[net.consumers] stereo cassette player

sampath@topdoc.DEC (HEXOCTic man, 384-8317) (06/14/85)

I heard that JVC came up with a stereo cassette player with a built-in
walkman. But I don't see it anywhere. Is there any thing wrong with this
type of arrangement? Any idea why it is not popular? Does any one else
beside JVC make such a model?

Thanks for any info.

Sampath.

...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-topdoc!sampath

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (06/18/85)

In article <2693@decwrl.UUCP> sampath@topdoc.DEC writes:
>I heard that JVC came up with a stereo cassette player with a built-in walkman.

You mean JVC is selling a product that contains a Sony product?  As far
as I know, walkman is a Sony TM for their portable stereos.  I'm not
sure if it only refers to their AM-FM radio or also to cassette players.

Assuming what you mean is a portable unit that can get AM-FM and also
can play cassette tapes, the typical arrangement is a cassette player
and a separate cassette which is really a radio.  Not only is this expensive,
but it's silly, redundant, and inconvenient to change stations.  I also
wonder how good the reception can be - it's hard to put an antenna on
a cassette.

I own a box made by "AI Rhapsody" (Hong Kong) called the RY-90
which is sold under the name "Stereo to-go".  Our local Sun TV is
always advertising their AM-FM radio for $10 or so.  This version
is a combined radio and cassette player, with no funny cassette.
The tuner knob and am-fm switch are on the outside, handy where you
can get at them.  The headphone cord is the antenna.  As a bonus,
it also records with a built-in mike (in stereo, but the mikes are
an inch apart, and there are no provisions for an external mike.)
I think it can record off the radio, too.  Try that with a funny
cassette!

The best news is that it wasn't that expensive - I got it for slightly
under $50.  However, it was their demo copy, and I got the
impression that it had been discontinued (2 years ago, I think.)

It works fine, although the plastic door over the tape area popped out when
I dropped it (which is easy to do when you have a short headphone cord
and are constrained in location due to crummy reception in a metal
building.  The reception is fine as long as the batteries have
a good charge on them (I use nicads.)

	Mark

louie@umd5.UUCP (06/20/85)

I've got a Toshiba portable tape player/Walkman clone.  I has the AM/FM
tuner on a funny cassette shaped insert.  It actually works quite well; the
tuner connects via 5 or 6 small pins to the tape player to supply power,
antenna, and audio.  It uses the headphone cable as the antenna.
--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@umd5.arpa

sampath@topdoc.DEC (HEXOCTic man, 384-8317) (06/22/85)

Let me make my request more clear with this.

>>I heard that JVC came up with a stereo cassette player with a built-in walkman.

>You mean JVC is selling a product that contains a Sony product?  As far
>as I know, walkman is a Sony TM for their portable stereos.  I'm not
>sure if it only refers to their AM-FM radio or also to cassette players.

I guess you are right. But what I meant by walkman was the portable stereo
cassette player (the one you carry around during jogging etc.) of the size
around 4 in. x 2 in. x 1/2 in. Consider such a unit (only the cassette player
without any radio) neatly slipping into a portable stereo system of the size
around 20 in. x 10in. x 6 in. including the length of the detachable speakers
with a power output in the range of 15-30 watts (something you don't carry
around while jogging :-) but good for picnics). The pickup heads and the
preamp section of the cassette player can be removed at any time from the
bigger system. I don't know about the prices, but with such an arrangement
we should be getting a portable cassette player of good quality with out
paying too much extra when we buy the big system.

>Assuming what you mean is a portable unit that can get AM-FM and also
>can play cassette tapes, the typical arrangement is a cassette player
>and a separate cassette which is really a radio.  Not only is this expensive,
>but it's silly, redundant, and inconvenient to change stations.  I also
>wonder how good the reception can be - it's hard to put an antenna on
>a cassette.

This is not the one I meant. I have seen this one and is sure silly.

I am not keen on the radio part but don't mind if it is there. But if it is
there I would prefer it to be outside the portable portion so that the
reception is good enough to reach across the pond for BBC.

Sampath.

The year of ORWELL is behind us, but not his prophecies - Did someone say
							  this before?

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (06/22/85)

I just saw a small ghetto-blaster in a local store: AM, FM, cassette
(play-only), two 3" speakers.  The cassette player part is removable,
it unplugs from the rest of the unit, kind of like the way an RCA 900
VCR comes apart.  When detached, the cassette player part is about the
size and shape of a walkman.  Made by Yorx, I think.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos) (06/27/85)

In article <1266@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:

>Assuming what you mean is a portable unit that can get AM-FM and also
>can play cassette tapes, the typical arrangement is a cassette player
>and a separate cassette which is really a radio.  Not only is this expensive,
>but it's silly, redundant, and inconvenient to change stations.  I also
>wonder how good the reception can be - it's hard to put an antenna on
>a cassette.

Ha!. I have owned three portables, two w/radio. My current one
is a Toshiba with Dolby (TM), auto reverse, and recording, plus a
pair of headphones by Kenwood. The quality of the FM reception
is *excellent*. I can't see why it is redundant and silly. It
still uses the headphones as an antenna. And it is very convenient
as well, as you don't have to carry a bagful of tapes. Also
practical when batteries drop.

>I own a box made by "AI Rhapsody" (Hong Kong) called the RY-90
>which is sold under the name "Stereo to-go".  Our local Sun TV is
>always advertising their AM-FM radio for $10 or so.  This version
>is a combined radio and cassette player, with no funny cassette.
>The tuner knob and am-fm switch are on the outside, handy where you
>can get at them.  The headphone cord is the antenna.  As a bonus,
>it also records with a built-in mike (in stereo, but the mikes are
>an inch apart, and there are no provisions for an external mike.)

The Toshiba has external mikes, but the quality is LOUSY. I mean
LOUSY. It can't record a lecture, even worst FM/AM. Putting knobs
and dials on the thing increases size considerably, also. Most other
casseteradio types do the same. I don't find it inconvenient.

>The best news is that it wasn't that expensive - I got it for slightly
>under $50.  However, it was their demo copy, and I got the
>impression that it had been discontinued (2 years ago, I think.)
>
>It works fine, although the plastic door over the tape area popped out when
>I dropped it (which is easy to do when you have a short headphone cord
>and are constrained in location due to crummy reception in a metal
>building.  The reception is fine as long as the batteries have
>a good charge on them (I use nicads.)
>
>	Mark
You get what you pay for. I paid $145 for the tape deck and $30 for
the headphones. But I have a really nice setup. Cheapos tend to
deteriorate their performance very rapidly.
Happy jamboxin'
Spiros

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/01/85)

--
> I've got a Toshiba portable tape player/Walkman clone.  I has the
> AM/FM tuner on a funny cassette shaped insert.  It actually works
> quite well; the tuner connects via 5 or 6 small pins to the tape
> player to supply power, antenna, and audio.  It uses the headphone
> cable as the antenna.
> --
> Louis A. Mamakos

I also have one of these (it's *smaller* than the cassettes it
plays, so they stick out like an overstuffed sandwich), and the
FM stereo reception is amazingly good--clearly better than fromi
the SONY radio/cassette walkperson.  The only real problem is that
it eats a pair of AAA cells in just a few cassettes worth of
listening (the radio causes no significant drain).  To get any
prolonged portable use out of it, you have to plug in the pair of
C cells pack which the Toshiba folks thoughtfully provide with
the unit.  The teeny, collapsible headphones provided are OK, but
I found SONY phones much superior.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****