[net.consumers] "New Coke" Alternative

sorkin@lll-crg.ARPA (Art Sorkin) (07/06/85)

For all of you out in netland who are as offended as I am
at the New Coke and don't like the way it tastes, I have
an alternative to suggest.  Surprisingly enough, Shasta
Cola tastes much more like the Real Coke than New Coke.
It is not the same, of course, but it is not as sickeningly
sweet as New Coke, and it definitely does NOT taste like
Pepsi.  It's worth a try to see if you like it.  I am
switching to it, and I was a VERY large consumer of Real
Coke.

Maybe if the Coke Company loses enough of its previous
customers, it will come to its senses.

Art Sorkin
sorkin@lll-crg.arpa

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (07/08/85)

> For all of you out in netland who are as offended as I am
> at the New Coke and don't like the way it tastes, I have
> an alternative to suggest.  Surprisingly enough, Shasta
> Cola tastes much more like the Real Coke than New Coke.
> It is not the same, of course, but it is not as sickeningly
> sweet as New Coke, and it definitely does NOT taste like
> Pepsi.  It's worth a try to see if you like it.  I am
> switching to it, and I was a VERY large consumer of Real
> Coke.

I always thought that C&C Cola tasted very much like original Coke
and it's a heck of alot cheaper to boot!

> Maybe if the Coke Company loses enough of its previous
> customers, it will come to its senses.

I give the new Coke about 6 months before the company starts to
go under. I predict that the old formula (AKA "7X") will be revived
and marketed in parallel to the new junk at a much higher price.
Probably a few 'select' bottling plants will produce it. They will
market it as 'Gourmet Coke' and probably charge $2.50 per 2 liters.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

jws@dartvax.UUCP (John W. Scott) (07/08/85)

As a large Coke consumer myself, I now am switching to RC Cola as my
alternative to that swill they are now trying to pass off as coke.  I
heartily encourage all those who don't like the new Coke to switch to
something else (if you really want to hurt them, switch to Pepsi).  It
is the only way that a piece of Americana might be revived.

gdsd1@homxb.UUCP (M.LAI) (07/09/85)

I also find cheapo C&C Cola a better Real Coke substitute than RC.

philip@bu-cs.UUCP (Philip Borenstein) (07/10/85)

What I really really miss is the old Coke's throat burn. Ahhh!

I tried a Soho Cola, which has a slight burn, but only when
COLD.  The minute it warms up it turns to syrup.

[Are Soho soft drinks available everywhere?]

barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) (07/10/85)

I LOVE THE NEW COKE!!!

(Just had to get my opinion in!)

ables@mcc-db.UUCP (King Ables) (07/11/85)

[(Everybody sing!) I'd like to teach the world to gag...]

Howard Moskovitz of AT&T Info. Systems (attunix!howard) writes:
>           I predict that the old formula (AKA "7X") will be revived
> and marketed in parallel to the new junk at a much higher price.
> Probably a few 'select' bottling plants will produce it. They will
> market it as 'Gourmet Coke' and probably charge $2.50 per 2 liters.

Well, you're  not too far off.  I don't know about price yet, but I
heard today that Coke plans to market "Classic Coke" (yes, the old
stuff).  I guess it's they're way to say "ok, we admit it, we blew it."
It's going to sit right next to NEW Coke on the shelves.  Statistics
on New Coke vs. Classic Coke sales should be VERY interesting...

Ain't capitalism wunerful?

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!mcc-db!ables

philip@bu-cs.UUCP (Philip Borenstein) (07/11/85)

By now, no doubt, you've heard....

IT'S BACK!   After 1500 calls a day, the "classic" is back.

Today is a good day in the world.

AAHHHH!

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/11/85)

     I don't know if I was hallucinating last night, but I fell asleep
during the Braves game around 10:30 NYT. When I awoke, the wife had turned
on channel 9, where lo, and behold, Meg and Bill ('the Glamour Twins') were
babbling something about 'the biggest marketing mistake in history.' There
was this fuzzy picture with some guy that looks like the chairman of CocaCola
USA holding up a can of 'Classic Coke' and groaning about the 6 boxcars/day
of letters he got.

     PLEASE tell me this wasn't a dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Anthony
Chief Soft Drink Taste-Tester
DataSpan, Inc

buls@dataio.UUCP (Rick Buls) (07/11/85)

> I LOVE THE NEW COKE!!!
>
> (Just had to get my opinion in!)

 Is that the "New" Coke or the just anounced Coca-Cola "Clasic" ?

--

"It is a mistake to believe that one succeeds through success,
one more often succeeds through failure"

				Rick Buls (Data I/O; Redmond, Wa)
				uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!buls
				One "success" after another. :-)

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (07/11/85)

> For all of you out in netland who are as offended as I am
> at the New Coke and don't like the way it tastes...
>
> Maybe if the Coke Company loses enough of its previous
> customers, it will come to its senses.
>

> Art Sorkin
> sorkin@lll-crg.arpa

The awesome power of the consumer and his mighty dollar have once again
triumphed. Bring on the 'Classic Coke.'

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR BEVERAGE ***
--
"Unix, the Teco of Operating Systems."      - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (07/12/85)

Did anyone see 20/20 last night??  The guy in Washington who headed up the
back to old Coke movement picked Pepsi in their taste test.  Ha Ha.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (07/17/85)

> > Maybe if the Coke Company loses enough of its previous
> > customers, it will come to its senses.
> >
> I give the new Coke about 6 months before the company starts to
> go under. I predict that the old formula (AKA "7X") will be revived
> and marketed in parallel to the new junk at a much higher price.
> Probably a few 'select' bottling plants will produce it. They will
> market it as 'Gourmet Coke' and probably charge $2.50 per 2 liters.
>
> 					Howard Moskovitz
> 					AT&T Info. Systems
> 					attunix!howard

I guess you haven't heard: the old Coke ("7X") has been re-released
as "Coca-Cola *Classic*" and is, in fact, being sold alongside New Coke.

If I were you and I wanted to protest the silliness of Coca-Cola's decision,
I'd boycott them altogether.

As for me, I only drink diet sodas, so I haven't been affected.

--Lynn Gold
...tymix!figmo