[net.consumers] Bytes auto renewal plan

mikey@trsvax (06/28/85)

A friend of mine used to subscribe to Byte.  He let the subscription
lapse about 3 or 4 years ago because his interest and the magazines
coverage no longer overlapped.  Anyway, about a week ago he got an
invoice for $21.00 and an offer to increase his savings if he wanted a
2 or 3 year subscription instead of 1 year.  As he says that there is
no way he wanted to resubscribe to Byte again, he ignored the invoice,
thinking that it was a re-subscription ploy.  Well, yesterday he
received the new issue of Byte.  As far as he is concerned, it is not
his.  Could this be a ploy to increase subscriptions?  Is Byte ****ing
up with their old subscription list?  Is it a mistake?  OR, is it a
attempt to increase readership?  Anyone else have this happen?  My
friend is going to delay his response to Byte until he hears if this is
widespread or an isolated incident, then he'll decide what kind of
letter to write.

mikey at trsvax

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/02/85)

[The referenced article tells of BYTE continuing to send issues after a
subscription expired.]

I also had this happen with _Electronics_ magazine, when I decided to dis-
continue my subscription after they changed the format.  I continued to
get weekly issues for several MONTHS, which then tapered off to about one
a month before finally stopping altogether.  All the while they kept sending
me "please resubscribe" forms.  This also happened to one of the other
people here, so I suspect possibly it is an attempt to encourage you to
resubscribe.  But that's just a guess...
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/03/85)

In article <70900036@trsvax> mikey@trsvax writes:
>                                              Well, yesterday he
>received the new issue of Byte.  As far as he is concerned, it is not
>his.  Could this be a ploy to increase subscriptions?

According  to  Postal  Regulations  (i.e.:  Federal  Law)  any  unsolicited
merchandise  you  receive  in the mail is yours to keep without obligation,
period.

Your friend doesn't owe  Byte  anything,  not  even  a  letter.  Since  the
magazine's his for free, he may as well keep it.