better get all the bumps out.

Another idea:  Replace the drywall!