[net.consumers] Amex card fees

jbd@duke.UUCP (Joanne Bechta Dugan) (06/20/85)

I recently acquired an American Express card, for an annual fee of $35.

In this month's Ms. magazine, there is an application for an American
Express card -- annual fee $45.

Yesterday, I received an invitation to apply for a card, for an annual
fee of $35.

Why the difference in fees ????

Joanne Bechta Dugan
  Duke University

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (06/21/85)

In article <5946@duke.UUCP> jbd@duke.UUCP (Joanne Bechta Dugan) writes:

>I recently acquired an American Express card, for an annual fee of $35.
>
>In this month's Ms. magazine, there is an application for an American
>Express card -- annual fee $45.
	.
	.
>Why the difference in fees?

AMEX is in the midst of raising their annual rates.  Next time you renew,
you'll be soaked $45 (as I already have.)  The $35 application must be
an old one.

AW Rogers

PS to all pathologically insecure status seekers: AMEX Gold is going up from
$50 to $65.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (06/24/85)

In article <465@grkermi.UUCP> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
>PS to all pathologically insecure status seekers: AMEX Gold is going up from
>$50 to $65.

Actually, all you status-seekers just got a big kick in the butt from
AMEX, with their introduction of the "Platinum" card.  You're all just
second-class citizens now (unless you cough up ~$250/yr for the Platinum
card).  Good reason to drop the Gold card for the plain old Green one.
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (06/27/85)

In article <1485@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>>PS to all pathologically insecure status seekers: AMEX Gold is going up from
>>$50 to $65.
>
>Actually, all you status-seekers just got a big kick in the butt from
>AMEX, with their introduction of the "Platinum" card.  You're all just
>second-class citizens now (unless you cough up ~$250/yr for the Platinum
>card).  Good reason to drop the Gold card for the plain old Green one.

You forgot to point out that the Platinum card isn't available to just *any*
status seeker with $250 to blow on a piece of plastic - you have to have
charged at least $10K/year for each of the past N years *and* be invited to
apply for the privilege of wasting that kind of money!

AWR

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/27/85)

What is the difference between these "green", "gold", and "platinum" cards,
anyway?
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "Qbpx! Qbpx!  Zl obj jrag bss juvyr V jhm pyrrava' vg!"

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (06/28/85)

>What is the difference between these "green", "gold", and "platinum" cards,
>anyway?

The "green" card has a yearly fee of $45 and has a certain (reasonable)
charge limit.  College students with an offer of a $15,000 job can get one.

The "gold" card gives you a bigger charge limit, a bigger yearly fee,
more status, a higher income to qualify and a few extra features like
a real line-of-credit (around $5000 I think).

The "platinum" card has a huge fee ($1500?), allows a tremendous charge
limit, and is only available to those people who travel over 10,000 (or is
it 100,000) miles a year.

				Just what I remember from the brouchure,
				  Bjorn Benson

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (CARTY) (06/28/85)

What advantages does a $250/yr Platinum card give you that you can't get
with a $65/yr Gold one?  And out of curiosity, how many folks out in
netland are going to dump their "old" AMEXes for a more prestigious one?

					Brian Carty
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					Piscataway, NJ

tplee@sftig.UUCP (T.P.Lee) (06/28/85)

> What is the difference between these "green", "gold", and "platinum" cards,
> anyway?
> --
> Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
> UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
> US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
> 	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642
>
> 	    "Qbpx! Qbpx!  Zl obj jrag bss juvyr V jhm pyrrava' vg!"

Easy.  My 5-year old son would say "color" without hesitations.  We adults
translate them to "status and respect" by a function such as
	  status = (green + 10 * gold) ^ platinum
		where each color is 1 by default and
				 is 2 if you own one.
These magic constants/formula vary from individual to individual.  (.-.)

I don't own any of them since my "cheap" department stores won't take
AMEX.  Depressing enough , Macy/Bamberger/Bloomingdale won't take may gold Visa
either ; what a "class" struggle going on here.

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (07/01/85)

> What advantages does a $250/yr Platinum card give you that you can't get
> with a $65/yr Gold one?  And out of curiosity, how many folks out in
> netland are going to dump their "old" AMEXes for a more prestigious one?
> 					Brian Carty

To have the platinum card you must also charge a minimum of $10,000 / Yr.

					Mark
					..!hou2h!mr

gm@trsvax (07/01/85)

Have you heard what the requirements for the "Platinum" card are? Besides
the $250 yearly fee you must:

	- have been an American Excess cardmember for at least 2 years.
	- charged at least $10,000 per year on your card.
	- have had your account in good standing all the time.
	- be "invited" to join. You won't see any Platinum applications at your
	  local bank.

They make some vague rumblings about "unlimited personal financial freedom".
Right. Has anyone every seen one of these? Who is going to pay $250 a year
for a charge card?

			"Calvin? My name's not Calvin!"
			"But that's the name on your underwear."

					gm@trsvax

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/02/85)

In article <137@whuts.UUCP> bccarty@whuts.UUCP (CARTY) writes:
>What advantages does a $250/yr Platinum card give you that you can't get
>with a $65/yr Gold one?  And out of curiosity, how many folks out in
>netland are going to dump their "old" AMEXes for a more prestigious one?

a) The right to flash it ostentatiously!  What else did you expect??

b) Count me out...in fact, I've been toying with the idea of discontinuing
   the *green* one and feeding some Africans with the $45.  And I don't
   mean treating them to cold pasta salad w/quail sausage at the latest trendy
   exposed fern/hanging brick Yuppie hangout (like in the AMEX ads)!

In article <42@peora.UUCP> jer@peora (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>What is the difference between these "green", "gold", and "platinum" cards,
>anyway?

That's what I say - "what's the difference?".  I believe it has something
to do with:

	a) wavelength of reflected light

	b) cost (as in "a fool and his money...")

	c) wording of the ad campaigns to convince the gullible and/or
	   insecure to trade up to the "right" card or else forget about
	   advancing beyond pond scum on the ladder to social success.

	   (Future shuck: In a couple years, we'll probably see a campaign
	   implying that the Platinum Card is about to become declasse
	   (too many hoi polloi flashing it ostentatiously), and that any
	   Yuppie worth his/her BMW should immediately apply for the new
	   AMEX Plutonium to avoid being mistaken for those tacky masses...)

You wanted a serious answer?  OK... the AMEX green is not technically a
"charge card" since the holder is expected to pay the balance in full each
month (exception: airline tickets, which may be paid in installments).  More
accurately, it's a "credit card", which is why it's actually one of the
easiest cards to get (despite the implicit snobbery in the ads).  AMEX
actively courts recent graduates ("Don't leave school without it!"); MC/VISA
usually require 1+ years of work experience.

The AMEX Gold and Platinum are true credit cards, backed by a "line of credit
from a prestigious financial institution", which the applicant (supplicant?
sucker?) must be - hold onto your hats - APPROVED FOR!  WOW!  (Drop the word
"prestigious", of course, and you have the definition of MC/VISA.)  They do
throw in such social-climber bait as "guest privileges at private clubs"
(subject to a long list of restrictions, such as location > 100 miles from
your home), etc. for you to brag about (even though they're counting on
hardly anyone taking advantage of them).

Oddly enough, the income requirements for AMEX Gold have actually been
dropping in recent years (see what I mean about "planned declasse-essence"?);
the latest application I saw required only $20K/yr (down from $30K in 1980).
There was, in fact, a recent article in Business Week | Fortune | Forbes (I
forget which) about the delicate balance AMEX's ad agency has had to maintain
in order to convey the appropriate "exclusive" image without appearing so
snobbish as to discourage the desired audience from applying.

Andrew W. Rogers

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/02/85)

> Oddly enough, the income requirements for AMEX Gold have actually been
> dropping in recent years (see what I mean about "planned declasse-essence"?);
> the latest application I saw required only $20K/yr (down from $30K in 1980).

I got an AMEX gold card in the early 70's, when my income was about
$15K/year.  Finally got rid of it when I went two straight years
without using it.

Amex advantages:
	1. For every charge, you get a piece of paper with
	   your signature on it that you can verify.
	2. You can get traveler's checks from teller machines
	   located at various major airports.
	3. No fixed credit limit.  I have a friend who bought
	   a car with an Amex card, thus gaining six weeks of
	   float on the money.
	4. Some places take it and nothing else.

Amex disadvantages:
	1. Costs a bunch.
	2. You must pay your balance in full every month.
	   (I normally do anyway, but it would be nice
	   to be able to spread out an unexpected purchase
	   once in a while.  My car just got a new cylinder head....)
	3. A lot of places don't take it.
	4. A lot of places that do take it do so only grudgingly,
	   because they normally charge the merchant much more
	   than MC/VISA.

If I were a free-lance consultant, I would consider it a necessity
because of the degree to which those little pieces of paper would
simplify record-keeping.

tkoppel@udenva.UUCP (Ted Koppel) (07/03/85)

In article <>, bccarty@whuts.UUCP (CARTY) claims:
-->And out of curiosity, how many folks out in
-->netland are going to dump their "old" AMEXes for a more prestigious one?
-->
-->					Brian Carty
-->					AT&T Bell Laboratories
-->					Piscataway, NJ

I just got the renewal notice for the green card ($35 to $45)--it was
barely worth it at $35.  I closed my account.

--
Ted Koppel : University of Denver Penrose Library : 303-871-3429
	{boulder, cires, cisden, denelcor, hao, nbires}!udenva!tkoppel

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (07/08/85)

	This does not apply to the green card since you can't run a
balance. The gold card may cost more, but the current interest rate
for balances on the gold is quite low. If you run big balances, this
could make a big difference to you. You pay $65 up front for the card
but you only pay an annual rate of 14% on your balance. When you
consider that most credit cards charge you over 19% this is a pretty
good. I don't know that the 14% interest rate is true for all gold
cards though since you get your credit line through you own bank.

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (07/09/85)

[]

	"4. A lot of places that do take it do so only grudgingly,
	because they normally charge the merchant much more than
	MC/VISA."

I operated a mail order software house for a few years, and have some
experience with credit cards from the merchant's viewpoint.

Mastercard and Visa normally charge the merchant 3% of each
transaction.  (They charge me 2.5%, because I take only large orders,
nothing under $95.)  This happens immediately, not at the end of the
month; when you deposit your credit card slips (in a process much like
depositing checks), you subtract 3% off the top and that's the amount
of your deposit.  Bear this in mind next time your bank tells you they
need to charge you for having a card; they make much more from the
merchant than from the consumer.

American Express charges 4%.  The difference between 3% and 4% isn't
enough for a merchant to get bothered about, especially since you're
less likely to have an AmEx charge go bad than a Visa/Mastercard
charge.  AmEx REQUIRES that you get the customer's signature, hence no
AmEx telephone orders.  Visa/Mastercard don't require this, but, if you
don't have the signature, they can refuse to pay the charge (by
debiting your bank account) without justification, and the merchant has
no recourse.  Also, if the charge is more than $50, the consumer can
challenge the charge even if the merchant got a signature.

What pisses off the merchants is that AmEx tells you how to run your
business.  Specifically, you MUST put the AmEx new-customer
solicitation display (a cardboard sign and several application forms)
at each cashier station, and you MUST get AmEx approval of each print
advertisement before publication if it specifies that the consumer can
charge a mail order to AmEx.  This advertisement MUST include a large
clip-out coupon with individual blocks for each of the several digits
of an AmEx card, and the coupon MUST be of a certain minimum size.
This is why I didn't go through with the AmEx merchant sign-up; the
cost of buying the space for an AmEx coupon in a single Byte ad is
literally over a thousand dollars.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (07/10/85)

Well, NOW,a at least, you can order by telephone using American
Express.  I have done it -- L.L. Bean maintains a 24-hr order desk and
takes Amex by phone, as does Williams-Sonama.

(Oh, no, have I just branded myself as yuppified?  At least I'm SUBurban..)
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/10/85)

> American Express charges 4%.  The difference between 3% and 4% isn't
> enough for a merchant to get bothered about, especially since you're
> less likely to have an AmEx charge go bad than a Visa/Mastercard
> charge.  AmEx REQUIRES that you get the customer's signature, hence no
> AmEx telephone orders.  Visa/Mastercard don't require this, but, if you
> don't have the signature, they can refuse to pay the charge (by
> debiting your bank account) without justification, and the merchant has
> no recourse.  Also, if the charge is more than $50, the consumer can
> challenge the charge even if the merchant got a signature.

I know of several merchants that will take American Express phone orders.

A number of years ago, when I still had an American Express card,
I rented a car for a long trip.  By way of a deposit, the rental
company ran my AmEx card through their imprinter.  I told them
I wasn't going to sign a blank charge ticket.  They said that was
OK; I didn't have to sign it to be obligated to pay it.

They were right.  After the trip was over, and I had paid for everything,
that blank, unsigned charge ticket turned into an extra charge of
$99.10 out of the blue.  It took me months to get it straightened out.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/11/85)

> I told them I wasn't going to sign a blank charge ticket.  They said that
> was OK; I didn't have to sign it to be obligated to pay it.

This is true.  If you read the fine print on your American Express contract,
you'll see that it says that you are obligated to pay for a charge if you
have expressed "intent to pay".  I'm not sure what intent to pay implies,
but that fact has always concerned me regarding making telephone orders with
a credit or charge card.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    Gur ArgArjf... n qlvat pbzzhavpngvba sbez?

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (07/11/85)

>     ...  AmEx REQUIRES that you get the customer's signature, hence no
> AmEx telephone orders.

I've ordered things over the telephone from various mail order houses
and charged them to my AmEx card, so the above statement cannot
be strictly true.
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (07/12/85)

> > AmEx REQUIRES that you get the customer's signature, hence no
> > AmEx telephone orders.
>
> I know of several merchants that will take American Express phone orders.

AmEx definitely takes phone orders.  A few months back, somebody got
hold of my husband's card number (off a carbon, I guess, now we're
very careful about that!).  They charged $800 of balloons and flowers
through mail-orders!  (I believe, though, that except for these things
and maybe a few others, anything you mail-order has to be sent to
your home address.)

	marie desjardins park

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/12/85)

> The "green" card has a yearly fee of $45 and has a certain (reasonable)
> charge limit.  College students with an offer of a $15,000 job can get one.

I just graduated last month and I remember all the literature I saw
saying the offer only needed to be for $10,000.  This didn't help me any
since I'm continuing my studies elsewhere.  But much to my surprise,
three days after graduation, a letter from AmEx came to me stating that
I had been "pre-approved" for a green card regardless of whether I had a
job at the time or not.  There was something else about them knowing
that I would soon be a responsible employee somewhere.  Being the
plastic-happy soul I am, I of course returned the completed form to see
if they were kidding or not.  Obviously, they weren't since yesterday I
found an envelope containing a hard, flat object with my name embossed on it.
This in spite of the fact that they know I won't be making a real salary
for at least four years.  Have any other recent grads received such?
--
					Brian C. Carty
					AT&T Bell Laboratories

che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) (07/15/85)

In article <1263@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>> I told them I wasn't going to sign a blank charge ticket.  They said that
>> was OK; I didn't have to sign it to be obligated to pay it.
>
>This is true.  If you read the fine print on your American Express contract,
>you'll see that it says that you are obligated to pay for a charge if you
>have expressed "intent to pay".  I'm not sure what intent to pay implies,
>but that fact has always concerned me regarding making telephone orders with
>a credit or charge card.
>--
When you rent a car, the contract also says you're liable to be billed
for any additional charges on your credit card.  This is why the rental
companies hate it when you pay in cash!  (Most don't allow a cash rental
without a deposit!)  I was stuck with a jacked-up bill from a rental
company for dropping a car off at LAX instead of downtown.  Since I
was told this was OK, it was a surprise to see a 30% increase in my
charge.  I had to write a letter to my credit card company, but they
handled it quite nicely.  (Good work at First Interstate Bank...)

--
Mitch Che
Pacific Bell

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (07/16/85)

> I told them I wasn't going to sign a blank charge ticket.  They said that
> was OK; I didn't have to sign it to be obligated to pay it.

I always make them put in an ammount.  Any ammount is better than a
blank entry.  They usually complain but always come up with an ammount
if you push hard enough.  Just keep telling them you won't sign a blank
check.  Ask them how much their deposit for cash would be.

If they come back with a huge ammount, say fine and have them put it down
before you sign it.  If you think it's too big just remember they could
write double that on a blank form AFTER you sign it.

Besides covering you against abuse it prevents them from tacking on
some add on charge.  They would have to alter the ammount.

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (07/18/85)

>> I told them I wasn't going to sign a blank charge ticket.  They said that
>> was OK; I didn't have to sign it to be obligated to pay it.
>
>I always make them put in an ammount.

The one time I was in that situation, an exact amount was not available
so I made them produce an estimate and then wrote clearly on the ticket
"Amount not to exceed $XXX.00"  That worked well.

BTW, if you plan to do something like this, let them make the impression
and put the ticket in your hand before discussing it (get your card back
too).  That way you hold the POWER OBJECT and they have to negotiate
with you!!!

D.Katz

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (07/22/85)

<<<<

  You also have to be careful when using a credit card to pay for a hotel
room. Hotels don't like to find out at checkout time that you exceeded your
credit limit and the card company won't give them authorization for the
room charge. So when you check in (and use your card) they will call in
and "reserve" an estimate of the room charges against your card. That way
they will get paid even if your card is stolen while staying at their fine
establishment.

  The problem is that they must assume that you are the advance agent for
a rock and roll band that likes to party when they make the estimate because
they make it high enough to cover anything short of a declared war. This
normally is not a problem since it is cleared as soon as the actual bill
is processed. But if you stay in several different hotels in a short period
of time then all of those estimates may combine to exceed your limit and
you will be stuck without use of your card.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (07/24/85)

> is processed. But if you stay in several different hotels in a short period
> of time then all of those estimates may combine to exceed your limit and
> you will be stuck without use of your card.

You can get a temporary extension on your credit limit to cover such things
if you ask in advance.  At least I could, 6 years ago.
--
  ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (07/29/85)

In article <69600026@hp-pcd.UUCP>, john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) writes:
>   You also have to be careful when using a credit card to pay for a hotel
> room....
> John Eaton
> !hplabs!hp-pcd!john

I suspect that a decline should be followed by a call to the 800 number.
Explain that you've used the card in five hotels this week and think
that you are over authorized. You will probably get the next authorization
approved.

Some notes...  There is NO mention of a credit limit in the AMEX cardmember
agreement.  Further, AMEX sells their card as better than VISA or MC because
they do not impose a "fixed" credit limit.  It is determined by your history
and needs.

I also suspect that car rentals are much more guilty of overauthorizing
than hotels.
--
			-edg

	UUCP:		{hplabs,dual,ptsfa}!well!micropro!edg
	USPS:		Ed Greenberg
			MicroPro Int'l Corp
			33 San Pablo Avenue; San Rafael, CA 94901
	MABELL:		415-499-4096
	COMPUSERVE:	76703,1070
	MCIMAIL:	EDG

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (07/30/85)

> Some notes...  There is NO mention of a credit limit in the AMEX cardmember
> agreement.  Further, AMEX sells their card as better than VISA or MC because
> they do not impose a "fixed" credit limit.  It is determined by your history
> and needs.
> 			Ed Greenberg

1. Correct there is no mention of a credit limit on Amex cards.
2. They do, however, expect you to pay the FULL amount on recipt of the bill.
3. There may be certain exceptions to this however when one buys items direct
   by mail order from Amex. You may be able to choose either a single payment
   or a few (3/6) monthly payments.
4. Visa/Mastercard bills may be payed off as desired ( which of course incures
   a nice piece of interest for the companies).

--
 [ It's not the end of the world....no it's not;
                  If it's the end of the world, well so what ? - Marti Webb ]