[net.consumers] BEGGARS AT THE DOOR

ran@bentley.UUCP (RA Novo) (08/02/85)

>The other night I  went to the  local shopping plaza.  Had to make two
>stops:  Pathmark and Kmart.  At both  establishments I was intercepted
>at the doorways  by a  group of people  waving tin  cans with slots in
>the  tops  asking for donations  for  <whatever the current cause is>.
>
>I don't mind giving something to  legitimate,  worthy  causes,  but in
>most cases,  these hawkers don't have  anything to identify themselves
>with whatever the  organization is.  The collection plates are usually
>soup cans  covered with  masking tape.  Shoot, anybody  could do that.
>Then they descend on the  shoppers like vultures on the splattered guts
>of some animal lying  along the road.  If you don't divvy-up,  you get
>insulted.  A lot of people  stuff their money  in the cans just to get
>rid of these beggars.

>Ken Kepple
>hoxna!kek   datakit: ho/bedrock/fred!kek
>AT&T-Bell Labs - Holmdel NJ 07733  201-949-6525  Cornet 8-233-6525
>...!{hocda, ihnp4, floyd!vax135!ariel!houti!hogpc}!houxm!hoxna!kek

I have to agree with this. In New York City, about four or five years
back, there started the existence? of a special kind of pan-handlers.
When one stopped at any light in the Bowery area, one was approached
by several misfortunates with squuegees in hand, who proceeded to wash
your windshield. Not to mention that they never asked whether you wanted
it cleaned or not, they just proceeded to clean it, and then if you
refused to give them a handout, you would have to sit through the rest of
the red light listening to their abuse. My main flame, however, is not
against these people. I have some pity on them, since they are misfortunate
vagrants. Lately there has been an increase in the number of street
windshield washers, and most of them are not vagrants. Recently,
stopping at a red light at another part of town, I was approached by a
squadron of about 10 kids ranging in age from about 14 to 17, all armed
with squeegees in hand. Some were even listening to their walkmen! Now
it is obvious that these kids have no need for handouts, as one can see
that they were all dressed in quite expensive and relatively new clothes.
All that they were doing was looking for video game money and fouling
up New York's traffic in the process (it's already quite fouled up to begin
with). The city should do something to control panhandling, since at
the rate that it's going, it's becoming quite a nuicance.

--

Robert A. Novo				"Captain! They put creatures
AT&T Bell Labs				 in our ears! They made us say

cffres@uvaee.UUCP (Chuck Ferrara) (08/04/85)

In article <551@bentley.UUCP> ran@bentley.UUCP (RA Novo) writes:

>I have to agree with this. In New York City, about four or five years
>back, there started the existence? of a special kind of pan-handlers.
>When one stopped at any light in the Bowery area, one was approached
>by several misfortunates with squuegees in hand, who proceeded to wash
>your windshield. Not to mention that they never asked whether you wanted
>it cleaned or not, they just proceeded to clean it, and then if you
>refused to give them a handout, you would have to sit through the rest of
>the red light listening to their abuse.

Not only that, the car was usually cleaner before they attacked it with
the slimey rag. I think they should owe ME money :-)