[net.consumers] AN ALTERNATIVE TO COKE & PEPSI

gorman@bdmrrr.UUCP (Mike Gorman) (07/01/85)

     LIKE SO MANY OTHER USERS OF THE NET, I, TOO AM DISSATISFIED WITH THE
TASTE OF COKE AND PEPSI.  FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ENJOYED THE TASTE OF THE OLD
COKE, I SUGGEST THAT YOU TRY RC (ROYAL CROWN) COLA.  I TRIED IT AT A PARTY
A FEW NIGHTS AGO AND HAVE FOUND ITS TASTE TO BE HIGHLY SIMILAR TO THAT OF
THE OLD COKE.  IT IS NOT AS SWEET AS PEPSI AND IT DOES NOT HAVE THAT
"WATERED DOWN" TASTE OF THE NEW COKE.  THEREFORE I WOULD ENCOURAGE ALL OF
YOU "OLD COKE LOVERS" TO TRY R.C. COLA AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO COKE AND PEPSI.

                                      MTG

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/03/85)

In article <317@bdmrrr.UUCP> gorman@bdmrrr.UUCP (Mike Gorman) writes:

>     LIKE SO MANY OTHER USERS OF THE NET, I, TOO AM DISSATISFIED WITH THE
>TASTE OF COKE AND PEPSI.  FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ENJOYED THE TASTE OF THE OLD
>COKE, I SUGGEST THAT YOU TRY RC (ROYAL CROWN) COLA...

It's hard to find in Massachusetts... at least none of the supermarkets I
shop at carries it.  But that's OK - we have MOXIE!

AWR

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/05/85)

I disagree.  To my mouth, RC is nearly indistinguishable from Pepsi,
except that Pepsi is slightly more carbonated.

Old Coke may be hard to duplicate.  You might try some brand X
colas.  Also try diet drinks, especially those with Sacharin.

The taste is most different when you drink it straight from the can.
If you like to drink cola in a glass with ice, especially if it comes
from a fountain or a bottle, you may not notice the difference.

	Mark

johnston@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/05/85)

Here's another vote for RC (if, that is, you HAVE to drink cola).  Me,
I prefer Vernors'.

- Gary Johnston

Department of Computer Science
USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!johnston
CSNET:	johnston%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
ARPA:	johnston@uiuc.arpa

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (07/09/85)

Water. And send the money you save to the starving kids in Africa
and New York.

george@sysvis (07/10/85)

<...The continuing saga of Alice in Wonderland...Drink Me!...>

As for taste on Pepsi, Coke (old or new), RC, Shasta, etc. they are all lesser
beverages than Dr. Pepper (sugar or nutrasweet, caffeine or not).  Those of
you who have never had the pleasure should drink it and then post your more
educated replies.  Since the word "cola" does not appear in the name, it seems
that there is some perceptual difficulty here.  Dr. Pepper is celebrating its
100th anniversary this year and certainly has never attempted to trade on the
"cola" name in any way (product differentiation?) even though it technically
is a "cola" beverage (secret formulas notwithstanding).

Elsewhere, on pg 447 (sic) of Consumer Reports magazine in the August 1985
issue, there is an interesting article on Coke (old + new) vs. Pepsi.  Their
conclusion is that any discussions may possibly be claptrap since the formulas
are amazingly similar (x.x% - y.y% corn syrup, carbonated water 9w.w%) and
the "trace" cola ingredients are almost negligible in taste modification.

I guess that myself and others are still guided by the adage that our own
individual perceptual biases are much more important than facts and reality.

venky@pitt.UUCP (Venkatesan) (07/10/85)

> Water. And send the money you save to the starving kids in Africa
> and New York.

I fully agree with this reply. In fact, the 2-liter COKE or PEPSI that is
sold is supposed to cost only 15-20 cents to make. Why pay huge profits to
these companies ? You will be better off drinking water and sending the
money you saved to charities.

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/12/85)

> As for taste on Pepsi, Coke (old or new), RC, Shasta, etc. they are all lesser
> beverages than Dr. Pepper (sugar or nutrasweet, caffeine or not).  Those of
> you who have never had the pleasure should drink it and then post your more
> educated replies.  Since the word "cola" does not appear in the name, it seems

I've had the "pleasure" of drinking Dr. Pepper. My one word reaction ---
blecch!!!
--
					Brian C. Carty
					AT&T Bell Laboratories

johnston@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/12/85)

>/* Written 10:45 am  Jul 10, 1985 by george@sysvis in uiucdcsb:net.consumers */
>As for taste on Pepsi, Coke (old or new), RC, Shasta, etc. they are all lesser
>beverages than Dr. Pepper (sugar or nutrasweet, caffeine or not).

Once and for all, let's face it: Dr. Pepper tastes like carbonated
prune juice! :-?

>/* Written  2:57 pm  Jul 10, 1985 by venky@pitt.UUCP */
>> Water. And send the money you save to the starving kids in Africa
>> and New York.

>I fully agree with this reply. In fact, the 2-liter COKE or PEPSI that is
>sold is supposed to cost only 15-20 cents to make. Why pay huge profits to
>these companies ? You will be better off drinking water and sending the
>money you saved to charities.

I suspect that what you're really paying for are their huge advertising
budgets.

- Gary Johnston

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (07/12/85)

> > As for taste on Pepsi, Coke (old or new), RC, Shasta, etc. they are all lesser
> > beverages than Dr. Pepper (sugar or nutrasweet, caffeine or not).  Those of
> > you who have never had the pleasure should drink it and then post your more
> > educated replies.  Since the word "cola" does not appear in the name, it seems
>
> I've had the "pleasure" of drinking Dr. Pepper. My one word reaction ---
> blecch!!!
> --
> 					Brian C. Carty
> 					AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 					Piscataway, NJ

	I think the original writer deserves more credit than a 'blecch!!!'
I am not a confirmed cola drinker(I like 7UP), but I occasionally dabble in
the cola drinks. I happen to prefer diet sodas to regular sodas(I guess I
might be a minority). I think Diet Dr. Pepper is pretty good, especially with
some lemon or lime, like any cola needs. I guess I still look for that 7UP
taste in colas.

	MY RECOMMENDATION: DRINK 7UP (DIET OR 'CLASSIC')
			   'NO CAFFEINE-NEVER HAD IT, NEVER WILL'

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

msy@siemens.UUCP (07/13/85)

> "RC Cola"
> "{New|Old} Moxi"

The Old Coke is back -- "Coca Cola Classic" IS IT.

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (07/14/85)

[Who was that masked "line-eater", anyway?]

I can't resist.  I am finally going to put my $0.02 worth in.
This is also going to be my only (posted) comment on this subject!

I prefer 7-Up, the "Un-Cola" !!  (Maybe because I'm perverse, but so what!)

Besides, the 7-Up people make much more interesting commercials!  I
especially like the ones with the Jamaican gentleman (at least I think
he's Jamaican as he certainly speaks with what I consider a Caribbean
accent) and the "Un-Cola" glasses (which look like upside down "Coke" glasses).
Now, that is what I consider a rather clever bit of "knife twisting".

Anyone wishing to respond to this is requested to use the "r" key
(mail directly to me).  Please don't clutter this group with responses,
as I will not have anything more to say (to the net) on this subject.

No flames accepted.  7-Up is an excellent flame-quencher.
--

John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

The above statements are only my personal opinion, which I will flatly
deny if questioned.