[net.consumers] G.E. Rechargable Batteries info

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (07/02/85)

["With such a weapon I could boil the Earth to vapor."]

     Last weekend I purchased a FM-Walkman(tm) clone/superset.  It is one of
those little radios(mine is AM/FM) with the head-phones and has General
Electric's name on it.  In the package I found an offer for G.E.'s rechargable
Nickel-Cadmium batteries.

     Friends of mine have told me that these things tend to eat batteries at a
rather rapid rate.  Since batteries can be rather expensive(my unit uses 3 "AAA"
-types), this sounds like a good thing to have.  However, my SO gave me a hand-
held wire-wrap gun in 1981 with a set of G.E.'s "C"-size Ni-Cd batteries.  These
batteries have exhibited the "memory" effect that Ni-Cd's are known for.  Not
wishing to have this experience again, I have the following questions for the
net...

     0.  Has G.E. improved their Ni-Cds in the past few years?
     1.  How can I prevent/delay the "memory" effect from biting me?
     2.  How do Ni-Cds perform in FM-Walkman/clones/supersets?
     3.  Is $10.95 a "good" price for a set of 4 "AAA"-size batteries+charger?
     4.  Is there a manufacturer that makes a "better" Ni-Cd for a better price?

     I have posted this to net.analog because there was a discussion recently
about batteries and recharging...  Thanks for any info.

				From the alter ego of--

				Kchula-Rrit
				!menlo70!nsc!nessus

P.S. I almost forgot: Walkman and FM-Walkman are trademarks of Sony, G.E. is
     probably a trademark as well.

				K-Rr

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (07/03/85)

In article <2936@nsc.UUCP> nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
>["With such a weapon I could boil the Earth to vapor."]
>
>Since batteries can be rather expensive(my unit uses 3 "AAA"
>-types), this sounds like a good thing to have.  However, my SO gave me a hand-
>held wire-wrap gun in 1981 with a set of G.E.'s "C"-size Ni-Cd batteries.  These
>batteries have exhibited the "memory" effect that Ni-Cd's are known for.  Not
>wishing to have this experience again, I have the following questions for the
>net...
>
>     0.  Has G.E. improved their Ni-Cds in the past few years?
>     1.  How can I prevent/delay the "memory" effect from biting me?
>     2.  How do Ni-Cds perform in FM-Walkman/clones/supersets?
>     3.  Is $10.95 a "good" price for a set of 4 "AAA"-size batteries+charger?
>     4.  Is there a manufacturer that makes a "better" Ni-Cd for a better price?

3 is such a wonderful number.  The GE chargers require either 2 or 4 (don't
really have any experience with AAA's).  My method of defeating the memory is
to use the batteries until they are exhuasted and then fully charge them.  With
RC airplanes (you never run the batteries down when $600 worth of model are at
stake) there are units you can buy which alternatly deep and shallow cycle the
batteries.

Buy 2 extra batteries so that you have 6.  Then let one set run down in your
player and then replace them.  When you get a chance recharge the first 3
including one of the ones you put in the player.  Natural selection will
probably scramble the choises and you should have little trouble.  I have used
the GE type chargers in radios, tape players, flashlights and a portable
wire-wrap gun with pleasent results.  They are greatest for flash-strobes
because they are current-type devices.

You can probably buy the batteries and charger at a store for less than
$10.95.

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) (07/03/85)

In article <2936@nsc.UUCP> nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:

>..batteries have exhibited the "memory" effect that Ni-Cd's are known for.
> (and asks how to avoid the "memory effect" that NiCad batteries exhibit
> after they've been used for a while...)

     A solution to this problem is occasionally to let the battery discharge
completely, e.g. by leaving the batteries in a radio that's on for a day,
and then recharging them completely.  It can be a real pain to do this, so
if you're a heavy battery user, it's a good idea to buy two sets of batteries
and rotate them between the charger, the Walkman, and occasionally, the radio
that's left on...  (I have a rechargeable AT&T cordless phone which recommends
I leave the handset off the charger stand until it's dead once or twice
a year...)  This process may also save a NiCad that already shows this problem.

     A price of $2-3. per AA NiCad battery is reasonable good at retail.

Mitch Che
Pacific Bell
disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, too...

nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (07/03/85)

In article <2936@nsc.UUCP>, nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
> However, my SO gave me a hand-held wire-wrap gun in 1981 with a set
> of G.E.'s "C"-size Ni-Cd batteries.  These batteries have exhibited
> the "memory" effect that Ni-Cd's are known for.
> I have the following questions for the net...
>
>      0.  Has G.E. improved their Ni-Cds in the past few years?
>      1.  How can I prevent/delay the "memory" effect from biting me?
>      2.  How do Ni-Cds perform in FM-Walkman/clones/supersets?
>      3.  Is $10.95 a "good" price for a set of 4 "AAA"-size batteries+charger?
>      4.  Is there a manufacturer that makes a "better" Ni-Cd for a better price?
>
> 				Kchula-Rrit
> 				!menlo70!nsc!nessus

In general, Radio-Control Model freakshave been using Ni-Cads to their
limits for many years. If you know of someone with this hobby, talk
to them. The modelling magazines carry usful articles fairly often.

Answers
0.	There has been no design change that I know of.
1.	'Memory' effects come from repeated incomplete discharge of the
	cells and can be cured by discharing the cells through a
	standard load, whatever it takes to have the current be
	50ma. ( You must recharge them first and it may take two or
	three cycles to get the capacity back ). Nasty ways to treat
	Ni-Cads include overcharging with a fast charger, unlikely
	with the GE device but check the charging current.

	Remember that Ni-Cads are considered good for only 200 to
	300 charge discharge cycles so curing 'memory' will shorten
	the life of the cells.

	Recommended charging current is 1/10 of the capacity of the
	cells.
2.	I run my walkman with ni-cads and have no complaints. I can
	listen to the radio for an hour or two after the cassettes
	will no longer turn.
3.	Price seems fair. Compare with Radio Shack.
4.	Not that I know about.
{ihnp4|vax135|allegra}!lznv!nrh
	Nigel		The Mad Englishman or
			The Madly Maundering Mumbler in the Wildernesses

Everything you have read here is a figment of your imagination.
Noone else in the universe currently subscribes to these opinions.

"Its the rope, you know. You can't get it, you know."