[net.consumers] WARNING! "FREE" VISA

johna@haddock.UUCP (06/28/85)

TANSTAAFL
	R. Heinlein  et al

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) (07/01/85)

The earlier warning about the First Deposit Savings Bank  "Free
Visa" was not strong enough. The finance charges on transactions
start on the day of purchase not the day of transaction.  Which
means you are paying for float money that the bank is not paying
you.  In other words if you buy something today and the merchant
leaves the charge slip in his register for a week, (which many
merchants do because they need a minimum number of charge slips to
turn in), you are paying interest for that week before it is posted.

--
----
David Whiteman,

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (07/02/85)

In article <64800001@haddock.UUCP> johna@haddock.UUCP writes:

>TANSTAAFL
>	R. Heinlein  et al

You think not?  Consider the facts.  My VISA and MASTERCARD have zero
annual fees.  I do not know what the finance charge is because I never
pay any -- I just pay the full balance when I get my statement.  The only
place where there are hidden costs is with merchants who charge more
for credit cards than for cash transactions (and who probably claim
that they are actually giving a discount for cash, but we know better).

Since no one forces me to use my credit card when it would cost me
extra, there are no hidden charges that I can see.  What am I missing?
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h:ags