[net.consumers] Refrigerator questions

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/10/85)

  I've been comparing refrigerators, and am leaning  towards
  buying  at Sears.  The lower priced units seem to have ABS
  plastic linings on the inside, as opposed to porcelain  on
  steel.

  Having always	owned steel lined refrigerators, I'm  trying
  to determine possible	disadvantages of the plastic ones:

    1.	The plastic may	absorb and retain food odors.

    2.	The plastic interior walls may crack.

  Anyone have experience with plastic interiors?

  Should I get a fully	automatic  self-defrosting  freezer?
  Never	owned one, and I know they require more	electricity,
  but I'm tired	of removing the	ice.

  The Sears units are supposed to be made by Whirlpool.	  My
  present  Whirpool refrigerator works fine.  Any caveats or
  recommendations?
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/14/85)

Here is a summary of responses received to my posting: "Refrigerator
questions (plastic vs steel, self-defrost, etc.)":

==========

==========

========

========

==========

> From: ihnp4!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher
>
> Yes, my fridge is self-defrosting.  It is 18.?? cubic feet, freezer on top.
> I considered the side-by-side models, but unless you get a truly HUGE one,
> the narowness of the shelves makes them unappealing (at least to me).  The
> Ward's has a nice full-width shelf in the freezer; very handy.
>
> Cheers,
> Topher Eliot                Cyb Systems, Austin, TX         (512) 458-3224
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/18/85)

[feed me]

Re: the summary:

My parents have had a self-defrost unit for ~20 yrs, and NEVER has
the timer failed.  I don't know why one of your respondants has had
so much trouble, but I think it is unusual.

In reagards to the ice cubes subliming:  How long do you keep your
ice cubes? [ :-) ]  I haven't noticed such a thing in my unit, maybe
you have an overly hot defrost cycle.

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA